Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser Wagon

am73grand

Hi everyone. I've shown this on another board and someone mentioned I should show it off here.

This is a 1/25 scale 1972 Vista Cruiser wagon. I am making it using the new Revell 72 Olds. I have used panels and parts from quite a few different kits so far. I am thinking of asking one of the better resin casters if he would be interested in pulling some molds off it.

Here is where I am at so far. I've got the interior roughed in and I'm starting on the glass sections for the roof.

post-4168-068123200 1288992526_thumb.jpg

post-4168-062763200 1288992566_thumb.jpg

post-4168-026193700 1288992480_thumb.jpg

If you would like to follow the whole build you can follow this link:

http://public.fotki.com/am73grand/oldsmobiles/1972-vista-cruiser/

Thanks!!!

"Hello Wisconsin!"

I was just watching "That 70's Show" and would love to have a resin copy of the Vista Cruiser!

Looks like you have some thought in this, not to mention a lot of time. I would be surprised if no one wanted to cast this for you and us.

Whether it is kitbashing or scratchbuilding, what you are doing is great!

Keep us updated on the progress.

Guest madazzskilzkustumz

Chevelle wagon so totally different from Vistacruiser that jest putting cutlass front on it won't work. B) Car way so to short. :lol: My uncles was super duper long. Thanks for recognizing kit bash as real term! Double thanks JIMMY! ;)

But I really like this project keep going! Thanks Jimmy! :D

Nice project! I have always wanted to make one either from a resin body, or kit bashing an Olds front end with maybe a Chevelle wagon. I'm watching for sure!

Great looking Wagon.

I vote for the Vista Wagon, I love those lil windows on the roof.

Very cool.

Nice Scratchbuilding/Kit Bashing.

I assume your also using part of a Johan Cutlass, AMT El Camino, and the AMT Chevelle Wagon?

Big Wagons need lots of Donors.

Great work soo far.

Jimmy,

Does your uncle still have his wagon? If so, maybe you could supply some dimensions so the car is accurate? You mentioned that your uncle's car was "super duper long", any idea what the length and wheelbase are supposed to be?

It would be a shame to not share that information and then be critical of someone's attempt to build a replica. B)

Guest madazzskilzkustumz

We don't know where uncle is or where the Cruiser is. B) I'll ask my dad if he has any pictures. B) It took a long time too wash that car I tell you what! ;) Thanks JIMMY! :D

Jimmy,

Does your uncle still have his wagon? If so, maybe you could supply some dimensions so the car is accurate? You mentioned that your uncle's car was "super duper long", any idea what the length and wheelbase are supposed to be?

It would be a shame to not share that information and then be critical of someone's attempt to build a replica. ;)

Chevelle wagon so totally different from Vistacruiser that jest putting cutlass front on it won't work. B) Car way so to short. B) My uncles was super duper long. Thanks for recognizing kit bash as real term! Double thanks JIMMY! :D

But I really like this project keep going! Thanks Jimmy! ;)

'68-72 Vista Cruiser had a 120 inch wheelbase, while the '72 Cutlass 2dr was 112. The regular Cutlass wagon was 116. Also, the '66 Chevelle wagon greenhouse ('64-67 A-body) is very different in shape and detail from the '68-72..the '64-67 wagon greenhouse is squarer, the '68-72 are more rounded.

Edited by Rob Hall

Guest madazzskilzkustumz

Thanks Rob! Some people hear jest don't want too believe Jimmy knows what he says. B) Thanks JIMMY! B)

'68-72 Vista Cruiser had a 120 inch wheelbase, while the '72 Cutlass 2dr was 112. The regular Cutlass wagon was 116. Also, the '66 Chevelle wagon greenhouse ('64-67 A-body) is very different in shape from the '68-72..

Charlie! Thanks for the brochure sheet! That should be a huge help. Thank you everyone else for the positive comments.

For those worried about accuracy, this is being built by scaling photos of the real car. I'm a draftsman by trade so it was pretty easy to extrapolate the correct dims.

The Vista is coming along and I have the raised roof started. The cargo area is around 85% done and then I will concentrate on the door panels. I am also leaving off the trim that would outline the wood. I hate wood on wagons. This one will not have it.

Here it is after starting on the raised roof section:

post-4168-032529200 1289076454_thumb.jpg

Looks like I'll have to resize the pics next time I add some.

Thanks again for looking.

Please do get this cast.

If getting the raised roof and long wheelbase proves too difficult...how about a standard Cutlass Cruiser? Now talk about different!

Here are some dimensions and other information that might help you.

1972 Olds brochure

Charlie Larkin

I will be following this. I sold my ’68 Vista Cruiser about a year ago, (fortunately to a friend who I am seeing today). It was bought new by my Dad. Great car, but with all that glass it looked a bear to replicate correctly in model form. Best of luck and keep up the very nice work.