Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run CBP 2012

slantasaurus

Andy, Andy, Andy......do you really think they had billet alluminum belt driven fuel pumps in 1962 ?? There were camshaft drive mechanical pumps but they were made for Hilborn style injection. You would need some sort of alternator or generator to keep from draining the battery, a magneto or distributor could be used.

Also, when you scratchbuild your CB radio remember it would have been powered with vacuum tubes so its gotta be BIG and heavy, it will suck a lot of juice, and it won't have much range. Oh, and only a handfull of truckers even used them in 62 so there won't be many people to talk to..........and you'll need an FCC license. :)

I found a better picture of what I was planning on doing:

BGbeltdrive.jpg

They didn't even have this back in '62? Seems a lot less complicated than a cam driven pump :lol: Dang, not sure what to do now :\ I also never knew the CBs were powered with vacuum tubes, and I can't find any good reference on the internet, so I guess that's shot out of the water. :wacko:

Sorry, this was 35 years before my time, so yeah. :lol:

Most of the early drag racers i've built have had fuel pumps driven directly from the cam sprocket through the timing cover. No reason why they wouldn't have rigged up a suitable bracket and driven one with a pulley from the fan belt. Plumb in a return line to the tank to cope with excess pressure on the over-run.

A Magneto will spark without a battery but you'd need juice for the starter motor, lights and to warm the valves in the shortwave radio you would be using to communicate your back up team...

As I can't have a laptop and access to the internet I will be installing a complete set of encyclopedias, the yellow pages for all states to be crossed, enough large scale maps to cover the continental US of A, a cage or 2 of carrier pigeons, my address book and Rolodex, a pack of cards and a stack of girly mags...

Edited by zenrat

As I can't have a laptop and access to the internet I will be installing a complete set of encyclopedias, the yellow pages for all states to be crossed, enough large scale maps to cover the continental US of A, a cage or 2 of carrier pigeons, my address book and Rolodex, a pack of cards and a stack of girly mags...

Zen as always you thought of almost everything......except a roll of dimes for pay phones.....no cell phones in 62.

Most of the early drag racers i've built have had fuel pumps driven directly from the cam sprocket through the timing cover. No reason why they wouldn't have rigged up a suitable bracket and driven one with a pulley from the fan belt. Plumb in a return line to the tank to cope with excess pressure on the over-run.

A Magneto will spark without a battery but you'd need juice for the starter motor, lights and to warm the valves in the shortwave radio you would be using to communicate your back up team...

Guess I'll be going with the cam driven one then. What would I do about a water pump if the fuel pump is literally right on it?

Again, sorry for all the questions, way before my time :lol:

Zenrat you better leave the girly mags at home or you might start leaking fluid, spin out and end up in a ditch or worse.

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by SuperStockAndy

Guess I'll be going with the cam driven one then. What would I do about a water pump if the fuel pump is literally right on it? Again, sorry for all the questions, way before my time :lol:

Good question, the drag cars that used cam driven fuel pumps didn't use water pumps because they usually ran on nitromethane or methenol and didn't need cooling systems because they were only driven 1/4 mile at a time or sometimes a little longer on the dry lakes or salt flats.

Re-read my post Andy - i'm saying that AFAIAC you can use a belt driven pump. Just remember it would have been a vee belt.

I put razor saw to plastic yesterday and started bodywork. I've decided, as have others here, that a long roof is really the way to go and so will be converting the '60 pickup into one. Pics when I get a bit further and know what works in my head is feasible...

It should look something like this

4214734165_74f2bd5173.jpg

Edited by zenrat

Blurry picture time! :D

100_1482.jpg

100_1483.jpg

100_1484.jpg

Yes, some stuff looks scruffy, but it's my first time weathering a chassis and truly wiring an engine, so go easy on me. :lol:

And as you can tell by the chassis, this ain't no trailer queen! :lol: I also painted the wheelwells flat black to simulate burnt rubber.

Also, I'm doing some exhaust cutouts, I'm trying to figure out how I could make them work with a cable. :D

Edited by SuperStockAndy

I put razor saw to plastic yesterday and started bodywork. I've decided, as have others here, that a long roof is really the way to go and so will be converting the '60 pickup into one. Pics when I get a bit further and know what works in my head is feasible...

