Model Cars Magazine Forum

'54 Chevy Sedan Delivery

Greg Pugh

So here is another one of my builds that I started way back when and I decided to blow the dust off of it today and get it back on the bench while I'm stalled on a couple of my other projects (waiting for the mail to come). I'm putting '97 Corvette running gear and frame/suspension under it.

Here's a mock-up shot showing the rolling stock I've chosen for it and the target ride-height.

1-vi.jpg

2-vi.jpg

3-vi.jpg

Edited by gpugh1976

Here you can see what I've got going on with the Corvette 'gear. I had to stretch the frame out to match the Delivery's wheel base. This is where I left off. I was kinda roughing stuff in. I took these pics as the stuff came out of the box.

4-vi.jpg

I also opened up the back door before I put 'er away last time...

5-vi.jpg

did Revell ever address the body issues on this kit as they promised? i've built a few of them and that windshield opening is a sore point. same issue existed on their '54 Chevy kit as well.

I don't know anything about that. This kit is the 1987 release so I hope so......

if it is the '87 then it hasn't been fixed. although, at that time maybe the mold hadn't deteriorated as bad as when they were saying they WOULD fix it. anyway, it's the header bar over the windshield, mostly, and sink marks elsewhere. the plastic was so thin along the windshield trim edge that it couldn't stand any sanding or cement. from your pics, i'd say you don't have that issue...

BTW... i'd love for Revell to re-release the sponsor decal sheet they used to provide in this kit, with the stars as well.

So today I was fiddling around with this and I noticed that the frame rails didn't sit down flush with my workbench right where I cut the frame and made my extensions to extend out the wheelbase. I thought this was all good to go but I may have just checked the frame for straightness from the top, not so much in if it was level from the bench. Oh the joys of airing all of my mistakes in a build thread.... :lol:

So, I made a cut and kinda "wedged" styrene in the cut to level it out.

6-vi.jpg

I still have the other side to go as it is also suffering from the same problem. But, I started to feel like the whole set-up was a little.....crappy. I don't doubt that I can get it all straightened up but then I started pondering the idea of using the kit-supplied frame along with the lengthened Corvette drivetrain assembly and installing all of the Corvette suspension components onto the original frame. What do you guys think?

7-vi.jpg

Tough call... you've put a lot of work into the Corvette frame already, but the setup might not be the most realistic, and you could wind up with fit issues further on in the build that will take more time and effort to fix. On the other hand, you'll have to put some work into swapping the suspension stuff onto the '54 frame, but it might make for an easier time later on in the build during final assembly. I'd go for the suspension swap, if it's not major surgery to do that on the '54 frame.

Looks like a really cool project Greg! I think I would add the Corvette stuff to the original chassis just for simplicities sake. Another option for the chassis might be the one from the full detail Chezoom. Throw away the junk suspension and it's a pretty nice chassis.

You're welcome Greg. The only reason I mentioned it is because I ran across one in my parts box the other day and thought "that would make a nice chassis without the kit suspension!" If I didn't have a project planned for it already, I would give it to you.