Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run CBP 2012

slantasaurus

Don't be too hasty Rob. I doubt anyone will see the eyeball any closer than your pic and it looks xxxx fine to me. I appreciated it even more after a productive evening tonight and was painting pieces about that size. Considering your results I had a new appreciation for what you've got. Unless of course you mucked... well, anyway.

Ron, that blue may be dark, but that's about right for how I remember some of those early 60's mopars. Frankly, I'd say a pretty good choice.

Erik, you've got some work to do, but I'd sure like to see you pound it out. Remember, this is mostly a build/photo contest, so I look forward to you getting far enough to at least display for nice pics. Besides, I GOTTA know how those balls factor in. :lol: :lol:

Aaaargh! Really? Really!? Haven't we been through this already!? The paint had been flat, which looked fine. But after some consideration I decided to throw a coat of Rustoleum gloss on it... and... well... time for a swim. Then see if I can figure out that custom mix of color again. (Remember kids, don't forget to prime).

DashCrappy.jpg

DashInPond.jpg

Mike, do yourself a favor and throw everything from Rustoleum away. The stuff is the worst kind of junk. Even that no name brand from WalMart is better.

Krylon Crystal Clear is miles better and an acrylic so it will go over about anything.

Keep it going guys.

Erik, you've got some work to do, but I'd sure like to see you pound it out. Remember, this is mostly a build/photo contest, so I look forward to you getting far enough to at least display for nice pics. Besides, I GOTTA know how those balls factor in. :lol: :lol:

Well, the Gremlin diversion build is close to completion, so I am getting back to this car.

406 so far

242D4C02-C102-466B-8110-16C05E34D03F-58269-000010772567579F.jpg

I have to recast the valve covers - the molds have been sitting so long they were full of dust and debris.

Oh, and the balls? Not for this project - eyeball shifter for 1/8 T-Bucket:

81F491A0-6463-43DC-A13D-62269037AD41-58303-00001078B652D135.jpg

Body also revived some more primer tonight...

*Gasp*.....I actually did some modeling today. Not much though, I added the door panel extentions to the rear of the interior tub. When I went to add the extentions to the front part of the tub I realized I screwed up. The pieces I made would have worked fine if I left the JoHan interior firewall in place. Since I hadn't cut it out yet, because it helped me measure the depth I needed to add, I forgot that when it was cut away I needed to compinsate for the kickpanel area. So, out came the cardstock (actually I used the end flap off a carton of Winstons) and more sheet styrene. I now have 2 new door panel extentions and kickpanels. I haven't taken any pics yet since I'm planning on going to a 1:1 car show tomorrow (Mopars at Big Daddy's) so I'll take some when I get home tomorrow and load them all up. I also need to add some Evergreen strip to better detail the almost non-existant engraving and add the arm rests from the Lindberg kit. BTW, as I was searching images to detail the door panels I realized that the JoHan interior is completely wrong for this car. The engraved detail doesn't match any 62 Dodge trim level 330, 440, or 500. Even the Dash isn't correct as it should have several small round bezels below the speedo.......this kit has none. Too late to fix any of that now, this interior is going to be sort of freestyle, as even if I had the time there would be no way to fix the dash.

Working on the interior - straight from the box except the new floor shifter. That is Tamiya racing green on the dash - a lot brighter than I imagined but will still be cool.

57D16BCA-7789-44FF-9AF0-EA9F8B519578-66531-000012A5D5EF67CA.jpg

I got frustrated working around all the framework, so I cut most of it out and will ad cross members where I need them.

14A6A3C4-F557-4F49-B505-01F71C45AA0F-66531-000012A6088652C3.jpg

I did some BMF on the '49 tonight. This is not going to be my best work. The engraving around the side windows is so shallow the blade keeps slipping. It will be a cool shelf model, but it'll never see a contest table. Pics after it gets some decals and clear.

Well, I`m gonna call myself officially out of the running. I`ve been so busy with full size projects and other things I havent even opened the box since I took my first pics. On the up side I did manage to slip in some time to finish a Meyers Manx.......... it only took me a year!! :P

There are some cool rides coming together on here and I`m looking forward to seeing the finished jobs. Good luck to everyone, see you on the next build.

Here we go again, an update to my Chrysler 300C.

The body is primered. There were not many mold lines to sand or any other cleanup-things on the body. First I sprayed one coat of Grey primer, it looked smooth so then I painted white primer. Why I do like this is because Maston white primer don't show the mistakes so well as the grey one. The white is because the body will be white, and it will cover that easier than grey. I hope to have it painted tomorrow.

Also painted the chassis with "Red Oxide Primer" and shooted some overspray to it. Not too happy with it, since it's done with spray can and it looks way too rough, I mean that the spray should be much finer. But that's the best I could do with spray cans. Frame is painted too and so are all chassis parts, tomorrow it will start to pop up together.