VERY cool. I started a conversion like this on one of those shortly after the model came out, but I never got around to finishing it. I don't know right offhand where it got to.

Anyhow, welcome to the "Longroof Family", Zenrat! It looks like a 1-2-3 sweep for us out in Long Beach... with my ol' Hemi Plymouth leading the way, of course! :):lol::D

You wish :lol:

How far did you get JIm?

Mine won't be a true replica as i'm guessing the 'burban used the same chassis as the pickemup and i've shortened my body by about 5 mm in order to get a snug cab to bed fit.

I'm thinking panel van with the round bubble windows from an AMT Chevy van. Bubble tops were around in '62 (Roth built the Beatnik Bandit in 1961) so bubble windows would have been possible then even if not popular on vans until later - lets say they are military surplus removed from a couple of bombers.

As I recall I got the body pretty well roughed out but I didn't have the final smoothing taken care of yet. The interior isn't there at all, but it sholdn't be too hard to do when I get back to it.

I'm a little skeptical of bubble windows of that size in the early 60's. Surplus military aircraft bubble windows, like for side guns, would probably be bigger than you'd want. Round, flat panel windows are a different matter. Those were used in some aircraft as far back as the 1930's.

I was thinking of the bubbles fitted to large multiengined aircrafdt for taking navigational observations with a sextant before the days of radionavigation.

I'll try and find some pics.

However, large bubbles were definately being blown for show cars then.

Here you go.

B29 Superfortress - look between the front upper turret and the streamlined radio antenna thingo - that's a bubble. There is also one just in front of the rear upper turret. IIRC they were used for gun aiming purposes in this case.

id_bomber_b29_03_700.jpg

23-0048a.gif

The desert boneyards would have been littered with these things inthe early sixties.

I'm still concerned about how those would scale out. With the huge size of a B-29, my guess is that those would be at least 2' across, and you'd probably be looking for something roughly half that size.

I bet that "Desert Boneyard" would have been something to see, though. I've seen film of them on TV and they were awe-inspiring. And to think these magnificent aircraft were just left there to rot away until they were cut up for scrap. I think I heard somewhere that there are only 2 remaining airworthy B-29's left in the world. My family has a background in Military aviation. My great-great uncle, Eugene Ely, was the first man to successfully fly onto and then off of the deck of a ship. He's known as "The Father Of Naval Aviation", and has his own display at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum. Also, I have an uncle who was an Ace in the South Pacific in WW II.

Finally some more stuff for my Chrysler. Fuel Line is installed, and I started working with those wheels and tires. Wheels are resin castings by Marko Piironen and they are great quality. Bit of sanding the tire and wheels fit perfectly.

P2290010.jpg

P2290008.jpg

P2290009.jpg

I like what I'm seeing Niko, that engine looks like it means business and your formula for wheel success made me chuckle.

Zen, I'm not too concerned about the custom window. I'm quite certain custom plexi (or lexan?) windows were available by 1962. Side note: My best friend actually has one of those bomber bubble windows, I believe it was from the B-36, but it was the same as the B-29 window. It's not huge but it probably was 2' dia. or better.

Jim that's quite a pedigree of aviation history in your family. I can't image how proud you must be to carry that family name.

Mmmmm, Hemi.

Still 'only' 392 cubes though Niko :P

Nice to have a bit of recent family history to be proud of Jim. My father designed parts of Royal Navy carriers back in the day. Me, I just stir sh#t.

I've only ever seen pics of the boneyards and they are depressing on a number of levels. But imagine the goodies you could have libirated out of them for your Hot Rod in the 50's.

I'm going with the windows because they could have been made and Roth was blowing bigger bubbles by then.

Afterall, this is a bit of fun and not a serious rivet counting exercise.

Re-read my post Andy - i'm saying that AFAIAC you can use a belt driven pump. Just remember it would have been a vee belt.

In the 60s Hotwheels did a wonderful sectioned custom of this. I had one.