Model Cars Magazine Forum

What are You using As A Clear Topcoat

Because its a because non-yellowing and self-leveling, I`ve been airbrushing Johnson & Johnson Future aka Pledge Revive It Floor Gloss as a clear top coat for awhile. Also, its not to hot for ANY kind of base color coat; be it lacquer, acrylic,enamel etc PLUS it will not harm decals. However, I`m interested in venturing out of my comfort zone and trying other clear coats that are airbrush-able. I prefer airbrushing because you have far more control of the spray output and it`s more cost effective than rattle can. So I`m interested in what you good folks are using as a clear top coat. All suggestions and input are welcomed. Thanks for replying in advance.

IMG_0705.jpg

Edited by 69NovaYenko
  • Like 1

• 69NovaYenko changed the title to What are You using As A Clear Topcoat

Well, It's not air brushable, (unless you want to decant it) and it's only usable over lacquer, but I use nothing but Duplicolor "Clear Protective Top Coat".

I love the stuff because it sprays on so nicely, with great control with the fan spray nozzle, and goes on so thin that multiple coats are possible, which allows for polishing depth without hiding detail, and it dries to a very tough, durable finish.

It's not initially as glossy as some other clear coats, but it polishes out to a very smooth, shiny and realistic looking finish.

I routinely use as many as 5 coats of the stuff, right out of the spray can, without any detail hide.

image.jpeg.bfe4392fa7d283522cb0bbf32fca634b.jpeg

Steve

• Like 3

WOW...StevenGuthmiller what an AWESOME finish...it looks 7miles deep!!! 😍By the way what are you using to polish out the Duplicolor Clear Protective Top Coat????  Also, do you know if it will yellows with the passing of time, in particularity white color coats?

Edited by 69NovaYenko

Future WILL yellow over time. But, it's not a big deal unless you put it over white or a similar light color.

20220614_091245-1.jpg.a83318f24f7ff940ef81823562b04c70.jpg

20220614_091304-1.jpg.9a60c5835753e0476e61a400627ee9bf.jpg

I use Tamiya TS -13 clear straight out of the can. It's sprays really nice and lays down super thin. I'm sure they make a similar product for an airbrush. I've used it over a couple of white paint jobs. Fifteen to sixteen years later, no yellowing!

8 hours ago, 69NovaYenko said:

WOW...StevenGuthmiller what an AWESOME finish...it looks 7miles deep!!! 😍By the way what are you using to polish it out the Duplicolor Clear Protective Top Coat????  Also, do you know if it will yellow with the passing of time, in particularity white color coats?

I use Micro-Mesh pads and Novus polish, with a little Turtle Wax "Scratch and Swirl Remover" at the end.

I know that a lot of builders look for ways to apply paint to avoid any polishing, which is just great.

But my opinion is that even a shiny paint job can benefit from some polishing.

To my eye, raw paint can often have a "hard candy" appearance that can sometimes make a model look like a model instead of something closer to the real thing.

After all, the absolute best automotive painters still "cut and polish" their projects before they go out the door.

As far as I know, yellowing isn't a problem with Duplicolor clear.

I have several models in white that are at least 8 to 10 years old, and there is no signs of yellowing.

image.jpeg.bfd4c17d75fb88b33514912c9dbf3e4f.jpeg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, 69NovaYenko said:

StevenGuthmiller many thanks for the followup tips. After seeing your results I`ll have to give it a try on my next lacquer project.👍

Fortunately, we as modelers have many different tools and materials at our disposal, and this is just one.

Give it a try some time.

It may be for you, it may not.

Steve