Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run CBP 2012

slantasaurus

Jim that's quite a pedigree of aviation history in your family. I can't image how proud you must be to carry that family name.

I surely am. My father was a private pilot for several decades and instilled a love of flying in me too. Of course, another part of that comes from the fact that my folks gave me the middle name "Eugene", after my great great uncle. My older daughter carried on the family aviation tradition when her first daughter was born - She named her Ameilia, after Amelia Earhart. She added the extra "I" just to give her a touch of uniqueness.

... After all, this is a bit of fun and not a serious rivet counting exercise.

I couldn't agree more! You do it the way you want to do it - it's YOUR model! As I see it, if the technology to make a part was there in 1962, it's fair game. Whether or not it had actually been done for a given use up to that point is immaterial. After all, somebody had to be the first to do anything, right? ;)

Thanks Mike and Fred! :D

I'm really interested about seeing that '62 Thunderbird-project. It'll be nice as always, I guess.

Little update for the '57 Chrysler. Wheels and tires are finished. I painted wheels with Tamiya red paint, bolts and nuts are aluminium and then I added bit of The Detailer. I think they look pretty good at the moment. Also I bought air cleaners for this yesterday, and now I glued them on their place. Carburetor detailing can be done anyway.

P3040115.jpg

P3040116.jpg

P3040117.jpg

P3040119.jpg

Hey all...

Well it has been a strange couple of years that kept me from getting to the start line of the last couple of Cannonballs. Heck, last years car never made it out of primer and truth be told I finished one car all year. I'm far from being able to commit to getting in the mix this year but wanted to say hey and good luck to everyone. I'm glad the tradition has been kept alive for another year. It's awesome to see the rules and nature of the contest kept intact over 4 years (now 5). Most of these builds fall apart in the first year so to see the support and enthusiasm for this is great. The pre 62 theme is really way out of my normal builds and I've already done a 55 300sl for Cannonball year two (all be it with a M119 V8 engine swap).

Slant - Thanks so much for taking the lead on this

Zenrat, Jantrix... eveyone else that has continued to support this... thanks to you as well. Looks like it's time for me to hit the shelves for a starting point.

Dave - vwdave92 - on both sites... :D

My current project became my prior project last night, so my Plymouth wagon is finally back on the table as I type this!

Niko, I AM taking notes, since my wagon will have the same Hemi as you're using... Same chassis too! Being a Chevy guy, I need all the help with this Mopar stuff I can get, and it's good to have someone with that knowledge right here where I can look at how it's done right. Your model looks great so far, and I hope mine comes out something like as well.

Okay, I started my T-bird project yesterday by painting almost all of the engine and suspension parts by brush. Today i started the engine assembly by gluing intake manifold, water pump, valve covers and oil pan in place. Next, I'm going to put the plug wires and fuel line from carburettors to fuel pump and then I start the motor end-stacking and finishing. :)

IMG_1289-vi-th.jpg

Edited by ChevyCoupe41

Niko, I AM taking notes, since my wagon will have the same Hemi as you're using... Same chassis too! Being a Chevy guy, I need all the help with this Mopar stuff I can get, and it's good to have someone with that knowledge right here where I can look at how it's done right. Your model looks great so far, and I hope mine comes out something like as well.

Thanks, Jim!

That Hemi is great quality, and maybe that's why it looks that good. I'm Chevy guy too, and reference pictures are not so great, because original air cleaners hide too much of the engine details. So don't look too closely so it's not a disapointment if colors etc are wrong. :lol: But of course I'm trying my best, and it's great to hear that my pictures help you with your interesting project.

T-Bird Engine looks very good too, maybe needs to pick that kit also, since it's good quality.

Slant - Thanks so much for taking the lead on this

Zenrat, Jantrix... eveyone else that has continued to support this... thanks to you as well. Looks like it's time for me to hit the shelves for a starting point.

Dave, glad you could drop by. We all know how life gets in the way of such things.

We would love for you to return to the fold once again, but if not, based on the interest here, another run next year looks like a safe bet. I am so very glad we were able to get our core group of Cannonballers to come over to this forum. The best group of builders on the net, on the best forum.

... The best group of builders on the net...

Who? Where?! Don't let them enter this...

The more the merrier in my book. After all, there is only a finite number of cops chasing us and every extra entrant reduces the odds I get caught.

Don't worry about correct engine colour Niko & Jim. Your engine shop repainted the block when they stripped it down for blueprinting & tuning...

Don't worry about correct engine colour Niko & Jim. Your engine shop repainted the block when they stripped it down for blueprinting & tuning...

Yes they did. It gives some free color choices and stuff like that, and that's great.

