Model Cars Magazine Forum

33 Ford/Eliminator

I built his kit about 25-30 years ago. So, my memory isa bit fuzzy, but as I recall it is a good kit. I had no issues I remember. 

While I like this kit, and would not turn one down if I had a chance to get it, they are very dated. The car was done in the 80's and reflects that to the extreme. Billet everythnig, colorful stripes, very dated wheels, etc. 

All in all a solid kit, just dated due to the subject matter. 

Edited by Oldmopars

This tooling actually started out as this in the early 60's

image.png.aab0cffdbe4dafcc2a16bd63ff4ae20d.png

It went through a couple renditions before Monogram made the savvy move of capitalizing on ZZ Tops resurgence in the early 80's by almost completely altering the tooling. Even though the engne is supposed to be a SBC you can still see the vestiges of the Pontiac black from the original kit.

I built the ZZ car back when it was new, but i was still a brush painting, gluey fingered kid, so my recollection of how good the kit was is not really valid. i have however seen this kit turned into some pretty great street and hot rods over the years. I really need to pick up the new version of the ZZ car to try to build a replica of the 1:1

• Like 1

It's not a particularly good kit as far as detail and being representative of the real car. As stated above, it's based on very old and very basic tooling. It scales out to close to 1/20(?). I used lots of parts from the kit over the years, I don't think there are any problems with fitment building it.  If you don't expect much, it can be a fun quick build, I suppose...have fun with it! -RRR

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/28/2022 at 6:40 AM, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

It's not a particularly good kit as far as detail and being representative of the real car. As stated above, it's based on very old and very basic tooling. It scales out to close to 1/20(?). I used lots of parts from the kit over the years, I don't think there are any problems with fitment building it.  If you don't expect much, it can be a fun quick build, I suppose...have fun with it! -RRR

There was a pretty in depth conversation here about the 34 kits, including the Monogram kit. I seem to recall in the various conversations I've seen here and on TRaK that the Monogram 3 window actually scales out pretty well to 1/24. I think@Ace-Garageguyeven did some real world measuring?

edit- found the thread