Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jeep Commando "phantom" pickup WIP

Jeep Commando phantom pickup  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Have these body parts cast???

• yes, I'd build one!
    • nope, not my cup of tea...
    • maybe :^)

Here's what you get when you kitbash two MPC Commandos, a Dodge D50 for inner bed & frame, and assorted other bits from the parts box...

I'd love to build something similar in 1:1 someday, too bad Jeep didn't do this back in the day!

IMG_24602.jpg

Don't like the "bullnose" front clip, but eventually will get the more Jeep looking 67-71 frontend B)

IMG_24612.jpg

Added 22 scale inches of additional wheelbase to really help the proportions...

IMG_2465.jpg

Thanks everyone for the positive comments! :lol:

Rodney, if it keeps its "bullnose" front clip, I'll probably tilt it since it's already one-piece.

Shelby, these are readily available under the "Model King" licensed reissue, although these two were "vintage" MPC kits.

Roger, if there is a demand for it, someone could cast it...anyone? B)

Shelby, these are readily available under the "Model King" licensed reissue, although these two were "vintage" MPC kits.

Not to be Mr.Nitpicky, but I believe Stevens International reissued it, not Model King. :angry: Model King DID reissue the '79 F-350... might be bashing that kit with this one sometime soon...

I like it a lot. what does it look like with a more stock suspension and wheels?

I'll yank it apart and put stock stuff on it & we'll see!

Not to be Mr.Nitpicky, but I believe Stevens International reissued it, not Model King. B) Model King DID reissue the '79 F-350... might be bashing that kit with this one sometime soon...

You're right Chuck, I don't know why I always get those two mixed up :blink:

Whatever company gets involved in these reissues, I'm just glad they bring back some of our favorite vintage kits...keep 'em coming! B)

looking good there Jeff, I like the idea of a separate bed/cab. The chassis lift looks spot on and just the right height.

Those look like tires from Ma's Resin, am I correct? If so, where did the wheels come from? I just got some tires from Ma's and am looking for some different wheels to use with them.

Get this thing done and show us how it looks! Would also be curious to see that Scrambler body (hint hint).

very cool Jeff :lol: i'm not a fan of that square front either and it's why i decided to let go of the Commando kit that i did have. i really prefer the earlier style front so much more.

Thanks Dave! We may still see a conversion for these to the 67-71 style front clip ;)

looking good there Jeff, I like the idea of a separate bed/cab. The chassis lift looks spot on and just the right height.

Those look like tires from Ma's Resin, am I correct? If so, where did the wheels come from? I just got some tires from Ma's and am looking for some different wheels to use with them.

Get this thing done and show us how it looks! Would also be curious to see that Scrambler body (hint hint).

Thanks also Mike!

Yep, those are Alan's excellent 35" BFG Mud-Terrains on resin Western Bullets, repopped

from the older issue Monogram 1/24 '56 Chevy. Many different wheels are on the way from Alan to fit all of his tires ;)

I've got lots of Scrambler info & pics on ORM :lol: You've been a member there for well over a year, but with just four posts! B) You're still on the list also, if you're still wanting one...