Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is the AMT 1970 1/2 Camaro any good?

'08SEAL

Oh, also take a good look at the roof. Two I've worked on now have some very subtle depressions in the roof that might not show up until you have your paint on and are polishing out. I was able to polish these completely out of the one I'm working on polishing the plastic, but it took some careful effort.

Oh, also take a good look at the roof. Two I've worked on now have some very subtle depressions in the roof that might not show up until you have your paint on and are polishing out. I was able to polish these completely out of the one I'm working on polishing the plastic, but it took some careful effort.

Thanks for the heads up Snake, I'll make sure I check that out later, tonights plan is to clean up the parts.

• 2 months later...

About the 'wrong' kit (6869): the pictures on the side of the box fuelled my interest, but I have yet to see any really good images of that.

It looks like the kit has parts for a street machine version ((?).

Can anybody tell if that's correct and what parts one gets to build this version?

Any info would be really appreciated.

MG

About the 'wrong' kit (6869): the pictures on the side of the box fuelled my interest, but I have yet to see any really good images of that.

It looks like the kit has parts for a street machine version ((?).

Can anybody tell if that's correct and what parts one gets to build this version?

Any info would be really appreciated.

MG

The kit can be build with a Tunnel Ram Intake, which makes the hood with cut out mandatory, the kit also includes "turbo muffler" tailpipes, custom steering wheel, wire wheels and go faster graphics on the decal sheet as extra's.

According to the instruction sheet, the stock engine can be build either as a 350, or a 396

It doesn't have side pipes, nor does it have the option to build it with a '70s rake.

IMHO it's a pretty lame kit, and the 2000ish newly designed tool, rendered it obsolete.

Edited by Luc Janssens

The kit can be build with a Tunnel Ram Intake, which makes the hood with cut out mandatory, the kit also includes "turbo muffler" tailpipes, custom steering wheel, wire wheels and go faster graphics on the decal sheet as extra's.

According to the instruction sheet, the stock engine can be build either as a 350, or a 396

It doesn't have side pipes, nor does it have the option to build it with a '70s rake.

IMHO it's a pretty lame kit, and the 2000ish newly designed tool, rendered it obsolete.

ok, thanks!

Was just rereading the old posts in this thread.

That "avoid at all costs" kit? It's far from perfect (neither is the newer one), but I've owned many, many FAR worse kits. And for years, this was all we had to work with.

70Camaro2.jpg

If you have the skills (like you) you can turn any mediocre kit into a nice display model!

And while you build looks great, it also shows the design flaws in the marquee.

IMHO the biggest problem is the shape of the headlight "buckets." And the newer kit isn't a whole lot better in this area, sadly.

I'd totally agree with that Snake, the headlight buckets on my newer issue were terrible, as is the chassis/firewall issue. I did build that older mold anout 15 years ago and it built up pretty well, but you can see the front is miles off.

Ive got a 1970 original untouched annual in the pile to do someday, the one with the vinyl roof and single front bumper, Ive seen your version of that one before on here.

Ive got a 1970 original untouched annual in the pile to do someday, the one with the vinyl roof and single front bumper, Ive seen your version of that one before on here.

Not sure what you mean by "my version of that one." I have an eBay glue bomb of that kit that I've gotten no further than paint-stripping on. I might have posted a "before" pic of it (maybe in the Survivors or Glue Bombs threads), but if you're thinking of a nice finished model, it was somebody else's.

I AM looking forward to getting back on that one, hopefully soon. Gonna do it in Classic Copper with black vinyl top. The role of Classic Copper will be played by Model Master Kiln Red Metallic shot over a bright yellow primer. If that's still too red, I'll mix in some Turn Signal Amber. And when I get a color acceptably close, I'll shoot a '71 GTO (conversion from a '72 glue bomb) the same color.

I also ordered a couple of those AMT '70 Camaro full bumper/grille pieces from Modelhaus. If/when they come, I'm gonna try to convert one of the newer kits to a non-RS.

Not sure what you mean by "my version of that one." I have an eBay glue bomb of that kit that I've gotten no further than paint-stripping on. I might have posted a "before" pic of it (maybe in the Survivors or Glue Bombs threads), but if you're thinking of a nice finished model, it was somebody else's.

I AM looking forward to getting back on that one, hopefully soon. Gonna do it in Classic Copper with black vinyl top. The role of Classic Copper will be played by Model Master Kiln Red Metallic shot over a bright yellow primer. If that's still too red, I'll mix in some Turn Signal Amber. And when I get a color acceptably close, I'll shoot a '71 GTO (conversion from a '72 glue bomb) the same color.

I also ordered a couple of those AMT '70 Camaro full bumper/grille pieces from Modelhaus. If/when they come, I'm gonna try to convert one of the newer kits to a non-RS.

Snake you probably did put up a "before" pic of the 70 Camaro, IIRC a green one ?.

I like the sound of your plans, it will look great in copper.

amt635-lg.jpg

I just picked this up a couple weeks ago...Happy to know it's the "good" one!

Will most likely be my next project.

I just picked one of these exact kits up at Hobby Lobby last night on the clearance rack for $7.99 it had a post it note on it under the cellophane, that said missing engine and various parts... (they had resealed it in cellophane)

When I got home and opened it,  low and behold it was complete, all parts still in bags nothing missing.

Makes me think an employee is teeing up good kits for clearance for a buddy or something...

your work looks great. hard to believe this is the ERTL re-do of the 1977 issue

Was just rereading the old posts in this thread.

That "avoid at all costs" kit? It's far from perfect (neither is the newer one), but I've owned many, many FAR worse kits. And for years, this was all we had to work with.

70Camaro2.jpg

• 2 years later...