Model Cars Magazine Forum

The seatbelts are done after about 3 hours of working on those tiny little PE parts. I can't mount the shoulder straps until the cage is in as they mount to it. I thought it would be easier to mount then to the cage first. I cut little pieces of the PE sprue, bent them at 90 degrees, and Ca glued them to the floor and cage for mounting points for the belts. Talk about an exercise in patience and coordination, two things I seem to be lacking in my old age! :o I won't mount the cage until I finish up a couple of more parts.

P2030402Medium_zps79188a8f.jpg

One of those parts is the new cover for the transaxle and rear suspension. I made one before this project stalled, but I have no clue how it fit because it sure doesn't now. I made a buck out of .030 sheet styrene and want to try the heat shrink clear bottle trick to make it. Here's the piece in place. It still needs a little shaping to fill in around the part that sticks out in the middle of the back as I doubt the bottle plastic will conform to it very well.

P2030405Medium_zpsf47bf97f.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

The cover didn't come out too bad. I might add a strip of half round to the front and back edges of it to clean it up a bit.

The clear cover by itself.

P2050414Medium_zps2da36fbe.jpg

And in place. After a little polishing, it just about disappears.

P2050413Medium_zpsfa35d86e.jpg

P2050412Medium_zpsd62e7560.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

Plan ahead! This bit of advise has obviously been lost on me during this build. I started plumbing the airline for the bags, what a pain that was for a detail that is almost unnoticeable. I decided to make them look like they run through the frame, the back ones weren't bad, but the front one sucked to do. Bending them into shape with the front suspension arms in place was an exercise in frustration.

The front lines are too hard to get a pic of, here's the back lines.

P2090420Medium_zpsc92e6d37.jpg

I also made an airpump and tank, and got them mounted. I can't plumb these until the interior tub is permanently mounted to the frame.

P2090421Medium_zps61f2430d.jpg

I also made a battery box.

P2090422Medium_zpsb8d7eabf.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

I have never struggled so hard to build a model in my whole life. Poor planning and shelving this build is really kicking my butt!

I'm working on the plumbing and linkages. I've got the trans cooler done, I made a master cylinder and the brakes are almost done, the fuel lines are started and that should just leave the shift linkage. I have a steering box ready, but it can't go on until the interior is mounted to the chassis.

The turbo covers and grille/headlight buckets are painted.

P2160423Medium_zps43b8f610.jpg

She's getting closer to the finish line. Hopefully, with a little luck, my NNL East deadline will be met.

Looking good. Sorry to hear about the problems you are having with it. It a real pain when a model doesn't want to cooperate with you.

Thanks Bob.

The problems are my own fault, I knew sooner or later just winging a build rather than planning it all out would bite me you know where. I think the idea of trying to finish it up in a little over a week has me a bit stressed too.

The interior and chassis are finally one assembly. I thought I had finished all the plumbing, cables and wiring, but I forgot the shifter cable and now that it's all together, I'm not sure I can get it in or if I even want to try. I think I can live without it.

P2180424Medium_zpse6da4fa4.jpg

Now to paint the front suspension and get that buttoned up.

Edited by Psychographic

Austin, how appropriate to have a video with Alice in it. first, I loved the original Alice Cooper band as a kid, it was the band that got me interested in music. Second, with all the grief this build has put me through since I got back on it I decided to name it "Welcome To My Nightmare".

Bob, the front suspension is scratch. It's made from 3/64' evergreen rod, 1/16" tube, the airbags are o-rings wrapped around some 1/8"rod, and the kingpins are 3/64"rod. The spindles are made from 1/16"tube and some scrap .040 sheet. The tie rod is brass rod with brass tubes soldered to the ends. Go back to post 18 on page one of this thread, it shows the construction of the suspension.

From now on I plan to make my suspension pieces from brass, the styrene is too fragile.

Edited by Psychographic

Things are wrapping up quickly, I made a fan belt out of tape and painted it satin black.

P2220426Medium_zps2416fe87.jpg

An electric fan made from a slice of an inner rim, some strips of .010 x.080 and a circle cut from some .030. I made it real quick and not with much detail, the blades are flat but airbrushed to look like they're mounted at an angle. I didn't go crazy on this as it is barely seen behind the grille.

P2220425Medium_zps18e8afc4.jpg

Other things I've managed to finish, the ignition coils, throttle linkages, door panels, steering and brake linkages, radiator and coolant lines, headlights, the grille shell is mounted with new brass mounts, front and rear glass, and the body is out of the booth. I'm very disappointed in the paint, hopefully a quick sand and re-clear will take care of things.

P2230428Medium_zps7a50c9d4.jpg

It looks like the Jeep just might make NNL East this year.

Edited by Psychographic

I'm finally at the end of this journey and I did make it to NNL East this year. To all who followed along and posted words of encouragement, I thank you very much.

I'm going to post some finished pics right now, so go look on the "Finished" forum to see how it came out.