Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom LoneStar Day Cab- Update 9/13

You're like me, Chuck. Plow along on something and then catch a glimpse of OH LOOK! SHINY! [footsteps headed off in the other direction] :D

It's actually worse than that... the whole time I was working on the cab and hood of the LoneStar, I was thinking about the Transtar...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, look! Progress...

66_404028446319485_508013735_n-vi.jpg

I used some K&S aluminum tubing to make some slash cut stacks. I wanted them to be tucked behind the cab instead of out past it, though the pipes did end up a little closer to the back wall of the cab than I'd have liked. Too late to change it now, though! I do have to go back and polish some areas where the superglue fogged the aluminum. There's no muffler- just a straight pipe off the turbo to the T on under the cab.

I also cut off the kit mudflaps and replaced them with ones made from thinner (.020") styrene. I also made new weights and decorated them with some Detail Master truck mates.

Hey, look! Progress...

66_404028446319485_508013735_n-vi.jpg

I used some K&S aluminum tubing to make some slash cut stacks. I wanted them to be tucked behind the cab instead of out past it, though the pipes did end up a little closer to the back wall of the cab than I'd have liked. Too late to change it now, though! I do have to go back and polish some areas where the superglue fogged the aluminum. There's no muffler- just a straight pipe off the turbo to the T on under the cab.

I also cut off the kit mudflaps and replaced them with ones made from thinner (.020") styrene. I also made new weights and decorated them with some Detail Master truck mates.

is it me or is those stacks backwards? or just the pic looks like there pointing the wrong way? :blink:

The 'slash' cuts angle upward from front to back (looking at the truck from the side), so if that's backwards, then, yeah, they're backwards. :lol: Tried them the other way and didn't like the look.

Well, since this is a custom... Why not?! You'll be the first one. Would this prevent a proper exhaust exit in real life?

Ugh... I was afraid of something like that. Oh, well. I'll wing it. She's a brand-new truck, after all. :)

I'm thinking I might use the side skirts after all, just cut down and refinished in semigloss black.

94_404195022969494_405804905_n-vi.jpg

They're both cut down now, and soaking in the chrome stripper at his moment.

On the stacks, the reason they face the slash cuts towards the rear is so that the stack does not act as a "scoop" while driving at highway speeds. Not only would it be forcing air back against the exhaust trying to escape but it will grab a lot of rain which will fill the pipe and cause it to rust out.

• 1 year later...