Model Cars Magazine Forum

Long John

samdiego

Ok, I admit I'm totally not up on this car, whether the real one or the model (if there is a real one...)

but how is the engine getting air??? :blink:

Front mounted Potvin blower and two Kinsler mechanical injectors. Prolly takes air from below the open chassis. Yes-I'm that old... :P

Thanks

Those are the Modelhaus tires. An improvement over the originals, for sure, but they respond strangely to sanding. I pulled the Firestone decals from the Revell '55 sheet. I've heard that this was patterned after a real car but I can't remember who's. The front mounted blower must be correct. Wasn't the Sling Shot an early Swamp Rat?

Edited by samdiego

• 4 months later...

Ok, I admit I'm totally not up on this car, whether the real one or the model (if there is a real one...)

but how is the engine getting air??? :blink:

Check the ad on page 6 of the current MCM issue #162. :P

Galaxie Limited is reissuing the Monogram kit, which they describe as follows:

"Fuel dragsters first became popular during the late 1950s and early 1960s. One of the most well-known of the type was Cal Rice's Hot Rod Magazine Special - its ultra-streamlined shape and powerful Chrysler Hemi engine made it a standout. Pictures of the actual car can be found in the Hot Rod 1959 Annual (Trend Books). Monogram Models based their Long John Dragster kit, one of the most popular model kits of the early days of plastic model cars, on the Hot Rod Special."

calricehrdragster.jpg

"1958: Rodders were breaking international marks, including the standing kilo, at a record clip. Cal Rice and his J.E. Riley/Hot Rod Magazine Special broke Auto Union's long-standing (21 years) record of 117 (19.08 e.t.) with a pass of 123 (18.10) at March Air Force Base."

Edited by sjordan