Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mack Bulldog out of paper...

http://www.kartonwork.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6302&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I am speechles. Don't let the word "paper" fool you, what this guy does with that medium is incredible. And except for axles that are made out of wire, he doesn't use anything else than paper...

Yes it is in polsh, but pictures always say more than 1000 words.

So long.

• 3 years later...

The workmanship is incredible!  It takes more patience than I have to assemble the chain from individual multi-piece links (and all of this in 1:25 scale)!  I read the posts (I read Polish) and his techniques are simple, yet very effective.   What strikes me is how much further he is taking a basic paper model, making it into a very detailed scale model. 

To me a paper model is just bunch of parts printed in their final color on sheets of paper. They are cut out, folded, glued, and assembled, without painting.  But he uses the original paper model kit more or less as a guide. He then shapes the laminated paper or cardboard parts by soaking the paper with lacquer, then when it hardens, sanding it to shape.  He repeats this process multiple times to achieve the 3-dimensional pieces with curved edges.  The combination of lacquer and sanding also takes care of the typical paper fuzz (after paper is sanded) and makes the parts plastic-like smooth.  To me the way he uses paper he could just as well make most of the parts from sheet styrene (using the original paper model parts as cutting templates). That would be much less time consuming when shaping those parts as he could skip the multiple lacquering/sanding steps.

He also paints all the parts so it is no longer just a paper model. Again, this goes way beyond building a preprinted paper model - this is more like scratchbuilding using the paper model parts as a guide.  This model does have quite a few metal parts in it but those would be pretty much impossible to make from paper.  Very, very impressive, but as I mentioned earlier, if I was going to attempt this type of a model, I would cheat and cut the parts out of styrene.  After all, once the parts are painted, who would know (or really care) that it wasn't paper.

You guys would be amazed at how many different Manufacturers there are doing Paper models

And how many different models each makes!!

Too bad so few are imported though!!!!

I have some but not many myself (sorry, pic's not uploaded to photobucket yet)

And for those interested, in English Builds, check out "Paper Modelers.com"

I am a member (The-EDSEL) there

Also check out Cardmodels forums over at Zealot (Also English)

I am a member there too!!

Both have free models to download {You must make at least 10 posts in the forums first though!!}

as well as links to Free models

Back in the 70s, when I was a kid growing up in Poland, I used to buy a magazine called "Young Modeler". Each issue basically contained a paper model. Some larger models were spread over several issues.  I remember building a helicopter and a large destroyer (ship).  Those models were quite nice and not expensive like plastic kits.