Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run CBP 2012

slantasaurus

Back to wheels. Don't just look at drag racing & hot rods & customs.

This is a 1960 Cooper Climax GP car

std_1960_cooper-climax__mk-iv.jpg

Those look suspiciously like Minilite wheels to me.

Or these on a 1960 Scarab

1960-scarab-grand-prix.jpg

Mike - are you sure you are in the right thread? That looks like it could be in the Batcave...

Nick - that is probably the last vehicle i'd expect to see in the Cannonball Run. And so is an inspired choice!

All looking good guys. I've done nothing yet (no change there then) except think about if I can justify ram air induction in 1962...

Picture time! :D

Here's the chassis, gotta paint the exhausts (I'm also going to make exhaust cutouts), and do some weathering:

100_1476.jpg

Gah! This is the worst fitting supercharger I've ever seen.

100_1478.jpg

Don't worry, I'm going to clean things up a bit so it doesn't look so bad :lol:

Edited by SuperStockAndy

Jon, if you can fit it in between now and, oh... November 30th, then I'd say you're good to go.

Nice progress Andy. Looks like your fit issue is nothing a little sandpaper couldn't solve.

Zen, as things were coming together and its shape was becoming realized, "Batmobile" had crossed my mind a time or two also. Honestly it looks like a couple wrap-around wind screens would seal the deal. So I guess it's up to the paint department to make the disassociation from the caped crusader.

A Speedster is gonna be a nice addition to the pack. With all the big iron rolling down the road for this race your gonna feel awfully small...better wear a good helmet :)

Im getting closer to starting my Fairlane....I looked at the box yesterday :P

I was all ready to start on it then I got a g/c to the Hobby shop for my birthday. Paid a visit and got sidetracked by a Meyers Manx. Soon.

Is there still time for me to throw a 50s Porsche Speedster in?

Sure, once you post pics I'll add you to the list.

Thanks, only problem is though, I've already sanded almost the whole manifold down! :blink:

Andy, looking at your engine pic it looks like the cylinder head for the drives side could have been glued a little lower.....that would help the blower and manifold fit better. Its always a good idea to test fit the intake and both heads before glueing, then you can adjust the location of the heads to get the best fit. Why don't you see if you can get that head loose and reglue it, I'll bet the intake fits better then.

Some pics of the AMT 49. I got the rolled pans to fit and mostly smoothed in. There's gonna be a little filler but not much. The custom hood was really bad and need a lot of work to get it to fit decently. I smoothed the side spear because I'm going to use the flame decals from the Revell 49 Merc. Color will be either flat black or Testors Lightning White. I'm leaning towards the white. I figure it'll look great with the flames. Wheels will be be black steelies with beauty rings and the engine will be a Ford 390 w/tri-power.

2012-02-18200914.jpg

2012-02-18195032.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

The project I have committed for delivery by the middle of next month (converting a '78 Trans Am into a '77 Firebird Esprit) is nearly done, and then I have one more that's nearly completed that I promised I'd show to a guy who was a lot of help to me in sourcing decals and wants to see the finished model (a 1966 Corvair P-40 "Flying Tigers" fighter tribute roadster), then I'll be able to get back to my Plymouth wagon (the eventual winner of this thing! :):lol::D:P)

A Speedster is gonna be a nice addition to the pack. With all the big iron rolling down the road for this race your gonna feel awfully small...better wear a good helmet :)

Size dosen t matther. You guy s in your big irons will have a hard time cornering and thats when we wiht our small an nimbel roadster will make you eat our dust :D

Size dosen t matther. You guy s in your big irons will have a hard time cornering and thats when we wiht our small an nimbel roadster will make you eat our dust :D

But remember, this is America not Europe. 1962 there were few interstates yet, but even Route 66 had long streches of stright road.