Model Cars Magazine Forum

32 Ford Classic Cruiser

bluestringer

Good idea on the exhaust, James. I think I would fill those ejector pin marks on the seat back and maybe flock(😖) The floor or make a floor mat to cover the ones on the floor.  I went back to Ollie's today (for coffee) and, to my wife's dismay, bought a Revell 1:48 Stearman PT-17, Navy version. They also had a Ford Tri-motor but in 1:72. Did your store have a variety of these kits? Check your wheels. See if one of them has an off-center hub hole. Mine does 😧

12 hours ago, customline said:

Good idea on the exhaust, James. I think I would fill those ejector pin marks on the seat back and maybe flock(😖) The floor or make a floor mat to cover the ones on the floor.  I went back to Ollie's today (for coffee) and, to my wife's dismay, bought a Revell 1:48 Stearman PT-17, Navy version. They also had a Ford Tri-motor but in 1:72. Did your store have a variety of these kits? Check your wheels. See if one of them has an off-center hub hole. Mine does 😧

Those on the seat back don't show when it's installed. I'm not very good with the body work but I'm going to try to come up with something to cover those on the floor. My Ollie's did not have those kits, they never have very many of anything. My wheels seem to be ok, I got them all installed without a problem.

49 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

Those on the seat back don't show when it's installed. I'm not very good with the body work but I'm going to try to come up with something to cover those on the floor. My Ollie's did not have those kits, they never have very many of anything. My wheels seem to be ok, I got them all installed without a problem.

Well, okay then. Can't wait to start the roadster...and you're almost done! 

2 hours ago, customline said:

Well, okay then. Can't wait to start the roadster...and you're almost done! 

Well after further observation those pin marks do partially show after installing the tub. I'll try and fill them. I'm getting close to finishing, but I forgot to paint the hood parts and I have no more gloss grape. I will need to make a trip to HL to pickup another bottle.

2 hours ago, bluestringer said:

Well after further observation those pin marks do partially show after installing the tub. I'll try and fill them. I'm getting close to finishing, but I forgot to paint the hood parts and I have no more gloss grape. I will need to make a trip to HL to pickup another bottle.

I do that all the time 🥴

Just a little history lesson, the kit you're building originated as this kit. Came out in the mid-60's, and has gone through quite a few modifications to the tooling over the years, most notably a completely different engine and rolling stock.

image.jpeg.b78b55e31e7b45eb68ee5edc2a1ef374.jpeg

Still builds into a great hot rod, but for those of you wanting to build fenderless just seek out the Revell 32

Here's my latest build using this kit

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Just a little history lesson, the kit you're building originated as this kit. Came out in the mid-60's, and has gone through quite a few modifications to the tooling over the years, most notably a completely different engine and rolling stock.

image.jpeg.b78b55e31e7b45eb68ee5edc2a1ef374.jpeg

Still builds into a great hot rod, but for those of you wanting to build fenderless just seek out the Revell 32

Here's my latest build using this kit

Thanks. Heck I may have built that back in the day. Too old to remember now.

On 3/11/2023 at 7:30 AM, bluestringer said:

I'm planning on just wiring the engine, but after looking at it I'm not very satisfied with the kit engine, I may look in my parts box and see if I have something else that will work.

I'm a little late in the day here, but the 6 carb intake and finned valve covers from the Monogram 30 Ford Woody fit on this engine like they were made for it, and give it a nice trad look. I love the axles and brake backing plates in the Deuce kit. Very accurate for an period hot rod. Best ever in fact, IMO. 

2vE4novdxQKCP.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluestringer said:
7 hours ago, customline said:

It looks Iike they eliminated some good stuff. Nice deuce, looks good in yellow 

Yea, like the removable top and the spare tire. I may have a top that will work.

Top, yes. But this kit never had a spare. BTW, a little easter egg for Little Deuce fans, this release and the Basic Builder issue (only) have the front mag wheel center caps for the Little Deuce on the chrome tree.

20230311_113147.jpg

20230311_113216.jpg

Edited by Dave Darby

James! I was just poking around the "everything else" threads and came upon your WWII aircraft build. I thought it was interesting that many of us gearheads are closet "air-heads" 🤔Could it be that many of us baby-boomers had WWII daddies that flew those warbirds? I think so. 

3 hours ago, customline said:

James! I was just poking around the "everything else" threads and came upon your WWII aircraft build. I thought it was interesting that many of us gearheads are closet "air-heads" 🤔Could it be that many of us baby-boomers had WWII daddies that flew those warbirds? I think so. 

