Model Cars Magazine Forum

What motivates you to build?

its a creative outlet

and tough most of the time id rather be out fishing, hunting, dirtbiking or other stuff building models is something i can do white family

(a lot of times ill set up on the kitchen table while the wife watches a movie, does dishes, cooks or whatever it is women do)

Usually, if I get bored with everything else going on in my life (when I'm not too tired from work) I'll build. If I get a vision in my head for one of the builds in my stash I'll pull it out, start working on it and then write down my plans so I don't forget what I wanted to do to it later down the road.

I was a jewelry / watchmaker guy , and for me some of what I know carries over into a creative outlet that really has no

boundaries , that i can tell yet . I don't know if I am weird or what but the building of the model is the fun for me , not the actual collecting of

them. Great thread !!

Nope. Weasel, I'm that way too. LOVE to start 'em, but once I get to finishin 'em up, I get bored with it, I did every thing I wanted to do to it, so why not build it? I dunno, i just get bored with it, an start something else. I haven't FINISHED a model in years. I guess I like to start new stuff, but get kinda bored fast, so I'll start something else. Might be just us, but who knows how many of "us" are out there! :lol:;)

George your scaring me lol , I used to make pocket knives from scratch , single blade double blade , double locks ,

all kind of folders ,but mostly traditional folders . I got sick of em . I felt like it was only so much you could do .

Maybe its because I am getting back into modeling , but it just seems like there is so much less to get bored with .

You paint , you glue , you kit bash ,you make your own parts . I am making a truck bed out of stainless steel ,

and yes you can solder stainless for anyone who thought that was a out there statement , then the plan is

to jewel the bottom of it . At this point it just seems like there are so many different avenues to be creative . And

looking at folks on here Builds it amazes me some of the creativity I have looked at on here .

A better question might be, what doesn't motivate me to build? I can be reading a copy of Hot Rod Deluxe, pulling into the grocery store parking lot and seeing a 'cherry' old, (your fave car here), watching an old movie on Turner Classic Movies and see an old coupe pass by in a scene, you get the idea. I fall asleep thinking about projects - quite frankly, I think that sometimes all this 'inspiration' is what keeps me from completing many of my builds, as I can't seem to finish one before some new motivational pull has grabbed by attention. Good question, though.

Wow... what motivates me? Hmm... after several years away from the hobby I can tell you first hand it's in my blood, and I've missed it dearly. I love creating. Doesn't matter if it's a model, music, or one of my 1:1 rides, I love seeing an idea through. Writing a good song is just as satisfying as a killer paint job. A killer paint job is as good as the jumping off point of the NEXT project. Seeing it come together is the payoff. As a side note, my hobby room is cleaned! After the holidays I'll assess what I need as far as fresh supplies and I'm back in.....

Besides, model building is a WHOLE LOT cheaper than filling the garage & yard with full size money-pits!

Helps relive great childhood memories, it's a creative outlet, for stress relief, and you can build in scale what you can't afford 1:1!!!

This is the category I fall into. I may or may not ever be able to afford a 1:1 but I can build what I want in scale and have it look the way I want.

I think everyone has the same motovation its all about having fun right guys? I too have built many 1:1 muscle cars and trucks of all sorts so its just hands on building stuff and seeing what comes out of the ideas and detail you put into a build.I get lots of inspiration from pictures and going to car shows when I have time.Then I build the dream.