Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 Ferrari 290 MM (Mille Miglia) in 1/43 scale

Hello,

A good friend of mine sent me this:
It is an all metal, 1/43 scale, 1956 Ferrari 290 MM. 
My understanding is that Ferrari built only 4 of these cars in 1956. It was designed to compete in the Italian Mille Miglia (1,000 miles) race.
Eugenio Castellotti won the race in one.  Juan Manuel Fangio finished 4th in another 290 MM.  All top five were Ferraris.

Back to the model: It is a F.D.S. Automodelli made in Napoli Italy.  No idea on when it was manufactured as there are no dates anywhere. By the look of the information sheet, it must be several decades old.  Could not find any info on this manufacturer but it seems it is no longer in business. 
No instructions needed as there are only 4 parts not counting wheels and tires: Body, chassis/interior, steering wheel and shifter.  That's it.
It is a humble simple kit. Perfect for a fun project. Not some contest contender or anything like that, which I don't like anyways.

2v2eKsBNFxJ21ND.png

2v2eKsBVrxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eKsBSNxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eKsBhGxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eKsBCnxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eKsBLqxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eKPa5GxJ21ND.jpg

Still debating whether to do Fangio's or Castellotti's car.

Thanks,
Ismael

• Like 1

Hello,

Thank you guys!

Removed mold lines.  Turns out the metal is very soft.  Probably softer than plastic.  The panel lines are almost non existent. tried to deepen them but there is basically no groove to follow. 
Cleaned and lightly polished and sanded the body. This will be a bigger challenge than I thought. The casting is very porous and rough. This will take a lot of bodywork to fix.

2v2eKPaGFxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eKPanhxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eKPaqCxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eKPaFLxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eKPadgxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eKPa23xJ21ND.gif

Thanks,
Ismael

Edited by ismaelg
  • Like 2

Hello,

Just as I suspected. A light mist coat of self etching primer and the panel lines are already disappearing while the porosity is yelling.

2v2eKPayWxJ21ND.jpg

By now you should all be aware I'm not normal  :)
Repeat with me: PPSRQR
Putty
Primer
Sanding
Rescribing
Question your mental health state
Repeat

After 3 or 4 cycles we are here. A long way to go but going in the right direction.

2v2eK4UfqxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eK4UAFxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,
Ismael

Edited by ismaelg
  • Like 1

Hello,

Looking at references, there are a lot of little details that are wrong.  In their defense, this was probably mastered half a century ago with little access to reference material or the real car.

Can you tell what has been eliminated, what has been re-scribed and what has been newly scribed?
2v2eKW5dJxJ21ND.jpg

Let me help you: :) 
2v2eKW5q9xJ21ND.jpg

Lost count but this is probably the 10th round.
2v2eKW55HxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,
Ismael

• Like 1

Hello,

I thought of fluorescent green with sky blue to purple color shift...

After a spectometrical evaluation I found that Corvette Torch Red is over 99% genetically compatible at the molecular level to Ferrari Rosso Corsa in the CMYK color spectrum of visible light under the Hue saturation and brightness characteristics.

Translation: I'm saving my Rosso Corsa for an upcoming Ferrari race car project and Corvette Torch Red is the closest I had.   🤣

2v2e1GJW5xJ21ND.jpg

2v2e1GJg2xJ21ND.jpg

Let it dry a day or two before deciding if another coat is needed or go straight to masking and painting the yellow nose.

Thanks,
Ismael

• Like 1

That would have been cast in the early to mid 1980s. 

If you haven't figured it out yet, the material is White Metal.  An alloy of mostly lead with some tin and antimony.  FDS tended to use an alloy heavy on the lead and sometimes not the cleanest at that.  The porosity and dirt are the by products of that.

I used to cast white metal car kits starting in 1980.  FDS was in business then and while one of the early "mainstream" manufacturers, their quality was surpassed by many in that same era.

You're doing a great job with it!