Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lifted Pickup Parts

Hello everybody. I recently purchased the Deserter 1984 GMC kit and I am wanting to build a lifted show truck like something you would see at SEMA or on the Youtube Channel for Custom Offsets, a company based in Wisconsin that builds custom lifted trucks. I remember seeing a website a while back that had wheels and other parts for these types of builds, but it was so long ago I don't remember what it was. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Maybe if you posted pictures of the type of parts you are looking for, we could point you in the proper direction. I'd also suggest scanning the forum for builds like the one you are wanting to build to see if others have listed sources for the parts they used.

Many of the custom trucks use airbags and multi link suspensions, relatively easy to scratch build from plastic stock.

In the not so distant past, I remember someone making lifted/arched leaf springs, but the detail was only on one side. That lead me to start making my own from strip styrene,round stock, etc.

A guy from Texas was making air bag and coil over set ups, but he disappeared on me and others, not sure why.

Off the Sprue has a lifted leaf set up, looks nice, but very "universal".

Also, I think Iceman now makes one, not cheap, but a complete setup.

I have encouraged a few guys to offer these, because I would like to see it also. But if not, scratch building I will be.

If you scroll down in this thread…Art has a really good tutorial on making leaf springs. With a proper jig you can make any arch you want. If the Deserter springs are under the axles, you may be able to cut them off and mount them above the axles? I don’t know if Scenes Unlimited is open again, but they make some real nice 4x4 rims and tires.

If you have a way to get them printed, I can send you a file for some leaf springs that I designed for a Chevy truck. 2 sided details, at about 8in lift. 

Are you going to buy the Etsy wheels, or are you looking for something else? For a small fee, I can design something exactly like you want and send you the file. Again, you would need to find someone to 3D print it for you. 

I'm wanting to build a truck in this type of style, but of course with the GMC Deserter pickup. This is a SEMA truck and seems to be a popular style truck build. I'm looking for wheels, suspension, bumpers, or anything else that may this type of build.

SEMA_monster_trucks.jpg

54 minutes ago, olschoolkid said:

I'm wanting to build a truck in this type of style, but of course with the GMC Deserter pickup. This is a SEMA truck and seems to be a popular style truck build. I'm looking for wheels, suspension, bumpers, or anything else that may this type of build.

SEMA_monster_trucks.jpg

OK, you are looking at full custom, I do not know of anyone that is going to have what you want, at least not all of it. 

There was a site that I can't seem to recall the name of that sold resin parts for Pull Trucks, like tractor pull etc. He may have the axles. 

The wheels are going to be Etsy or Ebay unless you are looking for something truly custom or specific. Then I may be able to help. 

I think this could be a great project, I enjoy stuff like this. 

You  might look under some of the AMT or Lindberg Monster Truck to see if you can find suspension parts that might work.

Axles / Trusses will be scratch builds, but you might find some other parts to harvest.

Good Luck!

The thing with custom SEMA trucks is that they are just that- Custom- and many parts are one off pieces. Much of what is on that truck you could probably build yourself with some plastic styrene tubes and sheet plastic. If you watch Texas Metal on MotorTrend TV, you will see that when they build trucks like that they custom fabricate those suspensions for the specific truck. Iceman Collections has some custom wheels and tires and when he opens back up you might find something to use, same with Scenes Unlimited. Also check out Fireball Modelworks, he has some cool off road stuff including wheels, tires, light bars, winches.

• 2 weeks later...