Model Cars Magazine Forum

Alyn

Here's some pics of the 40 Ford I built for Cranky's Christmas Contest and first attempt at a rat rod. I tried some weathering techniques, but tried to keep things in moderation. Paint is Krylon rattle can. I used a Ken Hamilton tutorial to make the Mexican blanket panels for the bench seat. Tires and wheels are from the Revell 67 Chevelle pro street kit.

IMG_7723b.jpg

IMG_7728b.jpg

IMG_7729b.jpg

IMG_7788b.jpg

Edited by Alyn

Thanks a bunch guys. This is the car that pulled me away from working on my 29 Roadster. It had my full attention for 2 months and was finished just in time for the deadline. Here's a couple more to show the stance and scratch built Caddy style taillights.

The headers, windshield visor, door hinges and taillight bezels are brass. The Chevelle wheels are the ones that have the funky Chevy emblems. I drilled them out, stripped the chrome and refinished them in Duplicolor chrome. Then added the lug nuts and valve stems.

IMG_7694b.jpg

IMG_7770b.jpg

IMG_7708b.jpg

By the way, you guys that are familiar with the 40 Ford should notice a few subtle changes. Obviously the top is chopped. The rear window is reshaped and enlarged, the bottom of the doors are raised to create a rocker panel and the trickiest of all; the trunk profile is shortened with an increased rate of curve (in the side view) and the rear valance panel removed. The net effect is the loss of about a foot in length at the rear. This is more than canceled out by moving the front axle forward about a foot and a half. Its non dropped 34 Ford axle attached to a new front cross-member with a suicide mount providing the lowered stance. The radiator shell is a heavily modified 32 shell, tilted back 10 degrees, reshaped where it meets the radiator and widened with side bolsters for attaching the non-existent fenders. Headlight buckets are pen caps and the headlight bezels are scratch built from heavy wall aluminum tubing.

The creative juices musta been really flowing on this one. So much stuff that contributes to the overall impact... not just detail for its own sake. Very impressive (and yeah, the inner door panels are mega - pure sculpture!) Two thumbs up! 113-vi.gif

wow!!! love how you did the door!!

thanks

mike

It was very fun to participate in the "event" with ya Alyn!

Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Thanks all for the interest. Sounds like the time spent on the doors was good time. Glad I didn't have them covered in Naugahyde :lol:

Same back at ya Tim. It was all good fun; for most of us anyway :lol:

I thought your ploy was pretty clever, but didn't want to say so at the time. It seemed to work to. When you finally showed your build, everyone was overwhelmingly positive. For good reason to. Your Vette is a super clean build and a clever concept.

As far as what I come up with next, I'm a one trick pony. That's it. No more ideas...

... although, I do have that Allison V12 from the parts pack.

Edited by Alyn