Model Cars Magazine Forum

Blown Challenger

aksarben

Hello all.

Here is my latest completion.

Revell 2009 Challenger.

Love the kit, the engineering and fit are awesome.

Wheels from a die cast viper modified to fit inside Pegasus 23" sleeves.

Pegasus tires up front.

Viper meaty tires from the die cast in back.

Aftermarket racing harnesses.

Scratchbuilt:

Blower, scoop, pullies and belts.

Roll bar.

Dollar store flat white spray can.

Rustoleum crystal clear enamel clear coat, wet sanded, polished with scratch X.

Buffed out with dremel tool cotton pad.

I'm not completely happy with the finish.

This is the shiniest I have been able to get a finish yet but it still is just not shiny enough, looks "satiny".

Let me know what you think.

More Photos Here

Steve

100_4317.jpg

100_4299.jpg

100_4318.jpg

100_4272.jpg

100_4245.jpg

100_4300.jpg

100_4294.jpg

Hey Steve,

No worries on this one, looks great. I don't know why, but you just never seem to see a lot of white cars, seems like black and red are the two most popular colors. Your car just looks so distinctive and the finish on the paint looks good to me. The trim really pops out the white paint, man, I think it's one sharp Challenger. Not too over the top, almost a sleeper except for the blower, very subtle, but I think that's what makes it so elegant.

Thanks for posting!

Mike

Hey Steve,

Before I forget, try polishing out the paint before you polish out the clear, I always thought you just needed to polish the clear only, but just give a decent polish to the paint before clearing, don't have to give it too much elbow grease, you'd be surprised, I was.

Like I said, finish looks just right to me, this car just looks great.

Mike

This Challenger looks great! I think more shine would have taken away from the raw nature of this car with the blower through the hood.

On a side note, the flat white with clear is probably why it wasn't so shiny. I've done that on the interior of my 1:1 Cavalier to give it a finished look without the glare of gloss paint in bright sunlight.

Edited by Skydime

How cool, I'm glad this has been accepted so well.

Thanks everyone for the great comments.

How did you do the black area around the windshield? Did you just mask and paint with black or ???

The kit has raised lines on all of the glass and I just carefully hand brushed acrylic black paint on the inside doing my best to stay outside of the lines.

What diecast viper did the wheels come from?

I wish I could remember specifically, it was a very old die cast racing Viper my son had probably 10 years ago.

White with 2 blue racing stripes down the middle and a wing on the back.

Thanks all!

Steve

Outstanding!!! Great stance and I really love it that you did not put a chrome blower in it.

Thanks, I was looking at reference photos of blowers and saw a black one, it just hit me as the perfect match for my black and white theme. And you don't see too many of them.

Hey Steve,

Before I forget, try polishing out the paint before you polish out the clear

Mike

I guess I never thought of that either, thanks for the tip and I'll remember that next time.

Steve