Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fox Chassis (Ford) community build anyone?

whale392

Cutting the hatch open seems to have been the hardest part right now. Figuring out all the structural detail and placement is going to be fun (luckily, I have 3 1:1 cars I can walk out and look at!). I have decided to make the 'Vert a quick build (thanks to the earlier mentioned cat killing some of the scratchbuilding......nice lookin cat by the way Matt!) and make the 1991GT my full-detail build.

I think getting the interior to fit correctly will be one of my biggest challanges. Also, being as my 1:1 will have smoothed/filled inner fenders/engine bay (and the kits engine bay/front framerails are so horribly inaccurate, and there is ZERO radiator core support detail), building the engine bay will be a large undertaking. I am trying to figure out how to even start this (I have an engine bay cut from another scrap body and am in the 'planning, marking, planning some more, fearing the first cut' stage right now). I have shaved the factory camber plates off, drilled the strut holes, and have a scratchbuild set of caster/camber plates sitting in the box for mock-up when the time comes.

Edited by whale392

I realized that after I hit the 'sign out' button Mike....but you are correct on the Z34 being a Lumina! :P As to the plastic water tray that goes under them; I have made an angled box, the largest side drilled from the lip to halfway down the side, and a water drain hole/hose at the bottom of the box. This way, the vents become functional without letting rainwater get all over my engine bay!

Believe me Mike, if any of my local yards would have had the GTP vents, I would have taken them over the Lumina units in a heartbeat! But free and Die-Cast beats not available and plastic. Personal opinion; I was really looking for some of the 1979-1982&1/2 Datsun 280ZX Turbo units, as their shape would be almost a dead-on match for the contour and angle of the FOX hood.

I do have a set of the 87-88 T-Bird TurboCoupe NACA ducts and all related underhood hardware/plumbing I was going to use to do a RamAir style hood for the car!

Edited by whale392

thanks to the earlier mentioned cat killing some of the scratchbuilding......nice lookin cat by the way Matt!

Thanks, Bradley, even though after all the bragging of how good she is, I woke up to find her sitting on MY DESK yesterday!! :P She got sprayed with the squirt bottle and a very stearn talking to! :) She's now banned from the model room, but thankfully I didn't have anything sitting on the desk, especially my Ford big rig I've been working on for the past 4 or 5 months. If she would have broke anything on it, she may have been looking for a new home! B) Not really, I'm not mean, but she would have been in deep trouble!!

hey Whale - (I love doing this!) the 1:1 Z34 was a Lumina, not a Beretta. Although many people have added those vents to the Beretta / corsica hood (me being one of them) they never came stock on those car. Side note - on the 1:1 Z34, those were never "vents" per say; they had a complete plastic 'tray' that diverted water away from the engine compartment. they were also die-cast metal & were attached to the lumina hood with simple twist nuts. (my Early 90's GM info amazes me me sometimes!)

although not the same size or shape, the hood vents on the Grand Prix GTP from 1990 would also work & could be found in 1:1 also.

Yeah, if I remember correctly, the top level Berettas were the GTU and GTZ, right? The Beretta was one Chevy that never had a true Z car like the Lumina, Camaro, and the Z24 Cavalier.

Using the 19" step sleeves and low-pro tires from Pegasus (thanks ScaleDreams!) and some rims from a 1/32nd scale Die-Cast, I am fairly close to having a similar set of wheels in scale as to what I have sitting in my bedroom waiting to go on the real car. I had to shave the Die-Casts down (both diameter and thickness), remove the center spinner (even though the real ones came with spinners, I am using regular Ford SVT centers instead), and have the lug nut holes drilled. Chrome finish has been stripped and awaiting paint. I will be shooting the centers in Sand-Cast Aluminum with the recesses in Dark Gray and polishing the wheel lip to a mirror shine. Lug nuts will be made from .030" Plastruct hex and painted Spaz-Stix Chrome. Looks like I have a slight bit of work to do once the planes leave the hanger tonight.

Hello all, I'm finally going to get going on this. I chose the Revell Whistler Mustang. A nice bunch of RED plastic, and I mean RED! I'm not sure how much after-market I'm going to use, but at least seat belts, wiring plumbing and a few odds and ends. Regardless, I'm not going to go crazy with it.

ebay008.jpg

Cheers,

Greg

Got you updated Jeff. I just added a bunch of reference pics to the 1:1 reference section this morning. More coming when I get back from Florida (I will be in St.Cloud/Kissimmee/Orlando area from june 24th through July 5th).

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, slow going so far. I've been spending quite a bit of time on just trying to clean up the parts. The hideous red plastic has moderate amount of flash, but the mold lines are frequent and prominent! I am still kind of in the planning stages too, trying to figure out the level of modification I am going to. I should have some photographable progress in the next few days (hopefully). I hope everybody has a safe and festive Independence Day weekend.

Greg

I'm planning on building the same red plastic monster, Greg!! I'm thinking box stock for mine. Haven't done more than a little bit of flash clean-up, on this and the other red plastic FOX (I'm a sucker!) I plan to build, the SVO.

I just finished up two builds, so I'm starting to make room for these on the bench.

You are a glutton for punishment Tony! I love the old Revell and Monogram cars, but hate the colored plastic. The SVO is a pretty cool car. When they re-release that kit later this year (supposedly), I am going to pick one up. It'll be more expensive, of course, but it won't be red. I look forward to seeing both of your builds. It looks like this Community Build is going to have a lot interesting stuff.

Cheers,

Greg

I just picked up another Red SVO from Ebay a few days ago. It is going into my stash for another day. I am in Florida, and won't be home for a few more days, so nothing has gotton done on either the 83 GLX vert or the 91 GT.

I can't remember if it was MM&FF or 5.0 mag, but one of them had a chilli pepper red SVO as a project car. It was a short lived series, but cool, none the less. Depite my issues with red plastic, I'd probably paint it red anyways. It was a great looking car. The S197 wheel offset works well with the Fox, so they put the take-off bullits, and the optional '06 wheel (the one that comes in the Revell '06 kit) on it. They looked real good. The option wheel looks better on the SVO than on the S197 it came off of.

That gave me some inspiration for building one. I think when I get to it I'll build it like I would build that project car. Upgraded turbo and intercooler, coil overs, tubular rear control arms, full length sub frame connectors, maximum motorsports type stuff, and etc etc. Darn, there I go daydreaming.

Cheers,

Greg

Sounds like a great project, Greg. I like the Maximum stuff (have tubular LCAs, caster/camber plates, and subframe connectors on my 1:1) and have wanted to do some in scale on something. I'd like to build a Comp Prep SVO, although I'm not sure exactly how the exhaust is set up, since they had dual exhaust in the rear. I sure wish the SVO kit's rear wing was correct. That'll have to be fixed when I do mine...

I am working on the very same issue Eric........the incorrect wing. Luckily, I have 3 (one even on a car) of the real wings to take measurements from. Remember, 86 will be different from 84-85 as it has the CHMSL.