Model Cars Magazine Forum

'67 Mercury Cyclone-Almost Home!

Fisher61

Last year, I built 2 Pontiacs and a few Dodges and Chevys. Now it's Ford Motor Company's turn! This Comet was started and painted with Model Master Italian Red lacquer, and for whatever reason it didn't see eye to eye with the Duplicolor primer, made me mad so back in it's box it went. I was going through my stuff the other night trying to decide what to do next, pulled this back out and stripped the paint with 91% isopropyl alcohol. It really cleaned up nice! Now this body has one major flaw, there is supposed to be a smaller crease line continuing from the larger crease on the rear quarter across the door and front fender. How did AMT miss this? It was there on their annuals from 1966 and '67! How am I going to fix this? Here's what I did. I masked the area where it was supposed to be and built it up with primer, smoothed away the rough edges and the primed the body. What a difference this made ! Take a look and see what you think.

57Chevy001.jpg

57Chevy006-2.jpg

I'm thinking about using these Torque Thrust wheels, I never really liked a hubcap that looked like a chrome reversed wheel.

57Chevy007.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Edited by plumber

LOVE the Cyclones. Saw a BAAAADDDD Black 1:1 66 on ebay a few weeks back, I wanted it! My cousin has a 70 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler 429 CJ, 4 spd. Does anyone make a kit of this model? It is a pretty rare animal in the 1:1 world. I will be watching your build. What color are you thinking?

Rudy

LOVE the Cyclones. Saw a BAAAADDDD Black 1:1 66 on ebay a few weeks back, I wanted it! My cousin has a 70 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler 429 CJ, 4 spd. Does anyone make a kit of this model? It is a pretty rare animal in the 1:1 world. I will be watching your build. What color are you thinking?

Rudy

Thanks for the interest in this build Rudy. I haven't decided on a color as of yet, I will have to soon though before it gets to cold in the garage to paint! MPC originally kitted the '70 Cyclone, then changed the tool to a nascar. I wish Revell would kit a new one based on their '70 Torino tooling. And yes, these Mercury's are really scarce in the 1:1 world, maybe they didn't sell well back in the day.

• 2 weeks later...

This baby is looking sweet! Any problems with this kit so far? I've got one I want to get built sometime soon, like the other 300 or so kits in my stash! :lol:

Thanks for the comments! So far,from what I've finished or test fitted, it's been pretty good! Test fit the engine compartment before you glue together, everything has to be square with the frame rails. I started by gluing the inner fenders to the firewall making sure that stayed square, when that was dried the I attached it to the chassis. Test fit the front suspension components before gluing in place, it's kind of fiddly.

I think it looks great so far !!!!!! - Where did the wheels come from - Need a set of those for a Cyclone I'm working on - Keep us posted with progress - Thanks for the pic's - Joe

Thanks Joe! The wheels were sourced from the AMT '62 Impala convertible kit, same wheels are also in the AMT '62 Belair kit.

Very nice build! I like the Comets from 66-67. Brings back memories, good and bad. Back in 1967 (I was 17 yrs. old) I built a model of a 67 comet and made it an AWB funny car. Moved the wheel wells forward, scratch built an interior and a tubular chassis, wired the engine, painted it metallic purple. I entered it in a local fair with 4 or 5 other models. I won first place, but when I went to bring the models home, the Comet was gone! All the hobby exhibits were locked up behind chicken wire, so whoever stole it must have been another modeler, who picked it up with his own models. I never saw it again.

Sam