Model Cars Magazine Forum

Meyers Manx

gwaltz1

I have the Porsche 356 wheels and will be casting them soon, and will be also modifying them for fitment to the manx kit when I get a hold of one. I will also have some wide versions for the rear too

Yahoo Ryan!!!! Now, my 356's will be safe. ;)

Roger, a friend of mine has a Subaru turbo engine in a clone buggy, SCAREY FAST !

My friend Kathleen's Manxter runs a Subie too....just a tick over 300hp, last I knew, and there were hints that she was going to chip & intercool it next. She's done Hot Rod's 'Power Tour' twice now.

014_G.sized.jpg

Edited by VW Dave

To make side pods, if you weren't concerned about casting them, I'd make 'stringers' like you see in model airplane construction and skin them with thin sheet styrene. Some people refer to this style of construction/fab as 'trellis' work, like you see in prototype car building.

Exoto made a 1:18 diecast replica of the prototype Cobra Daytona Coupe, referred to as a 'rolling trellis:'

RLG18019.JPG

Edited by VW Dave

Here's the three stages of trying to undercoat the Purple Metallic Meyers Manx Dune Buggy Top:

Unpainted:

post-3-0-07659000-1325034164_thumb.jpg

Painted Tamiya Silver undercoat:

post-3-0-38300500-1325034175_thumb.jpg

Sprayed Tamiya Semi Gloss Black on top of Silver:

post-3-0-12268300-1325034185_thumb.jpg

I agree with Jairus, you have to sand down those sink marks from inside, and polish them up enough so that they don't show.

Thanks, Jairus!!!

I have the Porsche 356 wheels and will be casting them soon, and will be also modifying them for fitment to the manx kit when I get a hold of one. I will also have some wide versions for the rear too

I'd like to do the earlier 'solid' Beetle wheels for a Manx application, using either the Hasegawa Kübel or Gunze '56 Beetle centers, and Arii/Otaki rims like I did for my Charger(minus the weathering, of course):

Arii wheel & tire:

DSCN3393_edited-vi.jpg

And my modded deep Cragars for the Charger:

DSCN5984_edited-vi.jpg

is there a source for those white 5-spoke wheels that were on a ton of these things?

You're most likely talking about the Jackman 5-spoke; my 1:1 has chrome ones, but no kit ever had them:

DSCN2053-vi.jpg

empinut(Bill) was working on them, and he sent me a nice pre-production set of his resin centers for my replica, but I haven't heard anything since.

Thanks for the compliment, Ryan. Lemme see what I've got for kit or resin centers...maybe we can help each other out. You have a PM, sir.

Just a quick note on my buddy Ryan, Dave. .. he is a superb resin caster! His wheels are smooth and clean as silk (or injected plastic, if you will)

. I'm going to love seeing what comes of this ! :)