Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run CBP 2012

slantasaurus

I`d be doing better if I could get my head out of my ... for a breath of fresh air.

I`ve been so busy with a couple custom motorcycles I`ve been building (real ones) that I haven`t had the time to even say the word Model. After the bikes are done I`m starting on a real truck and another motorcycle. Somewhere in between all that I`m gonna fit in a Cannonball

Forgot to mention that everyones cars are looking great!

After all this Mopar talk, the '60 Cor-Vex's 283 sounds like a punch line, but it's almost done being wired. Photos will be posted when I have something to boast about, which shouldn't be long. The interior is half painted and half masked for color number two. Primer on the body revealed some pesky but manageable problems. I get at it about every 2-3 days, so no rest for the weary and all that.

Greetings everyone, Sorry my entire is a little late Slant I've been meaning to do this for the past month but life's been keeping me busy. I'm sure all of you can relate to that.

My entire this year will be a 55 Corvette, which was a gift from my cousins, it fits the bill for this contest so it's what I'll be building. I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep it original. Something that wouldn't raise any eyebrows on the road. That was my theme last year and it's what I'll be doing this year.

Here's the first pic's.

Post1Pic1.jpg

Post1Pic2.jpg

Post1Pic3.jpg

And there it is I'll start working on it directly.

I've been going through the pages trying to get myself up to speed on the builds and must say. Wow, they are all top notch, great work everyone keep it up! :)

A couple weeks ago I sprayed some interior pieces ivory for the '60 Cor-Vex. I masked with (old) Bare Metal and tonight I added the second color. Looks blue but it's turquoise. Pretty nice. Seats need some touch up but it's manageable. BUT.....

InteriorPieces.jpg

What the HORK happened to the door panels!!!???

IntDoorPanelsCrap1.jpg

IntDoorPanelCrap2.jpg

IntDoorPanelCrap3.jpg

Simple. Haste makes waste. The ivory color was Krylon enamel. The turquoise was Duplicolor lacquer. The lacquer melted the enamel and shrunk it. But wait, why didn't it happen to the seats? The seats were primered first so the enamel had a better grip. The door panels had no primer and just slid at the whim of the lacquer. That's my best guess. This may be the first time I've ever had to repaint over a foolish mistake. It's all night swim at the purple pond.

• 2 weeks later...

Alligator skin...

:huh:

Yeah! I'd a left them like that. They look cool.

I've been busy finishing a build for a show in April. Then I was ruining a paintjob and now i'm finishing a build for a show at the end of May (another '60 Chevy pick up so think of it as a trial run). However, we got loads of time...

At least now I know how to recreate the cracked vinyl of an old, sun baked beater. Yeah Zen I considered leaving them if the cracks were smaller and more textured like toward the front. Even while it was happening I poured more lacquer onto it trying to intensify the cracks but this is where it stayed. They've already been stripped, look undamaged and are ready to start over.

I did some resurfacing of the body tonight so I can put to rest some annoying imperfections and be satisfied with the more tolerable imperfections.

The paint job I was ruining looked just like your door panels. I even tried to sand it back and then clear over it for a crackle effect (it was black over gold) but that failed as well so now it's taking a bath.

I actually got a little bit of modeling done tonight. I was fitting the inner fenders, firewall and core support to the Dart body, which needed some work where I cut out the original core support. Now everything fits like it should, I just need to add a little bit of Evergreen to the top of the Lindberg kits core support to mate up with the Dart hood and every thing should be fine. I'm hoping I can get it in paint maybe next week or at least sometime soon before the humidity makes painting out of the question.

Also, I still haven't gotten around to adding a few people to the entry list on page 1, I'm going to try to do that in the next day or so.

Edited by slantasaurus

• 2 weeks later...

The 60 Cor-Vex is in final primer, sanded and tonight will get masked for the beginning of color coats. Here's the 283. I tried weathering with Tamiya Smoke. First time I've used acrylic for weathering and as far as I'm concerned it's a fail. I think I'll go back to tube oils until I get more education.

There's no kit carb, just a plug to mount the air cleaner. There's no way you'd see it anyway. Pretty simple engine, all the upper engine except the valve covers is one piece, including coil & distributer, so I may still add a couple touches.

Engine3_web.jpg

Engine2_web.jpg

The body of my V-8 Corvair is in putty and should be ready for primer within a day or two. I need to get a lot of it done this week since we're leaving on vacation for a week next Saturday. We'll be visiting our daughter, who we haven't seen in about 5 years and her kids, (including her son who we haven't even met yet!), so I'm not planning on taking any model stuff along. Our time will be for the family. If I remember to shoot some pics, I'll post them before we leave.

I have sort of run out of steam on modeling for a while boys and girls. Got lots of stuff going on at work (odd shifts that keep changing) and at home (house hunting) and just keeps stealing my free time so I never really get into that zone where things get accomplished. I'll be back when things calm down. Keep building.

Also I won't be at the IPMS Nats in Orlando after all. I'm not an IPMS member and I'm not going to pay to join just to enter the show.