Model Cars Magazine Forum

Models at Toys r Us

While i was at TRU yesterday i noticed they had the Revell Star Wars snap tite kits in that section. I asked someone if they had any other models around but they said no. Not really sure if he knew what i meant though.

Has anyone else seen this yet? I know it's only star wars but maybe TRU is going to sell other vehicles also.

VR Earle

Around here, Toys R Us had AMT car kits around Christmastime about five years ago. The selection was pretty basic; mostly reissues of Sixties annuals like the '66 Galaxie and Mustang, '69 Torino fastback, and '64 Impala, with a couple of newer ones like the stock '57 Chrysler thrown in. They were priced at around $10 each which wasn't great at the time, but not outrageously high either. These were not on the shelves but were in the center of the wide aisles, so it was apparent that they weren't coming back on any kind of permanent basis. TRU got out of model kits around 2003 if my memory is correct. They seemed to have an abundance of the new-tool AMT '57 Chevy kits, in all versions. They blew those out for $3.33 each. I bought all of the Pro Shop version that I could find, sold all but a couple, which more than paid for the ones I did keep.

• 3 weeks later...

I did the same thing! I think I snagged about a dozen of those Pro Shop 57's.

Around here, Toys R Us had AMT car kits around Christmastime about five years ago. The selection was pretty basic; mostly reissues of Sixties annuals like the '66 Galaxie and Mustang, '69 Torino fastback, and '64 Impala, with a couple of newer ones like the stock '57 Chrysler thrown in. They were priced at around $10 each which wasn't great at the time, but not outrageously high either. These were not on the shelves but were in the center of the wide aisles, so it was apparent that they weren't coming back on any kind of permanent basis. TRU got out of model kits around 2003 if my memory is correct. They seemed to have an abundance of the new-tool AMT '57 Chevy kits, in all versions. They blew those out for $3.33 each. I bought all of the Pro Shop version that I could find, sold all but a couple, which more than paid for the ones I did keep.

I can attest, since I work for TRU, that we have gotten out of selling models for the most part. I started back in 2005 and my store (Kansas City) only had about 3-4 models that were clearanced. The Star Wars models that you see are for our features shop due to the new 3D release of the Star Wars movies. They won't be around much past the movie at the cinema. Not sure if the website still carries anything (I'm sure they do), but you're better off going to your local HS or other online venue as we are pretty pricey. As we should be because we are a novelty store and not a "big box" like others. I'm actually surprised we still sell model rockets to be honest. (although that selection is dwindling too).

• 2 months later...

No kit sightings at the local TRUs here lately.I do recall those blowout prices on the new tool Chevy kit.I also picked up several of the triple pack kits for $9.99.Some of those even had models molded in colors unavailable in the regular runs.

Guest Johnny

Our Toys R Us is now a Best Buy. That happened a few years ago when they cut back on the number of stores.

This year TRU put a small temorary store in the Mall with the idea it could possibly stay all year round if business was good enough.

Seems they stocked all the wrong stuff, sales was bad and they closed just after Christmas.

When I was a teenager, I used to be able to get model kits at Wal-Mart, Target, Toys 'R Us, and any other store that carried "toys". When I recently got back into the hobby, I found out that none of those places carry model cars anymore. When I questioned this at a Target store, I was told that they stopped carrying model cars because teenagers were buying the paints and model glue to huff, and to prevent that from happening, the stores stopped carrying the kits.

Another example of the actions of a few ruining the overall lives of the majority. :(