Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fox Chassis (Ford) community build anyone?

whale392

Got a new project thought i'd share. It's the 1983 mustang gt made by MPC, produced also in 1983. Found this online. Wanted to make a weekend warrior drag car, so it goes under the knife. Also in the original box.

83mustangmodel071-vi.jpg

Gonna be using the Revell 1970 Torino Cobra as a running gear donor, using the 429 cobra jet engine and the 9" rear axle.

83mustangmodel072-vi.jpg

Then picked up a bunch of resin hot rod/ drag parts from MAD that will be going into this as well, motorsport valve covers, c6 auto transmission, b&m shifter, msd goodies, wheels and rear drag radials. Anyway, here is what i have so far. I'm using the Saleen Speedster sn95 chassis and interior floor and inner front fenders cut to fit the body. Have the rear inner fenders mini tubbed to get the drag radials in. I have built a tubular style front k member to alow as mush room as poosible for the 429. Also I'm thinking of doing a large single turbo setup.

83mustangmodel082-vi.jpg

83mustangmodel074-vi.jpg

83mustangmodel076-vi.jpg

83mustangmodel075-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small update on the 83 gt, have the 429 all mounted in with motor mounts, cut off and built inner fenders fron the strut towers forward, to eliminate the battery and all washer bottles, have the front k member all done, have added in pass through floor subframe connectors, resized the rear section of the driveline tunnel to clear the new rear end, I have the 9" narrowed and all new tubular control arms made, added an aeromotive style sump to the gas tank, I have header flanges cut out and in place on the heads, and made a race style 7 quart oil pan. Next is actually making the headers for the single turbo, and all piping, which is gonna be fun, as you can see in the engine bay shot, how much room there isn't, and thats with the engine up as far as it can go. Thanks

83mustanggt001-vi.jpg

83mustanggt002-vi.jpg

83mustanggt003-vi.jpg

83mustanggt004-vi.jpg

83mustanggt005-vi.jpg

83mustanggt006-vi.jpg

Got a new project thought i'd share. It's the 1983 mustang gt made by MPC, produced also in 1983. Found this online. Wanted to make a weekend warrior drag car, so it goes under the knife. Also in the original box.

83mustangmodel071-vi.jpg

Gonna be using the Revell 1970 Torino Cobra as a running gear donor, using the 429 cobra jet engine and the 9" rear axle.

83mustangmodel072-vi.jpg

I actually owned a 1:1 of the MPC 83 Gt and it was the same color. Loved that car. I even had that kit back when I had the car. No idea what happened to it though. Lost in a move or my ex-wife sold it. Who knows.

I really like the Torino.

My 429 now has a way for the air to come in, and to escape. In other words, got a set of headers made out of rosin core .062 solder, the crossover pipe and the up pipe for the single turbo. All just barely glued in place for mockup and to get a look. Also, I built an EFI intake manifold modeled after the Nelson Racing Engines Alien intake manifold. I used this pic for reference.

rch_7511-vi.jpg

But here's update pics on the headers, turbo setup, and the intake so far.

83mustang009-vi.jpg

83mustang013-vi.jpg

83mustang015-vi.jpg

83mustang016-vi.jpg

83mustang018-vi.jpg

83mustang019-vi.jpg

Ryan, Looking really good so far, keep it coming!

Little update for '79 Outlaw Mustang restore... I built another version for those A-pillars, they are original parts from this kit, and with some styrene I managed to get them fitted. Now building new front "spoiler" and then some bondo... Needs to build Cowl Induction scoop for the hood...

P1200230.jpg

P1200231.jpg

P1200232.jpg

Well... It's a long story, but the guy who sold it for me, said, that he has seen it first in 1983-'85, and it was white with red and white chassis, and red and black interior. It had lots of antennas and lights (like in Rally car). Other versions of that Mustang, he rememberes are red almost Factory Stock Mustang, Red and Black Custom, blue Custom and black race car, with Targa Top. It has been also convertible and Pickup. Body has many cracks, because of little accident when it was blue Custom, and because of many times paint stripping...

So that's why I'm restoring it, just for the history. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great thread with some great builds. Very inspirational.

This thread and one on foureyedpride inspred me to start working on this again.

Joined the forum because of this CBP.

Hope I can contribute some.

This started life as a 1993 Cobra. Im trying to come close to making a replica of my 1:1 1988 Saleen Mustang.

i stared it 5 years ago. I figure as long as it looks close, thats good enough for me, otherwise, like so many models I start, I will never finish it. :)

100_2007.jpg

The wheels and tires are from the Buick GNX kit.

It has the resin Saleen wing and I modified the front and rear facia to resemble the Saleen stuff, as well as modifying the grill from the Cobra to an LX.

100_2008.jpg

100_2009.jpg

100_2010.jpg

I made the front wheels turn for photografic purposes.

pumkinpatchNED015.jpg

1988 #583

102_0327_2.jpg

pumkinpatchNED019.jpg

pumkinpatchNED013.jpg

Any Ideas on how to reproduce the windshield banner?