Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run CBP 2012

slantasaurus

Priming a Mechanical Fuel Injection set up would only be required if the engine had stopped and needed to be restarted. I'm not planning to turn mine off until I reach the end of the run...

Does the movie clearly show the engine in the '55? 'Cause didn't they use the same car in 2 lane blacktop and IIRC that had a BBC in it (not justification to use one here, just rivet counting & nit picking).

Does the movie clearly show the engine in the '55? 'Cause didn't they use the same car in 2 lane blacktop and IIRC that had a BBC in it (not justification to use one here, just rivet counting & nit picking).

No, they never show the engine. You might be able to catch a glimpse of the bottom of the engine after it rolled. It would be moot, though, as the BBC was not available in 62, even though it was in 73 when the movie was made.

I just thought - they did not roll and burn the actual car...so, a little research. Yes, the actual car(s) did have BBC - 427 and a 454. The rolled car was a salvage yard HT with a b pillar added.

Edited by Erik Smith

After a couple weeks I was able to scratch some plastic. Here's the Cor-Vex well puttied and sanded. I think it's pretty much ready for primer. At the last minute I decided to change the rear wheel opening because I thought it still looked too much like a conventional '60 Corvette.

DSC03318.jpg

DSC03317.jpg

DSC03319.jpg

OK, i'm officially taking the plunge.

Entry form is in the post (with the cheque ;) ).

Contrary to rumours floating about on the interweb I will not be entering in a 1960 Pontiac Bonneville.

This is is because getting hold of one on this side of the big wet patch is proving tricky and being a tight git I refuse to pay some of the prices (or postage costs) asked on evil-bay USA.

So, I shall be entering in something put together out of this little lot.

60ChevyUte001.jpg

Now, where's that saw...

well that sucks, the 58 Corvette at work came in with a set of them on it, and it was supposedly stock so I figured they came out before 62, but now that I looked it up you guys are right. I guess it's time for some parts box searching!

Kind of stinks, but that's why I am enjoying this build. Lots of research - and you can't rely on Google because you can't confirm when the pictures were taken. I have been perusing magazines and books from 1962, so I know of it's in there, I can use it.

As far as wheels go, back in 1962, there wasn't a huge selection of wheels that you could choose from. Looking at any performance events (drags, hill climbs, etc) you see bare steel wheels on full size cars, American and Halibrand mags on Hot rods, and full wheel covers (mostly on the customs side). I'll post a couple pics when I dig out an old Hot Rod magazine.

Kind of stinks, but that's why I am enjoying this build. Lots of research - and you can't rely on Google because you can't confirm when the pictures were taken. I have been perusing magazines and books from 1962, so I know of it's in there, I can use it.

As far as wheels go, back in 1962, there wasn't a huge selection of wheels that you could choose from. Looking at any performance events (drags, hill climbs, etc) you see bare steel wheels on full size cars, American and Halibrand mags on Hot rods, and full wheel covers (mostly on the customs side). I'll post a couple pics when I dig out an old Hot Rod magazine.

Yeah, there aren't a lot of wheel choices for a 1962 era build. I'm not sure, does anyone know when Cragar S/S wheels came out ?

Here are a couple shots from Hot Rod 1962

Couple Pontiacs, steel wheels closest, heavy duty 8 lugs in back (which would make a cool choice):

0ef7cdc2.jpg

Bel Air running steel wheels (Lots of whitewall combos on the cars too):

35f9aa88.jpg

'62 Galaxie - steel wheels and wide whites narrow whitewalls:

18e08606.jpg

and a Ford powered Devin bodied car running the Pike's Peak Hill Climb:

19c48e51.jpg

This represents three or four events across the country (Oregon, Colorado, Massachusetts).

Edited by Erik Smith

I guess we can be confident that steel wheels were availible in 1962 :lol:.

What surprised me was that they were pretty much it. You have some variety in steel wheels (Holman Moody's), but probably 90% of the cars are running steel wheels. I have couple Car Crafts, too, from 1962, and you either had chrome steel wheels or full wheel covers. This may not be so surprising to folks who were living in 1962, but I was negative 9 at the time, so I don't remember it.

What's up with Photobucket putting that first picture sideways?

That '62 looks mean Billy - It'd look even more evil riding on a set of black steelies with trim rings & dog dishes.

Andy - Paint for a '55? How about beige & mustard 2 tone - something that would blend right in.

Wire wheels were obviously around too back then. I'm toying with using a set of these (fujimi) rims on my "truck".

Stardust07.jpg

When was the AMT parts pack with all the wheels in it (the one with the TV camera?) first released? There are some Halibrandish rims in there and some chrome multispoke artillary wheelish ones too.

Edited by zenrat

The Halibrand "Kidney bean" wheels and also the rectangular opening wheels both would have been availible. The multi spoke wheels also found in the AMT parts pack were around circa 1962, I have pictures of a very similar wheel on Tex Smith's AMBR winner the XR-6. Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels go back at least as far as the mid-50's as they could be ordered on high end Caddys, Chryslers, and Thunderbirds. Looking through the few vintage issues of Hot Rod that I have there are a few pictures of Gassers with 4 and 5 hole Slotted mag wheels.