Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where do you find kits at? Stores, etc?

Just curious where your finding kits at? Other than local hobby shops, flea markets and yardsales? Any stores have inventory? Ive not seen anything in a while. Maybe with Christmas coming up might be time to go looking? How about your area of the world? Drew C. from S.C.

I shop on-line exclusively. Either from on-line retailers or eBay. The nearest brick and mortar hobby shop is 25 miles away and their selection of kits is basic at best. We do have a Hobby Lobby here in town but it's kit selection is laughable. So it's the internet for me 100% of the time.

I have tried Michaels and was told they are getting rid of the models.

Hobby Town closed down, retirement.

The three Hobby Shops here in Cleveland cater more to the Train and RC guys.

Hobby Lobby does not have that great of a selection on my opinion.

I will be purchasing more and more of my Models from jimnohio as he is local for me.

I'm lucky in that there are 2 really good hobby shops fairly close to me. For now I'm just building from my collection, since I'm just re-entering the hobby. I presume most of my buying for actual kits will be at hobby shops or online. I've gotten a few kits online recently.

Most of the recent models were either from members of sites like this or bought on line from like Fred's Model World, Hobbylinc, etc. or off ebay. But I try and stay away from ebay as much as possible!

I will occasionally buy from Michaels or Hobby Lobby but only if I have a 40% off coupon!B)

I do some eBaying during the year, but I primarily buy my kits either through the LHS or if there are several I want to get I wait till it's time for a model show/swap meet to roll around. I find I can buy in "bulk" and work better deals with vendors in person in that environment.

Why not go to a model event, such as a contest? There is always vendors who are more than happy to sell kits, often at good deals. The Southern Nats are in Smyrna, Ga. on 11/13, and it looks to be a less than a four hour drive for you from what I can see on Google Maps. While you're there, enter a model or ten, and support our hobby!

If you want to go real long distance, there is an event in Norfolk, Va on 10/23 by the Tidewater club. All this info is from the "coming events' in the model mags section.... that's the best way to find out what's happining out there.

I also concur that shopping on-line works as well. Good luck!

Well I bought most of mine years ago and I buy from friends and there collections.some from Freds model world also a little from Ebay.mostly its people I know that offer me kits to buy.Hobby lobby is a joke along with Micheals.Thanks,Chris

My Main way of buying goes as this order: As brought up before is the big shows. Here in Az we have the Desert Scale Classic model show and that local has several model kit swapmeets as well. 2nd is my local club. A lot of guys bring a lot of kits and most are less than $10. Next is a couple of local hobby shops or general collectible stores. Anyone in AZ better get to gordon's before he closes at the end of the year. Dirt cheap kits. Last is Ebay if I do not find what I want through the other channels. Toy shows have kits too sometimes. Oh and I have bought kits off of Craigslist.

Good stuff! Ive only been to one model show and it was to help sell some kits for a friend of a friend who passed away. Didnt have much time to look around. Might try the Atlanta show ive heard about. Anyone else. Do stores like Knart, Wallmart,etc. sell anything?

I patron a plethora of venues which include ebay, 5 or 6 local hobby shops,Micheals,

and of course online...

(modelexpress,jiminohio,southern motorsports,hobbytown usa,m&m model cars,gasoline alley,)

Deans and Modelroundup are on the top of my list for future dealings ;)

Plus any show I can get to which so far has been the NNL East.

My main way is flea markets and local auctions, (I have been to a couple of auctions but never saw any models)i just love when they bring out a box full of dusty old models, and then it would be ebay and Michaels. (Ebay had been a good source for me selling collectibles, but just recently started to actuall buy or win models for mtself)

I patron a plethora of venues which include ebay, 5 or 6 local hobby shops,Micheals,

and of course online...

(modelexpress,jiminohio,southern motorsports,hobbytown usa,m&m model cars,gasoline alley,) ( gotta checkout some online places myself)

Deans and Modelroundup are on the top of my list for future dealings B)

Plus any show I can get to which so far has been the NNL East.