Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tom "The Mongoose" McEwen Duster funny car

Wolfangel

I should have been posting this as I went along, but I didn't.  So....here are some pictures of the process.  The car is finished....I just wanted to show a few pictures I took along the way.  These pictures are of when the chassis was actually completely done....but I decided to pull the front suspension off of it and redo the tires (going from MH Racemasters to Goodyear) along with adding chrome valve covers and redo the spark plug wiring.  

IMG_E2958.JPG

IMG_3031.JPG

IMG_3032.JPG

And here is the finished product.  This is my FIRST time ever doing a 1/24 scale model to this level of detail.  The details are as follows......spark plug wires, fuel lines, brake lines, sheet aluminum chassis side panels, aluminum strips on fuel cell, parachute release cord and chute cables tied to the frame, seat belts made from tape and tied to the frame rails, scratch built injector lines, headers braces, photo-etch throttle linkage, tire decals front and rear, modified the interior "tins" to sit body lower.  This took me about a week and a half to build and I am very happy with how it came out.

DSCF8520.JPG

DSCF8521.JPG

DSCF8522.JPG

DSCF8523.JPG

IMG_2999.JPG

DSCF8524.JPG

Edited by Wolfangel
  • Like 2

On 11/18/2022 at 5:16 PM, cobraman said:

Looks great !  Done in a week and a half ?  Did you not sleep ?

23 hours ago, sflam123 said:

BEAUTIFUL!!  The paint on that is PITA to mask off esp. at the nose.  Fantastic job!  

I did sleep yes.....I just work really efficiently.  I can actually build 2 models a week sometimes.  This is my 20th build for this year.  :)

The way I did the masking was......I cut out the decal that goes on the whole side of the car.....used that as a template for masking off the white.  It worked perfect and actually came out better than I thought it would.