Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

My gosh Chris, that tin work is a contest winner all by itself!!....Love how the fix came out on the area that cracked...Like it never even happened...

I don't envy you on those rivets tho', that would make my eyes bleed installing all those but I'm sure the final result will be worth the effort....Out of curiosity, how are you planning to secure the rivets, do you use a little CA or some other kind of adhesive??

Lee

Chris, The Tins look super!!! Glad the pooch is doing well!!!! Keeping the inflammation down will help allot. When you have them since they were puppies it's difficult to watch them age. Again all looks great!!!! jimmy "RASS"

Lee... thank you very much in the kind words. I think once the tins are painted and rivets installed it should look prettt good. I will be honest i am curious how the out come will look now...lol As far as how I am going to secure the rivets. I am thibking ibam either going to be using micro scales kryatal kleer (which is a white glue that dries comoletely clear) or some glue called gatoe glue which is an acrylic glue rhat I have used for photo etch parts. I will most likely go woth option #1 because i cam out the white glu in the hole install the rivet and then wipe any excess off with a damp paper towel or remove any glue if necessary. I dont think CA woild gice me enough time plus i would be afraid that the CA would fog the areas around the rivets jist a tad.

Aaron... thanks buddy. Its getting there thats for sure. Little slower than I wanted but going to be worth the extra time I have put into it.

John... thank Brother. Means alot xoming from you.

Joe... thank you. I couldnt be happier with how he fix turned out. You are right that the tin looks kike it was never broke...lol

Danno... thank you sir.

Jimmy... thank you. My dog is doing good. Just want the meds to kick in and help. But he seemed more like himself this morning but wished he didnt get this artheitis but part of life where we get older. He is my buddy and is a trooper. I truly believe the meds and the glucosimine pills will have him back to normal in no time at all. I have had him since he was 7 weeks old and he is 8-1/2 years old now.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Dave.... thank you. You arw right my boy is getting old like me...lol he is my old man now...haha Just like you i am anxious to get paint on the tins now.

Wayne... thank you so much for the kind works and swinging by to check the progress out. You are correct tgia huild book is gonna be huge and a project of its own to make...lol myvplan is to use all the pics i have posted here and create a power point presentation and saving it out as a .pdf. hopefully it turns out good...lol

Steve... thank you so much. Hoping to have it painted soon but debating if I should wait a little while with the humidity we have been having...lol

Hello fellas... just wanted to give a quick update and let you guys know that I was able to get a little bench time in last night and started back on the engine. I started scratch building valve cover gaskets and they are just about done. Got the first coat of paint on them and I need to do a tad more but so far i am happy with them. I wasn't able to get picures up last night but will post some of how I made them when I get home tonight.

I wasn't able to get picures up last night but will post some of how I made them when I get home tonight.

Really looking forward to it.

On another note: how's about attending the Moonlight Modelers meeting tomorrow night? Its in Gilbert.

Edited by gasser59

Dave... Thank you

Brad... I know how much you love seeing engines ;). I think we are taking my girlfriends daughter bowling tonight.

Gabriel.... You aren't too far from me and I will have to show up to one of the meeting sometime.

Glenn.... Thank you. I have a little bit of it done but now I need to focus more on it...lol

Danno.... you know I will have to one of these days.

OK Fellas... I had this done last night but didn't get time to download the pics and have been gone all morning. So here is the process of how I made my valve cover gaskets.....

Here is the start of the Valve cover gaskets. 1 - 3x5 card, 1 xacto knife, 1 steel ruler, & the valve covers:

DP-Army-Vega5552-1_zpsdda6b65c.jpg

I first started by tracing the edge of the valve cover with a pencil onto the 3x5 card:

DP-Army-Vega5555-1_zps607dc475.jpg

Next I cut them out with my xacto knife. as you see here I did 2 sets, I wasn't happy with the first ones so I cut a 2nd:

DP-Army-Vega5557-1_zpse572a67b.jpg

I next took my pin vise and .020" drill bit and transfer drilled the holes from the valve cover to the gaskets. You can see in this pic that I only had one drilled out:

DP-Army-Vega5563-1_zps4db19f7c.jpg

I am a little upset at myself, I guess I forgot to take pics of the next few steps before I painted the gaskets. I finished drilling the 2nd gasket out. I then colored them with a black sharpie. After the black sharpie I brushed on multiple coasts of tan paint. and then the black was added by taking a dish sponge and wetting with flat black and dabbing it out until there wasn't a whole lot of paint on it and I basically dry brushed the gasket creating the black spots to make the gasket look like cork:

DP-Army-Vega5568-1_zps82ab3703.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Chris……….I`m so glad……..that everyone is going to call you nut`s and not me anymore :D ……….you are the one that is insane now :P …………such AWESOME work little Brorher.

P.S. …….I just went to the bathrooom in my pants :wacko:

Edited by John Teresi

If I could change gears back to the dog for a moment , can I ask where he sleeps ? I worked at a Petco out here for 6 years and was trained that an egg shaped foam bed is good for his condition. Don't know if it would help in this instance but thought I would throw it out there. BTW, the model is looking fantastic !

The easiest is often times the best. The sponge worked to perfection.

And so you know, the truth of how real the engine looks set in when I thought to myself, "Is he gonna cut out the center for valve train clearance? Oh yeah, no valve train."

I think by now we all know how my mind functions. It ain't pretty, but it's mine.

Great work Chris.

Don't mention valve train next thing Chris will be making valve spring and rocker shafts . Looks awesome Chris I admire your dedication to this build ive been slack with my ivo dragster had a new addition to the family nearly three months ago so my bench time has been eaten up by my baby girl . Anyway can't wait to see more inspiring work of yours