Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run CBP 2012

slantasaurus

Its all in good fun Patrik, no worries. Besides, those old bathtubs are pretty quick in a straight line as well, I really like them. Catching you is going to be like trying to run over a mouse.

I better stop flapping my gums and at least get my beast out of the box.

Sorry guy s that i even toutgh of stirring the suup. Didn t think about that your roads overe there are straiter than our roads in was in 1962. But any how less weight more speed. :)

It's alright, what you said wasn't bad :lol: And my car will handle like a boat (if it was real obviously) so you have an advantage there. :)

And Ron, I did get the head glued lower, it fits much better now. I'm gonna have to use some putty, I screwed it up bad enough when I tried sanding it :(

Edited by SuperStockAndy

When I was planning this Cannonball I figured there would be several Tri-Five Chevys, maybe a few 32 Fords but never did I consider that there would be 2 356 Porsches entered. Nobody has entered any pre-war cars yet, how can we have an American Graffiti Cannonball without any Street Rods ? Keep surprising me guys, we have an interesting group of cars and builders.

You guys with the little agile 356's and such, just remember the motto of the American Auto Industry back when this is supposed to be taking place... 'There's no Replacement for Displacement!' B):P And... The Rule of Big states that, 'When involved in manuvering for position and vieing for 'asphalt real estate', he with the most tonnage wins... Can you say, "Porche Pancake"?!? "Was that a speedbump?" "No, it was an Speedster..." *Spoken firmly tongue-in-cheek*

That being said, (As I stand by for a friendly barrage of slings and arrows from my buddys across the pond and North of the border...) I officially throw my hat into this ring with a 1956 Ford Sedan Delivery. I'll use the AMT Victoria kit with a Jimmy Flintstone resin body. There'll be plenty of room in the back for a couple of spare tires, tool boxes, jacks, a box or two of C-rations to eat on the road, oil and a spare fuel can or two and a bedroll and pillow for the offduty crewman to recharge his batteries. Power will be supplied by a 400hp Lincoln 430 Tri-power with a 4-speed crunchbox. Wheels will be simple, plain steelies. Undecided on paint right now...

*EDIT*- Here we are! Well, the basic components anyway, so we can make my entry official

2yjrcrb.jpg

Edited by Wagoneer81

Good to see someone agrees with my assessment that a high performance longroof is the way to go on this one, for the same reasons I had! Looks to me like it's gonna be a Hemi-Fury Suburban/Lincoln-56 Ford S-D 1-2 finish this year! Is that how it looks to you, Chris?

Looks that way to me too, Jim... I'd have no issues, what so ever with you following me and my '56 across the finish line... ;):D

Light powerful cars:

- Accelerate faster over a heavier car with the same power

- Need less distance to stop with same brake system

- Better gas mileage with same engine over a heavier car

- Easier to handle and more nimble in handling.

- Less mass, more speed crossing Allegheny/Appalachian Mtns., vast Rocky Mountains, Sierra Mtns.

Heavy powerful cars:

- Comfy.

:lol::D:lol:

Light powerful cars: - Accelerate faster over a heavier car with the same power - Need less distance to stop with same brake system - Better gas mileage with same engine over a heavier car - Easier to handle and more nimble in handling. - Less mass, more speed crossing Allegheny/Appalachian Mtns., vast Rocky Mountains, Sierra Mtns. Heavy powerful cars: - Comfy. :lol::D:lol:

But larger cars don't have the same size brakes or engines as small cars.......they're larger too. Do you really think a 1500 Porsche is gonna out accellerate a 413 cubic inch Max Wedge ?? The Dodge might weigh 1000# more than the Porsche but it also has more than double the horsepower.

The, and I mean THE dominant US road racer in 1962 was the C1 Corvette with a 327. Kind of middle of the road between small car Porsche and bigger cars of the era. I am not sure on specs as far as weight goes, but I'll look it up.

As far as power to weight for engines, the Buick 215 was tops. Just jam that into a go kart.

And, no, I don't think the Porsche could out accelerate a 413 Wedge packed into a mid size car.

Late night edit...

So, the Gulf Oil C1 Corvette - couldn't find weight for the actual car, but a 1962 Corvette curb weight was about 3100 lbs. I imagine the Gulf car was lighter, but how much? Anyhow, the 327 put out over 400 hp.

Porsche 356B - 1600cc, 115 hp (sound about right?), curb weight about 2000 lbs (between 1700 and 2300).

Dodge Dart 440 - curb weight, 3200, 413 max wedge 420 hp (hp numbers vary and I don't know if the high compression 420 number was viable in 62)

Just throwing out some numbers...

Edited by Erik Smith

Looks that way to me too, Jim... I'd have no issues, what so ever with you following me and my '56 across the finish line... ;):D

Yeah, Chris, but to finish ahead of my Mighty Mopar, first you have to CATCH it... and we both know that ain't likely! :lol:

Edited by CorvairJim

EDIT-Nevermind, I have a looooooot of detailing ahead of me.

Take your time Andy. This is a CBP but remember this is also a race. Which means there will be a public vote off in Dec. I have been building with some of these guys for a few years, and they are very good at what they do. Only your best work is gonna set you apart on race day. I'm looking forward to seeing your stuff.

"not building to win"? pish and tosh my good man. We should all be building to win the race from sea to shining sea else it's just a cruise to the beach. You're talking like this was some sort of model car competition... ;)

Back to Minilites - every pic of a 1960 Cooper Climax that came up when I googled had those same wheels so that is good enough proof for me.

Having done long drives in both big & small cars i'd rather lope along in a big softer sprung car rather than whizz along in a twitchy buzz box.with harder suspension. Having said that, this is a race and I can put up with some discomfort (vibration & jolting & constant steering correction) for the duration.

How long do we think it would have taken on 1962 roads?

I'm picturing 1962 route 66 as something similar to the current day pretty route between Melbourne & Adelaide. 2 lane black top passing through towns (mostly small - some larger) with a surface of varying quality and state of repair and a mixture of long straights and twisty sections where it passes through ranges of hills.

:lol: Well, I mean it's always good to win, but the number one rule is to have fun ;)

I decided on the fuel system. I'm using a belt driven pump like this:

17140_large.jpg

...Which means I'll have to rework the belt system. It will look more old school than the one I pictured, of course. :)

Anybody notice that the Revell '55 Chevy has no alternator or fan? :blink:

Ugh, I forgot that it had a magneto instead of a distributor. What about power for everything else, like the lights? Would I need a generator?

Edited by SuperStockAndy