Model Cars Magazine Forum

Larry Hess Rambler

jdcar32

Has anyone built the Larry Hess Rambler ? He competed in the 1967 Rebel 400. Everyone knows about Penske's AMC NASCAR efforts but I've never seen a build of this car. Perhaps a Johan Rambler kit bashed with a Johan Petty kit?  Would like to see a build or hear some of your comments.

R (1).jpeg

larryhess2.jpg.72e89806cc2eb1a5ec6eede859437345.jpg

Edited by jdcar32

4 hours ago, JustJake said:

Being a NASCAR fan, AMC owner and having bought that AMC in Charlotte.....WOW!!!!!! Nice work

1 hour ago, Shark said:

I was looking at MCW's website and the resin kit is shown as in stock. Didn't see anything about decals. I think slot car fever does them. 

There are no decals to go along with it anymore.  And all resins (which they just recently got back into doing again) are considered 'backorders' until a move is completed.  https://mcwfinishes.com/

On 1/20/2023 at 9:11 PM, JustJake said:

I hope I didn't leave the impression that, that is my build. It is not. Just thought it was cool.

I didn't and didn't think anyone else should have. You mentioned Dave, he built it. I'm glad you dug the pictures up and posted them. If I remember correctly, he built it as a curbside from his resin kit with wheels, tires, and racing interior he was producing at the time. 

• Like 1

From this website about Fonda speedway I found this picture while looking for engine specs,  http://www.catamountstadium.com/fondaspdwy_GNPage.html

I did find that at the 24 hours of Daytona in '66 Hess ran a Marlin https://www.marlinautoclub.com/Marlin_Racing/Racing.html

LarryHess_AMCAmbassador44_AtFonda_GregRickes.jpg

Edited by JustJake
added context
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I did some checking on Hess and he mostly drove a Ford in 1966. He competed in 3 races in the Rambler. Bridgehampton, Fonda, and Columbia. Columbia was the only race he finished in the Rambler. He actually out qualified 6 other cars there and finished 17th out of 26 cars. That's pretty amazing considering he gave up 100 cubic inches to his competitors at Columbia, if he did use the 327, which was the biggest engine that came in the Ambassador that year. He tried to run it at Charlotte and Bristol but failed to qualify at those tracks. He also drove a Rambler at 1 race in 1967 but it might not have been the car modeled in this thread. He was last at Greenville after blowing an engine and qualified 22nd out of 23 cars. He ran 5 laps before losing that engine. You can go to Racing Reference if you'd like to check it for yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1