PB060459.jpg

PB060460.jpg

PB060456.jpg

PB050448.jpg

Today I was able to get that body painted. I'm not completely happy about that result, maybe Maston's white paint hates me. :lol: Every body that I have painted with it, has turned out bad, or at least something that I'm not completely happy about. This is one of the bests with that paint, but however I can't be completely happy with it. Maybe decals, clear and polishing will make it good, hopefully it'll go like that.

And started the chassis assembly, too. Engine sits very nicely on place, but upper A-Arms were really tricky to get fit right. Cutting the locator pins was needed to make them fit. Same problem with the exhaust so far, they don't fit at all. And other one is badly in the picture, I haven't glued it to the exhaust manifold yet. Frame is also glued to the chassis. On the next update this should be on four wheels.

PB070466.jpg

PB070468.jpg

PB070470.jpg

PB070482.jpg

PB070486.jpg

Compare with another Hemi I have on the bench. :D

PB070488.jpg

That engine looks great Niko. The body doesn't look too bad, maybe just a little color sanding for smoothing and you'll probably feel better about it.

ARC, sorry to hear about your exit. I was kind of looking forward to your entry. If last year was any indication, I know you would have brought a very serious contender... in other words, a beauty!

Erik, that interior looks super clean! I can't wait to see more of this.

The early Hemi in the AMT '57 300 is a lovely piece of work and you've done it justice there.

I'm ready for paint on the panel delivery - No more scratch building apart from a fuel tank (probably should have one of them!), exhaust system and all the ###### that will be bouncing around in the back.

I'm thinking silver & blue (although I am tempted by a jar of hemi orange) and have been designing some decals for the sides.

Oh, and the styrene gods were not smiling on me. I knew the parts from The Modelhaus were for the old SMP(?) '60 pick up but I hoped that they would be a close enough fit to be useable.

No.

"Glass" wasn't even close and the grille would have needed a hell of a lot of grinding to sit right. Oh well, a split windscreen doesn't look too bad (to hide the crack) and I can use the custom grille from the kit.

I haven't touched this for 4 weeks due to having my folks visit but after we wave them off tomorrow i'll be right back into it.

Thanks for the compliments, Mike and Fred! Now when looking at the body completely dry, it looks like decals, clear and polishing will make it nice.

Chassis is on four wheels now, I had no fit issues with the rear axle, and that driveshaft fits very nicely too. Only front axle was very tricky to install, but luckily I got it right. However, it's on three wheels, one front tire don't touch to the ground. I have to adjust it a little.

Now on to the interior!

PB0804941.jpg

PB0804971.jpg

PB0804991.jpg

PB0805001.jpg

PB0805041.jpg

Decals are now on place. I wanted to keep it quite simple, because it will not look so much different then on the Race. The starting number for the race seems to be 12, hopefully it won't be the finishing number. :lol: Also started the interior work, seats are painted Humbroll's Radome Tan.

PB1005481.jpg

PB1005491.jpg

PB1005511.jpg

PB1005521.jpg

PB0905371.jpg

Thanks, Ray!

I got something done with the interior, door panels are foiled and assembled. It was real paint to get them Foiled nicely and they're not perfect, actually far away from it but they are good enough when installed. Also the dashboard is installed, it's painted white and black with brush. Seat belts are made too, only steering wheel, rear view mirror and tachometer are missing.

PB110577.jpg

PB110578.jpg

PB110579.jpg

PB110582.jpg

PB110583.jpg

EDIT: Very nice job with the Ford too, Rob! Decals look fantastic on that one.

Edited by W-409

ARC, sorry to hear about your exit. I was kind of looking forward to your entry. If last year was any indication, I know you would have brought a very serious contender... in other words, a beauty!

Thanks Luna. I appreciate the comment. Your words actually inspired me to get my tail in gear. Last year was my first Cannonball and I had a good time with it. I really REALLY hate to not finish anything I begin let alone not even start it. It was actually bugging me that I bailed out last week,so if its cool with you guys I`m gonna jump back in.

I took alook at the Fairlane this afternoon and decided with the type of build I originally had planned for it and the next 3 days off I can make some major headway and do my darndest to make the start line. I spent 3 hours on it so far today and plan to put in at least a couple more. I`ll put up some pics later this eve.

Ok...I'm still alive. :lol:

Been held up lately due to school, work, and working on my 1:1. However the other day, I pulled the '55 out of the box and did some foiling (did you know I hate foiling with a passion?). Mainly just gotta finish that and then paint the hood. Then I think it'll be about done. Some real nice entries so far B)

Thats strange, I actually LIKE BMFing. Thas what I was doing tonight, its questionable if I'll actually finish the Dart though. A few nights ago I realized that I have no mufflers and my parts box is 1000 miles away so I'm going to try to scratchbuild some. I'm not the fastest builder and there isn't any area of the Dart that is finished yet. We'll see what I have in a couple weeks.