Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run CBP 2012

slantasaurus

OK guys, I have somethings going on so I won't be able to check in much for at least the next few days but I will try to keep up with whats going on. If anyone new wants to join in I might not add you to the list right away but feel free to join in. I'll post when I can.

Great looking builds everyone ;)

Here's an update on mine!

The (almost finished) interior:

100_1518.jpg

The (almost finished) body:

100_1519.jpg

Yes, the Bondo spot it staying. This ain't no trailer queen! :lol: Also, this was my first time doing valve stems. Amazing how small of a detail can enhance the car like that.

The '55 is looking great, but I can imagine it will be a chore to drive cross country with it's evil handling and mind-numbing noise! I guess if James Taylor and Dennis Wilson could do it, you can too... At least it'll keep the driver awake, and the navigator too, for that matter! Definitely a white-knuckle ride. I still think a relatively quiet, ordinary-looking station wagon with a police-spec suspension and drivetrain, and plenty of stretch-out room for a 3-person team so there's always a co-driver rested and ready to go is the way to go in this race!

Hey guys just checking in from my new location, I tried to post this morning from my phone but I haven't figured out how to do anything other than view topics that way. Andy, the 55 is coming along nice, Robert, I'll add you to the list later on, that fuelie engine looks nice. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to my Dart in the next few days I did bring that with me along with enough tools to do the job.

Man that '55 looks nasty.

I'm working on the theory that it's not a long enough run to have to worry about sleeping. The co-driver can snooze in their seat until needed at which time they'll bang down a handfull of diet pills and take over. Well it is the 60's after all...

Update to '62 T-Bird. Yesterday i continued engine assembly and now its almost finished. Only thing what i had to put to the engine is air cleaner. I also painted all of those interior parts with red and silver and now they need just some BMF and finishing. The chassis is also painted with black so next i will start the chassis assembly.

IMG_1361.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1364.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I need a little help gang.

When I thought about this build before starting it, I certainly didn't expect the front seats to become a major design stumbling block. But here we are.

The original plan was to do it box stock. However the kit wheels were decidedly poor quality which prompted me to ditch that idea. This kit comes with a stock bench seat and some very funky looking buckets. Now I have tried to get a viable idea out of those buckets but they just suck. A trip into my parts bin turns up almost nothing pre-1963 at all that isn't a bench seat or is expecially small to look lost in that big interior bucket. I have so far resigned myself to using the kit bench seat.

I need some ideas and/or some trade offers if you have something that might work, that you'd be willing to part with. I'm looking for single/bucket seats that would look at home in this car. Thanks in advance.

I'm seeing some really nice stuff here... I really need to work mine into the schedule... I have two 1923 Model T's to finish (an AMT Depot Hack and an AMT Budwieser Delivery Van) and then I'll have room on the bench. I have a Hornet to build for next months model club meeting but I can work on it and the '56 SD at the same time... On the big workbench, I have a commisioned 1/350 USS Missouri Sept, 1945 fit, to build... Life is good! :)

Edited by Wagoneer81

Buckets for a '49 Jant?

My favourite period buckets have always been those in the AMT old mould '57 Chev.

However, for a cross country jaunt a nice wide saggy bench would be ideal as it would allow you to shuffle your arse around and drive from whatever position was comfortable.

Plus, there would be room for a pizza box or 2 between the driver & co-driver.

Buckets for a '49 Jant?

My favourite period buckets have always been those in the AMT old mould '57 Chev.

However, for a cross country jaunt a nice wide saggy bench would be ideal as it would allow you to shuffle your arse around and drive from whatever position was comfortable.

Plus, there would be room for a pizza box or 2 between the driver & co-driver.

Erik has come to my rescue with a pair of seats from a '62 T-Bird that will look right at home in the '49. The body is in final primer. Work is 7 days a week now, 2nd shift, so no telling when it will get done.