Model Cars Magazine Forum

Capri RS Turbo

whale392

Wow......I think I wrote that number down in 2002-3 sometime (god knows who it belongs to now!)!

Thanks for the compliments; it is the Revell Turbo Capri kit I started with and scratchbuilt the intake, exhaust, turbo, wastegate, distributor, block vent, all sorts of stuff. I don't consider myself good by any stretch of the imagination, and I really am appreciative of the replies so far.

Eric, you are correct....I am 86GT2go on FBF and FEP.

Edited by whale392

Eric, you are correct....I am 86GT2go on FBF and FEP.

The interwebz is a small world, eh?

I've been looking for a Capri kit, but haven't found a complete affordable one yet. I've also started getting ahold of a handfull of early Fox kits, and am starting a few more builds.

I like the looks of that motor. There is one thing on the body of these I wish they would change. That is the wheel wells on it. The real ones do not have fender flairs on them. See the picture of the real one posted in this thread. I found that it is easy to correct them. I just file down the flair and add some thin strips of evergreen plastic a round the lip. I have been slowly building a model of my 79. Looking forward to more on this build.

Hmmm Thanks for pointing that out. You just made some more work for me when I actually get a Capri kit to do... lol I have the McLaren Mustang, which looks like the same body with a different nose on it, and its flares are ALL wrong. I haven't decided if I'm going to build it as-is, or if I feel like tackling the bodywork.

I like the looks of that motor. There is one thing on the body of these I wish they would change. That is the wheel wells on it. The real ones do not have fender flairs on them. See the picture of the real one posted in this thread. I found that it is easy to correct them. I just file down the flair and add some thin strips of evergreen plastic a round the lip. I have been slowly building a model of my 79. Looking forward to more on this build.

I've noticed that too- If I recall, this kit was originally based on a Maclaren Mustang, and they just kind of bumblefooted it into a Capri. I do like the flares, even though they aren't stock, but sounds like making the kit more accurate isn't to difficult! :rolleyes:

Yes, unfortunately this kit is a mix of Mustang and Capri right from the box. The bulges on the fenders/quarters and the taillights are Capri, and the wheelwell lips are Mustang. To properly model a Capri, the wheel lips would have to be sanded down beyond flush (so that there is s slight recess around the wheel well opening). Considering I was thinking of doing this very 'morphing' to one of my real Mustangs (I got Capri quarters from an 81 that had been severely hit and had a tree growing through it and front fenders from a friends yard sale), so I left them just to see how it would look. I have some more progress done on this one and will post up pics when the camera, Photobucket, and my computer are all playing nice together; along with some of my other build projects I have going. They will give you all something to laugh at.

Edited by whale392

I have a different way to fix the fenders...

(Read carefully before you begin!)

Place a piece of masking tape over the fender, then take a ball point pen, and trace the outline of the Mustang flare. Using the back of an x-acto knife, scribe through the outline, leaving 3 mm's unscribed from both edges, this will hold the mustang flare in place. (You do want this!) Once you have completely scribed through the fenders,(leaving 3mm's on the edges unscribed) push the flare in, leaving the outer edge raised just above the original fender. Glue in place, and fill. Sand, or grind the remaining flare, from the inside of the body, and you are done. (It is more difficult on the front if you are leaving the engine compartment in place, but still possible.) Using this method will prevent you from having misshapen or out of round wheel openings, but may take more time.

That's how I did my blue one, anyway, but I used too much filler, and lost some definition...:HotRod Mustang Street Machine

I hope this helps...

I have a different way to fix the fenders...

(Read carefully before you begin!)

Place a piece of masking tape over the fender, then take a ball point pen, and trace the outline of the Mustang flare. Using the back of an x-acto knife, scribe through the outline, leaving 3 mm's unscribed from both edges, this will hold the mustang flare in place. (You do want this!) Once you have completely scribed through the fenders,(leaving 3mm's on the edges unscribed) push the flare in, leaving the outer edge raised just above the original fender. Glue in place, and fill. Sand, or grind the remaining flare, from the inside of the body, and you are done. (It is more difficult on the front if you are leaving the engine compartment in place, but still possible.) Using this method will prevent you from having misshapen or out of round wheel openings, but may take more time.

That's how I did my blue one, anyway, but I used too much filler, and lost some definition...:HotRod Mustang Street Machine

I hope this helps...

I will try your way next time and see how it goes.I see what you mean about loosing a little definition with the filler on yours. It still looks great though. Nice to see how others solve the same problem.

Edited by mustanglover1951