Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Momad

Custom Mike

Bruce, I've got tons more grille mesh to work with, so that's no issue. My only concern is how fragile the upper grille surround will be if I cut the opening out. That is my biggest worry right now, I fought my butt off to get that thing made, and the last thing I want is to break it!

The amount I'd have on the backside is as thick as the quarter round, so not much, but it could be done. I'm doing that on the lower grille surround, but that one would be easier to remake if I screwed it up due to it being almost four times the size of this one! The tiny size of this thing made it a real bear to put together as cleanly as I did!

Edited by Custom Mike

Hey Mike I jus been catching up with progress, looking great ! I think you build cars the same as me, have an idea then go with the flow ...... ;) ...... Then change things, throw bits away and redo them, all good fun eh :D

Can I make a suggestion ? I like the grill design now, but how about fitting the surrounds then smoothing them in ? Then jus add the mesh ? Your repainting the car anyway...... :huh:

Whatever you do keep it up im following along......... Lowlife ! !

Martin, I've thought about molding the surrounds in a few times, but I wanted the surround as a separate chromed part to bring some modern Chevrolet cues into it. The newer Malibu was the one I saw it on first, and it just looked like a good fit. If I had thought it out, I would have never done it, it's a real pain to pull off! And most of the time I do come up with a basic concept, then add different things as I go, I've never been one to stick with an original idea for long!

I got some goodies in the mail today from Thomas over at Speedway Decals, he made my Momad scripts up for me, and they're beautiful! He did some in bright silver ans some in chrome, so I can pick the ones that fit the best!

gI4AJTmjUEZ3UVYH2NyXkIzmOBNTnq-vi.jpg

dx5cIjua4eqh_KZ88tHBLVzo8Ep-vi.jpg

DzXwyabVbClCZ37TFu5y9BA0rZ-vi.jpg

TF0ITUYY-vi.jpg

Hey Mike I jus been catching up with progress, looking great ! I think you build cars the same as me, have an idea then go with the flow ...... ;) ...... Then change things, throw bits away and redo them, all good fun eh :D

Can I make a suggestion ? I like the grill design now, but how about fitting the surrounds then smoothing them in ? Then jus add the mesh ? Your repainting the car anyway...... :huh:

Whatever you do keep it up im following along......... Lowlife ! !

Martin, I took your suggestion and ran with it. After cracking the upper and lower surrounds trying to clean them up, I simply glued them in place and molded them into the front fascia and hood. Not the look I originally wanted, but I'll live with it, because I just don't have the time to make new ones.

Glued in place and waiting for some putty...

by_1cihIbd5HpT4ITI-vi.jpg

Glued in place and putty applied....

XrMwgm1ruJc6jiPVw3q1GXc8_NKDxV-vi.jpg

A bit of sanding....

xZ72UpR1_sHlJITqWfgFTOemNhccH5-vi.jpg

And a quick mock-up with the lower grille in place...

I2174d7IG5lKbwNiAEf-vi.jpg

Cleaned up and first coat of primer applied...

B8N1rAZpj_eaVYdnIq8r0NUYV5bbb7-vi.jpg

And the last update for tonight. This part has bugged me for a while, so I did something about it. The coil pack covers (Mounts/whatever they call 'em these days) had the "HEMI 6.1L" lettering molded in, but the decals were bigger than the letters, which really looked crappy to me. So I popped 'em off the engine, sanded 'em smooth, stripped and repainted 'em, and applied two of the Momad decals to 'em! These pics were taken when the Micro-Sol was still doing it's magic, so ignore the looks, they look much better now!

The original look with the too-big kit decals over the lettering...blech!

Momad267-vi.jpg

And the new look with the Speedway Decals in place, much better!

Q_Wwcrn_ztlwBdIXGA36InSRNF4au-vi.jpg

LPF7KD49vmrbJA6cHzSH0dsP1Y7z9s-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

Thanks Cliff, I hope I can finish it off by the 28th, I want to get it in the Custom Clinic Photo Contest this year!

OK, we've got the silver base coats down. I went with Dupli-Color Candy Silver, mainly because I've got a ton of it, and it looks good. I had to sand a bit on the hood due to some garbage in it, so it'll get re-sprayed tomorrow night. The plan is to lay down some color Thursday, Friday at the latest depending on work!

Momad403-vi.jpg

Momad404-vi.jpg

Momad405-vi.jpg

Momad406-vi.jpg

Momad407-vi.jpg

Momad408-vi.jpg

Rising from the ashes of restyled side windows, hood and front fascia, I present to you the Momad, back in color! This is a different nail polish, but you couldn't tell, it's almost a perfect match for the original color! I'll give her a few days to cure, lay down some clear, and get the foil, decals, and windows back in place!

Momad409-vi.jpg

Momad410-vi.jpg

Momad411-vi.jpg

Momad412-vi.jpg