Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Daytona 500 Winner - Fireball Roberts

jjsipes

After purchasing the dvd of the 1962 Daytona 500 and watching as well as starting to read Smokey Yunick's book, I decided to attempt this car finally. I have been working on the 1962 Plymouth that Richard Petty drove so I thought it only natural to have Fireball Roberts car as well since they were the big players in the 62 500.

1962FireballRoberts-vi.jpg

em34g.jpg

I have taken the trim off the doors per the pictures and primed, sprayed Testors Lacquer Black, Tamiya Gold and Testors Lacquer Clear. I have started a rollcage (no pics yet) but have not gotten far with it.

downsized_0822121233a.jpg

downsized_0822121233.jpg

Edited by jjsipes

This is probably in bad taste but didn't he live up to his name and died in a car fire? If my memory is right that he did it is to bad all the drivers that were lost during the 60's &70's

Fireball died in hospital about a month or so after the crash. He developed pneumonia (complications) from the crash. Pneumonia is a very dredful desease that can

kill you. Not only in fire victims but others too.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, Fireball became his nickname during his baseball playing days before he joined up with NASCAR. His crash was so horrific because following the drubbing Ford took at Daytona, Ford supplied their factory teams with body panels as thin as tinfoil (Including quarters) that would fold if you even looked at them wrong. He backed into the wall and split the car open before ending up on the roof. The fuel TANK ruptured and the rest is history...or nightmare if you are Ned Jarrett. As a side note...Smokey had been lobbying Big Bill for a while about allowing fuel cells- too bad it took such a tragedy for them to allow safety to overrule stubbornness in the following season...

Also, Fireball became his nickname during his baseball playing days before he joined up with NASCAR. His crash was so horrific because following the drubbing Ford took at Daytona, Ford supplied their factory teams with body panels as thin as tinfoil (Including quarters) that would fold if you even looked at them wrong. He backed into the wall and split the car open before ending up on the roof. The fuel TANK ruptured and the rest is history...or nightmare if you are Ned Jarrett. As a side note...Smokey had been lobbying Big Bill for a while about allowing fuel cells- too bad it took such a tragedy for them to allow safety to overrule stubbornness in the following season...

Jay give me a call sometime. I think you have my number but I know you have my email...Good hearing from you...

• 1 year later...

Got a rollcage built, what a pain it was. It's not perfect but will work when assembled. Took a bucket seat out of a 63 Impala and modified the seat pattern to closer match what was in the car and painted it Red. The door panels were modified by taking out the lower portion of the rear panel and replacing it with just a flat piece of plastic. The interior was painted in different shades of Metallic Blue and Black. Rollcage was painted Black.

0429141120a_zpsdcddc104.jpg

0429141120b_zpsef5e5810.jpg

Body has been decaled up using a set of Fred Cady decals, second attempt, couldn't get them to lay down in the door where I removed the trim.

0429141120_zps4c453b07.jpg

Painted up a set of PPP wheels and tires as well.

0429141119a_zps6dd95462.jpg

• 6 years later...