Model Cars Magazine Forum

Spillage and how to avoid it

Jantrix

Okay I've been modeling off and on since the age of ten. I'm 42 now. And STILL spilling stuff. As the lingering smell of CA accelerator and my wifes WTF look can attest to. Has anyone come up anything to help combat this? I mean when the plastic is flying, there is CA glue, accelerator, solvent cement and various paints lying about. What have you done to keep them in a unspillable state? I've never really thought about it till now, but I'm sure someone has come up with something.

Bill Coulter showed us a neat trick of his in one of his recent magazine features (can't remember offhand which one)... but anyway, what he does is cut out little cardboard "collars" for the various bottles of paint, liquid cement, etc.... a square piece, with a hole the size of the bottle in the middle, sort of like a big cardboard washer. He slips the collar onto the bottle near the base, and the collar makes the bottle much less prone to being tipped over.

I tape several plastic pill bottles together to hold Q-Tips, tooth picks and eye droppers, etc. I use a wide base can to hold CA clue and accelerator along with the small applicators. In my case its a Meguairs clay bar can. A Planters peanut can is about the same size. I tape my various decal solvent bottles together. The underlying theme to create a wide base.

Bill Coulter showed us a neat trick of his in one of his recent magazine features (can't remember offhand which one)... but anyway, what he does is cut out little cardboard "collars" for the various bottles of paint, liquid cement, etc.... a square piece, with a hole the size of the bottle in the middle, sort of like a big cardboard washer. He slips the collar onto the bottle near the base, and the collar makes the bottle much less prone to being tipped over.

I've seen the same, but a desk organizer sort of thing with areas for holding tools and such as well as the collars for holding paint and glue bottles made from scrap PVC plumbing pipe of various sizes.

MrsG insists on buying cinnamon rolls, the kind that come with icing. The icing is contained in a white vinyl plastic cup which is impervious to everything. These make great mixing bowls.

These plastic cups are covered by an aluminum disk 2" or so in diameter. I use bluetack and place glue bottles, accelerator bottles, paint etc etc etc. onto them, thereby increasing the size of the base.

G

I took a 1 inch thick piece of Styrofoam and cut holes to match the shapes of the bottles.

When I open a bottle of paint, blue or whatever into the holder it goes until I'm done.

Cheap, easy answer to spilled paints and glues.

I took a 1 inch thick piece of Styrofoam and cut holes to match the shapes of the bottles.

When I open a bottle of paint, blue or whatever into the holder it goes until I'm done.

Cheap, easy answer to spilled paints and glues.

My lhs sells these little balls with weights in the bottom, and a hole in the top to put a bottle of glue in. I think they are more geared for plane builders but work slick for that style bottle. I think they are made by Gizmos And Gadgets Enterprises, but I want to say great planes sells them also. could be wrong. just do a search for roc it up glue holder.

MrsG insists on buying cinnamon rolls, the kind that come with icing.

G

Would you two need a roommate????? I love cinnamon rolls with icing. My wife doesn't think that I need them.

Oh- And Bart- What is this word, Org....., Organi.... I can't say it. Not even sure what it means.

I just wait for everything to dry and about once a month I take a razor blade and scrape the top of the desk. (Think I'm kidding?????)

Later-

I take the lids from spray cans and place my paint bottle,Tenax or whatever inside the inside ring. Haven't spilled anything since. ;)

Another reason I use Tenax... This is in a Tamiya cap

Pro-Weld (just as good) has a 2 oz bottle not 1oz so I have not found a cap yet for it. :P

IMG_0569-1.jpg

Although after reading Aarons post below I'm gonna use the PVC in the spray cap B):D;)

Edited by Stasch

Would you two need a roommate????? I love cinnamon rolls with icing. My wife doesn't think that I need them.

Oh- And Bart- What is this word, Org....., Organi.... I can't say it. Not even sure what it means.

I just wait for everything to dry and about once a month I take a razor blade and scrape the top of the desk. (Think I'm kidding?????)

Later-

It's a BANNER day in my house!! My wife is making cinnamon rolls......with cream cheese frosting!!!!!! YIPPPPPPIEE for me!!

Later-

stop by a local tattoo shop and ask for a few ink cups that they use. they come in different sizes, have a low profile, disposable (if need be) and they are relatively inexpensive. i went a step further and had a friend that's a machinist make me a small holder with slots that hold the cups. its also on a slight angle so that when it gets to the end of whats in it, it puddles better.

i'll try and get a picture of my holder in the next couple of days.