Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tractor-Trailer Air Lines

I am finishing up the AMT 1972(ish) Autocar A64B.  The kit comes with some black vinyl tubing for the tractor-trailer air lines.  I want it to look moderately correct, so about how long were these hoses generally?  Or were they vehicle specific?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Jim B said:

I am finishing up the AMT 1972(ish) Autocar A64B.  The kit comes with some black vinyl tubing for the tractor-trailer air lines.  I want it to look moderately correct, so about how long were these hoses generally?  Or were they vehicle specific?

Thanks.

12' to 15'

Minimum length of the 'glad-hand' airlines was enough not to pull-up tight on a maximum angle turn -- or when backing 'jack-knife' style.  Too short and they broke.  Thus, they always drooped down in the old days, then when the 'coily' style evolved just dangled and bounced.  Lots of trucks, especially conventionals with long wheel-bases (twin screws) had jack-staffs to support them and provide a mounting place when not pulling a trailer.  I used to see small memo-type pads with coily-type retaining cords for the ball-point pens they carried; seemed like a good simulation of the latter day type.  

We always spat on the seals of the air-line glad-hands and rubbed them on our palm to make sure (?) of air-tighness.  Well, you had to depend on those trailer brakes on long grades, man!  I remember the time in '73 when I was comin down Stirling City grade with a load of stumps, there by Magalia road...    Wick

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, W Humble said:

Minimum length of the 'glad-hand' airlines was enough not to pull-up tight on a maximum angle turn -- or when backing 'jack-knife' style.  Too short and they broke.  Thus, they always drooped down in the old days, then when the 'coily' style evolved just dangled and bounced.  Lots of trucks, especially conventionals with long wheel-bases (twin screws) had jack-staffs to support them and provide a mounting place when not pulling a trailer.  I used to see small memo-type pads with coily-type retaining cords for the ball-point pens they carried; seemed like a good simulation of the latter day type.  

We always spat on the seals of the air-line glad-hands and rubbed them on our palm to make sure (?) of air-tighness.  Well, you had to depend on those trailer brakes on long grades, man!  I remember the time in '73 when I was comin down Stirling City grade with a load of stumps, there by Magalia road...    Wick

I always would wet the seals after inspecting them for wear. Always carried spares.