Hmmm... That does give me an idea for a little bit of "Huh?" factor for my build: I could paint it in whatever the regular color would have been for a Plymouth engine in 1960. Even I know that the early Hemi was never available in a Plymouth, just the other four Chrysler divisions (Dodge, DeSoto, Chrysler, and Imperial)... I think I have a little bit of web searching ahead of me this evening! :P

(Edit: 2 minutes later - The Plymouth V-8 was red in 1960, the Slant-6 was light blue. One red Hemi comin' right up!)

Edited by CorvairJim

Notice I didn't say "best builders", just "best group of builders". Everyone knows we can't build our way out of a wet paper bag, Zen. :)

I wouldn't have to build my way out of that wet paper bag, Rob: I'd just hack away at it with my trusty X-Axto knife. Of course, if the bag is really all that wet, it would soon become my RUSTY X-Acto knife! (Or at least the blade would... :unsure:)

No major work finished, just a lot of little things I've done in the last few weeks...

When I cut out the stock radiator support there was still some plastic under the fenders, last night I was talking to a friend who asked me how the inner fenders from the 64 kit fit the 62 body so I decided to mock them up today. It looks like some more cutting/grinding is in order...

003-36.jpg

Basic engine block/heads/intake are assembled and painted, it is painted Hemi Orange it just looks red in the pic...

005-25.jpg

The 64 Dodge kit has a narrowed Dana 60 rearend, that won't do for a 62 Max Wedge car so I raided a 71 Duster kit for an 8 3/4 rear (I can always build a Duster drag car with a Dana...). I already filled the notches in the Duster rear, the width seems to be just right for the car too so that will save me some work.

006-24.jpg

Finally, I cut out the floor from the shallow interior bucket, Like Jim's 60 Plymouth wagon it seems to be 1/4 - 3/16" too shallow. I still haven't decided if I want to cut the front seat away from the door panels (more work) or if I'm just going to extend the door panels down to a more correct depth.

007-18.jpg

I think I've decided on a color for the car, Testors Copenhagen Blue looks as close to the factory color as I have on hand. The only downside is that limits my interior color choices, I don't want to go with black, and I'm not crazy about white either.....that leaves me with a matching blue as my only real choice. At least a dark color will hide the lack of detail inside the car.

I still haven't decided if I want to cut the front seat away from the door panels (more work) or if I'm just going to extend the door panels down to a more correct depth.

I don't know Slant, I think cutting the seat out will open a pandora's box of time and effort. Rebuilding whole panels... will the end result reflect the effort? Extending down will probably be enough to keep you busy.

No question Rob, the rake looks pretty good.

Nice work guys.

Here's where i'm at. I've cut the cab away from the back of the door backwards and then attached the bed directly to the cab. This removes the need to fill a join as the join is now the door opening gap.

I've also built up the bed sides with styrene angle & rod as a foundation for filler which will be sanded to the same profile as the cab sides.

60ChevyPanelWIP001.jpg

Here's my version against a stock version to show how much length i've removed.

60ChevyPanelWIP002.jpg

Today I continued the motor assembly by putting the carburators, fuel line, distributor, plug wires and exhaust manifolds. I still need to lower the distributor to get the air filter fit well. Then start the engine final assembly. :)

IMG_1302-vi-th.jpg

Edited by ChevyCoupe41

I think I've decided on a color for the car, Testors Copenhagen Blue looks as close to the factory color as I have on hand. The only downside is that limits my interior color choices, I don't want to go with black, and I'm not crazy about white either.....that leaves me with a matching blue as my only real choice. At least a dark color will hide the lack of detail inside the car.

Ron: Do a search for your car on Google Images. You'll get a good idea of what colors were available and how they were laid out. That's what I did for my wagon and it was a huge help. I'm thinking a gold/white two tone with a gold-tone interior for mine. When I say "Gold Tone", I mean that the interior has different shades of gold, tan, beige, and off-white. Definitely more interesting than todays expanses of black or gray plastic and vinyl!

Update for Chrysler 300C. I installed transmission oil dipstick. That end of the stick (from where you lift it up, you know?) is made from brass wire, and turned out better than original one. Those belt pulleys were cut away from the original belt. New belt is made from paper. It's bit too thin, but I guess it's better than AMT's version of it. Also painted those center caps of wheels.

P3070137.jpg

Don't worry about those mold lines on the dipstick and oil filter, they are removed after taking these pictures...

P3070138.jpg

P3070139.jpg

Rear axle had one molded in type brake line...

P3040121.jpg

....So I removed it, and going to make new one later when the axle is painted...

P3040122.jpg

And here's the picture of those wheels...

P3080146.jpg

Rear axle is primered. It looks alright, could be better, but those little mistakes can't be seen on finished model. I'm going to paint it soon, but what color should it be in original car?

A 57 Chrysler along with most other cars would have a semi gloss black rearend housing, the differential center section would be unpainted cast iron on a Mopar, but Fords painted theirs red oxide primer.