Model Cars Magazine Forum

California Charger F.E.D. update

yea Jerry I wondered about the brake line I really can't see where it is on any of the pics, I did see the filler that was added to the top of the housing, as far as the tab on the rear, the seat is supposed to sit on it on the front edge, according to the kit, so i left it for that, did moving the rear end back make a big differance in performance? thanks Jerry

Bill--when we were putting the wings on, I wanted to lengthen the wb some--had Ramsey set in the car, I wedged a 4x6 piece of wood between his parts and the diff cover---so----5 inches it was moved---performance??? we held the NHRA National record and the record at OCIR ( Orange County) at 6.61 et and before the night was over with the visable side wings and the invisable longer wb(really the distance the engine was from rear axle) we lowered the record to 6.41---fastest time ever at that time----within a couple weeks almost everybody was putting side wings on or going to rear engine----

Bill--when we were putting the wings on, I wanted to lengthen the wb some--had Ramsey set in the car, I wedged a 4x6 piece of wood between his parts and the diff cover---so----5 inches it was moved---performance??? we held the NHRA National record and the record at OCIR ( Orange County) at 6.61 et and before the night was over with the visable side wings and the invisable longer wb(really the distance the engine was from rear axle) we lowered the record to 6.41---fastest time ever at that time----within a couple weeks almost everybody was putting side wings on or going to rear engine----

thats awesome, which do you think helped the most? adding the wing's or moving the rear end? did every one pick up a little with just adding wings?

well the wings lifted the side air up toward where the zoomie headers blew it on up and back over the tire--much more aero as now pretty much all the air infront of the tire was lifted/blown over it instead of just the top part---the wings also added a great deal of downforce/traction so we could be a little more aggressive with the clutch for midtrack---

the added distance engine/rear axle I believe took weight off the rear tires which allowed a little more growth as our speeds went up a lot--also the front end stayed on the ground for better control

course about that time every body went toward rear engine cars but as a side note-the snake came back to a front engine car from his streamlined rear engine one -------

yea John, it is very cool havin Mr. Clayton to help out on this build, I wish I would have had this info from the start, I would have done a few things differently,, when I started this project, I thought it would be a great car to try all things I have allways wanted to do to a model, I never expected it to turn out as well as it has, I did not set out from the beginning to make an exact replica, but now that it has come along this good I am going to try and make it as close as I am able, thanks so much for the compliment!

thanks Mike! I have been workin on it, I gave up on the aluminum body, I am running out of time tryin to get it done for the heartland nats in June, I did attemp to do more body panels in aluminum but there are so many tight curves on this body I am just not havin any good results, I am going to use the top hood panels I made, I have been thinning the rest of the kit body down, just didnt want to bore everyone with a bunch of pics of me makin alot of white dust lol, it is still going to be too thick for the scale but its much better, the body fit horribly! its just takin some time to try and get it fitting and looking right, I finally sprayed some primer on it, so I will throw some pics up soon if any one wants to see them, thanks for keeping interest and being patient!

Nick, its a good thing it doesn't run, I would never get any work done, I would just fire it up and sniff the nitro fumes with a stupid grin on my face as I cracked the throttle! :wub:

I just can't get enough of this sweet build. I'll be along for as long as it takes. You're making great progress Bill and I appreciate it you taking the time and effort to share this with us. Having Jerry along is an added benefit.

not much of an update, finally got some base coat sprayed on the body, see if I can get some decals laid down on it and then throw some clear on it, Jerry said the front engine car had the panels painted inside the same color as the outside, so thats what I am doinIMG_0719-vi.jpgIMG_0718-vi.jpg

.....ummm......err........there is nothing that can be said about this build that has not been said 100 times before.....speechless? blown away? If these pics were just floating around cyber space without ANY text or description....I would swear that I was looking at the real thing!!!

You call yourself a "redneck", you sir....are the BIG KAHUNA of REDNECKS!!!!

Thank you for sharing this freakin' gorgeous build!!!!

thank you Dave for checkin in on it, really appreciate your opinion being one who has mastered the art of model building! you are way tooooo kind man!

hey Alyn, nothin incredibe goin on here, so many more people better at this stuff than I will ever be! including you buddy!! I appreciate it any way, the incredible thing is my wife winning her class in her first show that was not a beginners class!! she was shocked, and extremely excited! it was a great show and we had a great time!

hey Curt, really appreciate the kind words, yea and when it comes to my machine work, yep its definately redneck, lol still have alot to learn!!

hi Jerry, nothing would be more cool than to have YOU being photographed with my Cal.Charger! its not too far from you really, the show is June 10th at the Overland Park Convention Center, in Overland Park Kansas, would love nothing more than to meet you in person and shake your hand! the original driver from the Hawaiian charger will be there as well, hopefully he will bring the F/C and have it on dispay! hopefully you can make it over! let me know if you are considering it, WOW!!!

I have been decaling all weekend, I will throw some pics up tonite when I get home, thanks again fella's!