Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970-72 Chevy Cheyenne Dual Cab Crew Cab

Tumbler75

Ok, I have a bit of small news. It's still in the works, but here's where I am right now. I HATE the grill on this truck. It jus' nags at me due to the lack of detail it has and the "Chrome Eyeballs." So I did a bit of mods to it and the "Eggcrate Section" is still under construction. Sorry this is going so slow but with the moving coming up around the corner everything is kind of a back burner ordeal. Enjoy this li'l tidbit.

DSCF4388.jpg

DSCF4389.jpg

DSCF4390.jpg

DSCF4392.jpg

More to come soon as possible. B)

I take it you have to use that grille. I have the billet one from a '72 kit I'm not using that I could send you. It's all chrome with two headlights in the middle.

Thanx Dan but I have to use the stock grill. I have 2 of those "Billet" Custom Grills in my parts box now. I'm not too impressed with them either as they hold the "traditional" AMT quality of "Lack of Detail." Thanx for the offer tho. ;)

Hey, no worries. I wanted to ask you, though: what did you use to cut the factory grille?

I used a small drill bit in the "notches" at the top and bottom by the headlight trim rings and very gently with the back of a brand new Xacto knife blade close to the edges score it till I cut through it. I left everything unaltered to give the grill trim surroundings strength to avoid breakage. I might file them at a small angle to hide them once the "Eggcrate" is back in place. HTH :lol:

I know Jairus. Well back to the modelling desk to mate the cabs together.

Edited by Tumbler75

Something else you might want to look at is cutting the grill surround away from the front bumper. It might help with alignment.

Also, what did you use for the headlights?

Edited by Nate

Something else you might want to look at is cutting the grill surround away from the front bumper. It might help with alignment.

Also, what did you use for the headlights?

The headlights are from my 1950/60's parts box. I seperate them out so I can find things easily. I believe they came from a 57 Ford but don't quote me. B)

can you say Bull By The Horns!!!

i'd say you jumped in with both feet!!

looking great so far, how's the roof blend going??

and remember, it plastic!! if ya bugger something, easy fix...relax....breathe....build!! lol

can you say Bull By The Horns!!!

i'd say you jumped in with both feet!!

looking great so far, how's the roof blend going??

and remember, it plastic!! if ya bugger something, easy fix...TENAX......relax....breathe....build!! lol

Ok, this "eggcrate section of grill is really starting to get under my skin and other things around the house aren't helping. B) I've tried to make 6 jigs to make the grill and NOT one has come out well due to UNFORSEEN things like a Phone (Telemarketers), The other half (callin' every 2 minutes, "YOU OK?"), and the ignant weather (power went out after a nice crack of lightning)! I might pull out the second grill and jus' drill out the "chrome Eyeballs," transfer my headlight buckets, and call it good! I'm gonna see what happens with this last jig before I do anything drastic. OH! I do have the two cab halves JOINED permanently! YAY!! Now gotta find my thicker styrene to make a filler panel between the two roofs. B)

Edited by Tumbler75

When I was building back in the early 90's I only had one hour a day to work on models. I also had an hour commute to work and then back again in which to think about what steps I was going to do during that "happy time". No wasted efforts at the bench in those days!

Of course some Saturday mornings were free... but then we were building an addition on the house too so... between kids, the house work and family events model time was very precious.

Jason, I would love to see pictures when you get the chance and never mind the interruptions. That is just life!

Ok after have a royal fight tryin' to make the "eggcrate" section of the grill I decided to pull out the other grill, drill out the "chrome eyeballs" do a bit of swapping things around, and do some Indian Tattoo Ink treatment on it. The cabs are permenantly joined together and I gotta decide if I'm gonna attempt fate and go to the next level or leave it alone. Anyways! The bowtie isn't painted blue in the centre as I'm not pullin' my model paints out from the bottom of the pile of boxes in the spare room. Enjoy the pics! B)

Joined Cabs:

DSCF4395.jpg

clear lenses with reflector caps in the back:

DSCF4397.jpg

DSCF4398.jpg

DSCF4399.jpg

Well I'm makin' some headway. I got the cabs joined via a piece of styrene between the two sections then I "plasti-puttied" it with some homemade Plastic Putty I made. Once dry enogh I sanded it down and then took spot putty and very thinly layed the roof and filled in any holes. I should have slowed down and took pics of this. That was a neat thing for me to try. I got the "support ribs" glued down, redid the drip rails, and now waitin' for that to dry thoroughly so I can sand them down to proper size and such before doing any touch up. Well here's pics and enough of my gabbin'. Hope y'all are enjoyin' this ride as much as I am.

DSCF4413.jpg

DSCF4412.jpg

DSCF4411.jpg

DSCF4410.jpg

Enjoy! :lol:

Edited by Tumbler75

First off I have to apologize for being so long between updates on this project. Struck a deal on the house we want, closing was pushed off till possibly this Friday, possibly Saturday. Once that goes through the moving will begin around May 21st. So this project is sorta a mind releaser between packing up the house and dealing with the repairs needed on the new house. SO, with that said let's get on to the update shall we?

Well the Support "ribs" bars are sanded/filed down to a more believable size and then puttied to seal any gaps and cracks and blend it to the roof. I was going to open both sides, but you know how that goes. Get frustrated with one side and say "Nope not gonna happen twice!" So if things go right I'll open up the passengerside to show off the detail on the inside. Driver side is done and now the frame can "Lock" into the cab to hold it in place better. Having to scratch the interior tub is the reason for wanting the doors to open. Workin' on hinging the doors now. Enough of my blabbin'! ON TO THE PICS!! Comments and suggestions always welcome!

DSCF4423.jpg

DSCF4421.jpg

DSCF4422.jpg

DSCF4424.jpg

DSCF4425.jpg

Hate the molded in frame/suspension AMT likes to do, PLUS I needed more suspension travel.

DSCF4426.jpg

Enjoy till next time! ;)

Why not try the Revell '64-'65 Chevy truck chassis. That is what I was doing with a '72 I was working on. Need to get back to it though, haven't finished it yet. This would save time in trying to detail the AMT ###### chassis. It actually fit pretty good, I was surprised.

Why not try the Revell '64-'65 Chevy truck chassis. That is what I was doing with a '72 I was working on. Need to get back to it though, haven't finished it yet. This would save time in trying to detail the AMT ###### chassis. It actually fit pretty good, I was surprised.

Thanx for the advice but I tried the 64/65 Chassis and I would have gone through more headaches tryin' to alter the wheelbase and suspension to get it to sit as low as I want. Plus the frame on "this" truck I'm working on is slightly shorter than a LWB Reg Cab Cheyenne. SO, I figure who's gonna see the bottom anyways. Oh don't get me wrong I'm gonna fix it for strength but not go "Super Overboard" with it.

Ok, Here's a tiny Update! This is what I did last night jus' tinkering with some scrap wire and sprue. I got the rear door hinged but it doesn't open the full width due to the front door and "B" Pillar. It's jus' enough to show the interior like I want. Enough said. Here's Pics!

DSCF4432.jpg

DSCF4431.jpg

DSCF4433.jpg

DSCF4434.jpg

Till next time. Enjoy! :P