Model Cars Magazine Forum

1929 Ford Roadster A-V8 Hot Rod

Dennis Lacy

Well, my ‘29 Ford Roadster A-V8 is finally “under glass†and I am quite pleased with the results. Actually, I get a big goofy grin every time I look at it. It’s a weird feeling when a car project gets finished. After hours of work and imagining what it’s going be like, all of the sudden it’s done and you’re sitting there looking at it.

The purpose of this build was to pay homage to my favorite era of Hot Rods, the immediate post-war of 1946-1948. Actually, I’m quite fanatical about this narrow window in the past, when hot rods were more than just a pretty face at a car show. These cars were often times the owners only mode of transportation and had to double as their race car on the weekends where they competed for top speed bragging rights on the dry-lake beds of Southern California. Within the next few years peoples priorities would change with the popularity of hot rod shows and magazine coverage. People started competing on an appearance level with fancy paint and lots of chrome, major racing interest shifted to drag racing and just like that the romance of the dry-lakes era was gone.

Despite the 1:1 movement of the last 10 years (or so) toward traditional hot rods, many of them are over-done with all the gizmos and gadgets the builder can hang on them. However, back in the day this was rarely the case as the average hot rod owner couldn’t afford all those fancy race parts. Typically, the cars were simple in appearance and appointment with the emphasis on speed.

So here is my “average†guys Roadster, a ‘29 Ford without fenders, a few tasteful (yet affordable) body upgrades like the ‘32 grill, custom 3-piece hood and chopped ‘n chromed windshield. A dropped axle with split wishbone, juice brakes and disc wheels fitted with ‘48 caps and all painted black for simple and affordable. A nicely “built†Flathead V8 with all the popular speed equipment and dual glass-pack exhaust. A nice tuck ‘n roll interior with a Stewart Warner instrument panel, ‘37 wheel and hot water heater for those cold days. Last but not least, a clean and simple Maroon paint job - not perfect, but not bad either.

Build thread: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.p...t=0#entry155002

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2049.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

IMG_2052.jpg

IMG_2053.jpg

IMG_2058.jpg

IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2079.jpg

IMG_2078.jpg

IMG_2069.jpg

A kitbashing tour de force! Anyone who missed the W.I.P. is missing something very special.

Dennis, you have kept your "eye on the prize" the whole way through and you deserve all the goofy grins you can muster. Your A-V8 captures the spirit of a monochrome world full of of young guys glad to be alive and in one piece, living at home and building their rods on $50.00 a month demobilization money, dressing in the clothes they brought back with them from the war. It was indeed a tiny window of time, perhaps 2-3 years at best, a world that changed almost immediately with the inflation of the end of the 40's and the prosperity of the 50's and 60's. A magical twilight time perhaps, but one that informs every hot rod that was ever built from then on. And this build has nailed the look and feel of this period big time! Corgrats! ;)

PS: I love this passage: "...this narrow window in the past, when hot rods were more than just a pretty face at a car show. These cars were often times the owners only mode of transportation and had to double as their race car on the weekends where they competed for top speed bragging rights on the dry-lake beds of Southern California. Within the next few years peoples priorities would change with the popularity of hot rod shows and magazine coverage. People started competing on an appearance level with fancy paint and lots of chrome, major racing interest shifted to drag racing and just like that the romance of the dry-lakes era was gone." An image worth repeating in one-two-five! :lol:

PPS: "...Last but not least, a clean and simple Maroon paint job - not perfect, but not bad either." Yes indeed!

Edited by gbk1

Hey Dennis...I'm new here and not an expert on cars from this era; but from what I've seen and read I believe you've really nailed a "very nice" late 40s style Hot Rod! I do have a question though....how'd you get Vern Tardel to help you with a model? :lol:

Aloha...Pete ;)

I loved the work in progress and to see this one finished is inspiring, it turned out great!thanks for the history lessons and multitude of tips and techniques.We need more start to finish projects that clearly state the intentions from the beginning and follow it to the end .again great job

I can't recall if you mentioned it on the W.I.P., but what maroon did you use? Also, what was the source of those nice pie-crust slicks? I have a pair in my parts stash but fear using them in case I can't replace them (silly of me I know...). They were given to me so I don't know where they came from.

Edited by gbk1

Now THAT'S a HotRod!!!! Pure,simple,an Bad as hale! My Big Brudder had a freind, Lyle Pegouski, who had one jus like that only it was dirty Primer Black, a GREAT color. It's one of the first times I had seen a Flattie out inna open,rather than between a Ford/Merc's fenders. GREAT BUILD, brings back ALOT of happy memories! :):lol::P

I can't recall if you mentioned it on the W.I.P., but what maroon did you use? Also, what was the source of those nice pie-crust slicks? I have a pair in my parts stash but fear using them in case I can't replace them (silly of me I know...). They were given to me so I don't know where they came from.

Bernard, the paint is Tamiya Maroon TS11 over dark gray Duplicolor primer. I'm not exactly sure what the origin of the rear tires is. I forget where, but someone mentioned in a thread that they were in some AMT kits in the 60's. I found two sets, plus a slightly wider set with otherwise identical markings, in a stash of my Dad's old kits and parts.

And thank you to everyone who has commented on this build. I appreciate all your compliments!