My Dad served in WW2, but he didn't fly any warbirds. But I do like the old warbirds and some of the more modern aircraft. Here's a couple I'm going to try to get built in the near future. That helo is really nice, it's a Christmas gift from my grand boys.

BTW, I can't find any Testor's Gloss Grape at HL, so I'll probably be going hoodless on the 32 until I get some. I did find gloss purple, it my be the same, I'm going to test it and see.

IMGP8785.JPG

IMGP8788.JPG

My Dad served in WW2, but he didn't fly any warbirds. But I do like the old warbirds and some of the more modern aircraft. Here's a couple I'm going to try to get built in the near future. That helo is really nice, it's a Christmas gift from my grand boys.

BTW, I can't find any Testor's Gloss Grape at HL, so I'll probably be going hoodless on the 32 until I get some. I did find gloss purple, it my be the same, I'm going to test it and see.

IMGP8785.JPG

IMGP8788.JPG

Wow, Jim, that chopper is going to keep you busy for a good long time! Big scale too! The Mustang is on my list. I'm starting at the beginning. I'm going to build all the planes my Dad flew. He was an instructor and taught French cadets how to fly our planes shortly after the end of the war. First up is the PT-17 that I got at Ollie's (thanks to you, sir) . When I was a toddler he built for me all of the ones he had hours in. I don't remember what became of them. I feel like I should reconstitute the collection. I don't know what took me so long but when I saw that Stearman, it all came crashing down on me. It's a beautiful aircraft. Dad was Army Air Corps and the kit includes both Navy and Army markings. Oh, no, that gloss purple is just a solid color. You need the grape metallic.

IMG_3875.thumb.jpg.042220774fb1e0115069cd91a6583489.jpg

Edited by customline

On 3/15/2023 at 5:26 PM, bluestringer said:

Yea, like the removable top and the spare tire. I may have a top that will work.

I may have caused some confusion. The yellow build is my version of a miniaturized Big Deuce. For those familiar with the Big and Little Deuce kits Monogram made quite a few changes to the design of the Big Deuce when they made the Little Deuce tooling. So for this build I added parts to make it more like the Big Deuce like the spare, the quick change rear, wheels and other smaller items.

Here is a true Little Deuce I did, using a later edition that was molded in black, but with Little Deuce pieces 

1631704594289 1631704650641

• Like 2

On 3/16/2023 at 12:04 PM, bluestringer said:

IMGP8785.JPG

IMGP8788.JPG

Blue, Not to scare you off, but FYI that Monogram P-51 is a good kit, but the tool was first engineered in the 1960's. It has had a Lot of plastic pumped through it. It has decent detail, but is now a real fiddly build due to worn molds. I have had several of that boxing and no two kits are exactly the same in regards to fit & finish. Not Unbuildable by any means but it can take some skills to get a good result out of it.

Good Luck.

1 minute ago, stavanzer said:

Blue, Not to scare you off, but FYI that Monogram P-51 is a good kit, but the tool was first engineered in the 1960's. It has had a Lot of plastic pumped through it. It has decent detail, but is now a real fiddly build due to worn molds. I have had several of that boxing and no two kits are exactly the same in regards to fit & finish. Not Unbuildable by any means but it can take some skills to get a good result out of it.

Good Luck.

My adult son bought an AMT Batmobile kit to build with his 10 yr. old. He texted me earlier today in a rage about that kit. "Worst model kit EVER !"   You win some, you lose some. 😕

3 hours ago, customline said:

My adult son bought an AMT Batmobile kit to build with his 10 yr. old. He texted me earlier today in a rage about that kit. "Worst model kit EVER !"   You win some, you lose some. 😕

I've had issues with the AMT Batmobile myself. I feel his pain.

23 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Good Luck.

Thanks for the info. I'll be on watch for any problems. But if I get frustrated enough with it, I'll put it back in the box.

I've searched for the Gloss Grape paint I need at my local HL today, but none to be had. I think that's where I got the other, it's been a while. I was also in Tallahassee Fl. last Wednesday and checked a HL there, no dice. Looks like I will have to order it. I was planning on painting the dash body color, and I still need to paint the hood parts, but I may just go ahead and paint the dash interior color and go hood less until I can get some.

I've searched for the Gloss Grape paint I need at my local HL today, but none to be had. I think that's where I got the other, it's been a while. I was also in Tallahassee Fl. last Wednesday and checked a HL there, no dice. Looks like I will have to order it. I was planning on painting the dash body color, and I still need to paint the hood parts, but I may just go ahead and paint the dash interior color and go hood less until I can get some.

Hobbylinc.com.   they have it.  I get almost everything from them..   Do it now. 🥴

Edited by customline