Model Cars Magazine Forum

detailed kits?

my uncle was asking me what kits were out there that had alot of part and would need detailing and the first thing that came in my mind was the tamiya kits but i could not find how may pieces/parts came in one. and are there other kits out there that are car based?

you want detailed?

then check out the Fujimi "Enthusiasts Series" cars, particularly the Porsche 356 variants. i bet there are close to 500 parts. seriously. they are the epitome of detailed and just to make it more fun, they dont really fit together all that well so they require lots of fiddling!

10000878-vi.jpg

instructions for ultra rare Carrera quad cam engine assembly:

10000878z3-vi.jpg

heres a shot of someones excellent buildup; note the engine on the engine stand, also included in the kit.

5085638955_a9e0af66f5_b.jpg

these kits came with a variety of body styles: speedster, roadster, coupe and convertable i believe, and different trim sets. one killer kit in more than one sense!

Yeah, those Fujimi Porsches are right up there. I built one back in the late '80s, and had a blast with it. Yup, fiddly, but worth the effort. The thing that bugged me, though, was that they misspelled PORSCHE as PORSHCE on the small glove box door decal, and it was a pain in the tuckus to cut it apart to correct and apply it.

The 1/8 scale Pocher classic car kits take the prize, though. If I recall, the Mercedes Benz 500AK has about 2200 parts. Each spoked wheel (6 total) has around 135 parts each. Do a search for Pocher in the Big Boys forum, and you'll see some photos that members have posted. Harry P.'s Mercedes is beautiful.

interesting

they must really not trust thier drivers

but at least it beats the donuts they put in american cars

Well, don't forget tire and tube technology at the time. Blow outs and flats were common. We're spoiled with modern synthetic rubber compounds and radial tire technology. When I was a kid, my aunt had a '48 Buick Roadmaster convertible. The storage shed adjacent to the carport "garage" was filled with older patched tubes from it. We'd pump them up, and float on the Esopus Creek in the Catskills on them. Decades later, tubing the Esopus became a big local business. Go figure; one of the few times in my life I was a trend setter, all because of early tire technology!

In regards to the Fujimi EM series, one stands head and shoulders above the rest in terms of detail, parts count, fiddly assembly and overall challenge level. I've built one of each of the EM series kits except the Lancia Statos, so I feel confident in saying the Lamborghini Countach is on a whole different level than the rest of the series...and that's not entirely a good thing.

First, it has opening doors...which was a first and last for the series. Second, the chassis is designed to mimic the tube spaceframe Lamborghini used, and it makes assembly much more complicated, especially around the rear suspension. Getting the thing together, and having it sit square is a challenge. Those doors are very, very fragile and the windshield frame is perhaps the most delicate in any kit ever tooled up. They're about as thick as scale spark plug wires for a 1/25 car.

Here's one I assembled in the 80s when I was in High School, pre-digital photo scans no less, that proves nothing more than they can be built. I have a few more of these unbuilt on the shelf, but when I crack open the box the 400 or so parts staring back take away any desire I have to start building another.

Whew, nice Lambo! I can only imagine how challenging that was. I built the Revell AG/Monogram '55 Mercedes 300 SLR #722, which has a full space frame. It all fit together quite well, but filing and sanding the parting lines was a chore. I guess sanity and model building can't always be used in the same sentence. B)

Yeah, those Fujimi Porsches are right up there. I built one back in the late '80s, and had a blast with it. Yup, fiddly, but worth the effort. The thing that bugged me, though, was that they misspelled PORSCHE as PORSHCE on the small glove box door decal, and it was a pain in the tuckus to cut it apart to correct and apply it.

The 1/8 scale Pocher classic car kits take the prize, though. If I recall, the Mercedes Benz 500AK has about 2200 parts. Each spoked wheel (6 total) has around 135 parts each. Do a search for Pocher in the Big Boys forum, and you'll see some photos that members have posted. Harry P.'s Mercedes is beautiful.

or a 250 + part Fujimi EM 246 Dino.

In regards to the Fujimi EM series, one stands head and shoulders above the rest in terms of detail, parts count, fiddly assembly and overall challenge level. I've built one of each of the EM series kits except the Lancia Statos, so I feel confident in saying the Lamborghini Countach is on a whole different level than the rest of the series...and that's not entirely a good thing.

First, it has opening doors...which was a first and last for the series. Second, the chassis is designed to mimic the tube spaceframe Lamborghini used, and it makes assembly much more complicated, especially around the rear suspension. Getting the thing together, and having it sit square is a challenge. Those doors are very, very fragile and the windshield frame is perhaps the most delicate in any kit ever tooled up. They're about as thick as scale spark plug wires for a 1/25 car.

Here's one I assembled in the 80s when I was in High School, pre-digital photo scans no less, that proves nothing more than they can be built. I have a few more of these unbuilt on the shelf, but when I crack open the box the 400 or so parts staring back take away any desire I have to start building another.

Countach2-vi.jpg

Countach1-vi.jpg

I have an Fujimi opening door Diablo which came long after the Countach

interesting

they must really not trust thier drivers

but at least it beats the donuts they put in american cars

Nah... tires just weren't that great back then. My granfather told me back in the late '40's you'd see five or six cars by the roadside with a blown out tire every day! (Assuming, of course, you live in a relatively heavy traffic area.)

Nah... tires just weren't that great back then. My granfather told me back in the late '40's you'd see five or six cars by the roadside with a blown out tire every day! (Assuming, of course, you live in a relatively heavy traffic area.)

The only nice thing about them was you could actually take the tire off the rim and put it back on yourself.

Edited by Foxer

my uncle was asking me what kits were out there that had alot of part and would need detailing and the first thing that came in my mind was the tamiya kits but i could not find how may pieces/parts came in one. and are there other kits out there that are car based?

"a lot of parts" ? How many did you have in mind? This could vary in relation to what is kitted and what scale.

"would need detailing" ? This would depend on how far the builder wanted to go.Most kits require some additional "detailing" in this area.

"are there other kits out there that are care based?" Yes indeed. Like I said, We'll have to wait and see what everyone comes up with. I'll bet there will be a bunch.:lol:

I hear the Chrysler Turbine Car from Jo-Han is also quite good.chrysler-turbine-car-model-kit-unopened_120696418821.jpg

Ooooh, I LOVE this kit!!!!!!! VERY detailed with tons of working features! The doors, hood and trunk all open. The hood and trunk feature separate underside bracing. The steering works and the backs of the front seats even fold forward! Some issues were better than others as some had a lot of flash on the parts. It really builds into a very nice, accurate Turbine car though! Seeing this has me wanting another!!!!!!

Ooooh, I LOVE this kit!!!!!!! VERY detailed with tons of working features! The doors, hood and trunk all open. The hood and trunk feature separate underside bracing. The steering works and the backs of the front seats even fold forward! Some issues were better than others as some had a lot of flash on the parts. It really builds into a very nice, accurate Turbine car though! Seeing this has me wanting another!!!!!!

i have one.. minus the motor that is up for trade..

I built one a few years ago, but I gotta tell ya..............I practically had to reengineer everything about it as nothing fit the way I like 'em to. The doors particularly were very fiddly so I ditched the kit's hinges and made my own. Much more sturdy! If anyone of you want to build this................get set for a LOT of test fitting!

....................and hair pulling! :D

001-vi.jpg

002-vi.jpg

005-vi.jpg

003-vi.jpg

007-vi.jpg