Model Cars Magazine Forum

Installing P.E. Windshield Wipers ... any experience? .. and pics!

I have 3 different PE windshield wipers and none give any installation instructions except one from Detail Master. These make me wonder how they should be bent and installed to lay correctly on the windshield. I have two from Detail Masters and one from Model car Garage.

I'd like to see some good photos of some installed already to see how you did it.

Edited by Foxer

Thanks for those photos, Steve!

I have received all the PE Wipers to choose from but still have some questions and a request for photos of any of them installed, if possible.

Here's photos of the ones I have:

First, the Detail Master DM-2520, the ones Steve pictured above:

DM-2520MultiPieceWipersDSC_1032_zps397fb

DM-2520MultiPieceWipersDSC_1033_zps53609

These are the most detailed and look great, as you can see from Steve's photos. There is a written page describing how to install them. I'm wondering if Steve used a pin to mount to the body.

Next is the Detail Master DM-2003 15" Wiper Blades. These are "cast" with the blade and arm in one piece. I assume the blade needs to be turned 90 degrees on the arm to be in the proper form. There is a describing this. These look like the simplest of the three.

DM-2003WiperBlades15inchDSC_1035_zps07ba

DM-2003WiperBlades15inchDSC_1034_zpsc3a7

Last is The Model Car Garage MCG-2013 Windshield Wipers stock. These have no instructions for installation other than their standard insert concerning P.E. parts.

MCG-2013WindshieldWipersstockDSC_1036_zp

MCG-2013WindshieldWipersstockDSC_1037_zp

I do understand pretty much how these have to be bent for installation, but I'd love to hear from anyone with experiences using these ans any photos. :)

Edited by Foxer

The simplest answer is to the make them like the ones you see on real cars. However, that is way easier said than done. I have and have used many different photoetch wiper sets, including the ones you picture above, because I think that the single least realistic part of almost every plastic car kit is the wipers. With very few exceptions, kit wipers look out of scale and utterly unconvincing without major modifications. That said, I'll try to add some helpful suggestions and illustrations. (I don't know how many pictures the forum will allow per response so I'll probably have to add several entries.)

First off, not to badmouth Detail Master, but I'd get rid of their wiper sets. The second ones simply don't look realistic and the first are so hard to bend you'll end up in a mental hospital trying to get them to work (that goes both for the arms, which are absolutely impossible to bend partly due to the thickness of the metal and partly because of the very slim sides to be bent, and the blades, which are impossible to get to line up correctly after folding). The MCG set is pretty great but suitable only for a select period of motor vehicle; if you only build cars of a certain vintage then you are ready to go.

I have sets from Hobby Design, Crazy Modeler, Good Smile Racing, KA Models, some generic no-name sets, and more. Some are better than others, but all of these actually work reasonably well, that is, they bend easily and you can glue the things together without tearing out all your hair in the process. I highly recommend the Good Smile Racing set A for vintage 1950s and 1960s cars. A couple from Crazy Modeler:

EP0064A.jpg

CM-EP0058a.jpg

In addition to the above there are lots of pe detail sets for specific cars that include wipers. These are usually pretty easy to work with because they are designed for a particular kit (duh!) and so don't require a lot of manipulation to get them to look right on the model.

So, what's my procedure? I select the wipers I want to use, or that come with a detail set, and then use this tool to cut them from the fret frame: Xuron9180et.jpg

You'll need some kind of bending tool, also, to get the things in the right shape. I use Tamiya's short bending pliers, a generic pair of flat bladed pliers, and various kinds of tweezers (for the blades). Bend them till they look right. The fold lines VERY RARELY GO ON THE INSIDE. Most wipers are etched with detail that appears on the same side as the fold lines so that tells you which side is UP. When you like the shape your wipers are in, then it is time to glue the arm to the blade. This will take you approximately 42,650 attempts before you are comfortable with it. A huge pain, it is. I usually use reverse tweezers to hold the arm is such a way that you can set the whole thing down on your workbench while the glue dries. I also frequently use reversed miniature clothespins to hold them (Do you know what these are? I'm not sure I have a picture to illustrate.) You should align the arm and blade so you know exactly how they will go together before you try it with any glue. A tiny bit of CA is the best choice for this; other adhesives are not strong enough or are too visible. So, use whatever method you find best to finish the job. I usually apply a tiny bit of the CA to either the arm or the blade, whichever seems the better choice, and then hold them together briefly before setting them down to completely dry. Tedious and nerve-racking, but necessary for decent looking realistic wipers.

Afterward, you can prime and paint them with your favorite primer and paint. Always with an airbrush if you want them to look in scale and not all goopy with paint.

Another possibly super-helpful tip: It is possible to use the base of the kit wipers in conjunction with photoetch arms. Take the kit wipers and use a sharp cutting tool to lop off everything above the base that attaches to the body. After you've bent your wiper arms, modify the base as needed to fit inside the folded parts and glue with whatever adhesive you prefer. Once this is dry you can test fit it to the model and adjust the bend of the wiper arm to fit snugly against the windshield.

I think that is all I have to add. Feel free to ask questions and whatnot. I'm adding a gallery of photos that illustrate the beauty of photoetch wipers and I hope the images are reasonably clear. i may add some annotation to the pictures because some of the wipers look better than others and I'd like to point out what I find to be particularly successful uses of pe wipers.

Edited by Chillyb1

Steve's right .. that was all I asked for and the photos have pretty much answered what I was looking for.

But, a tutorial like Skip is asking for would be appreciated by many I'm sure. Almost every P.E. set I've seen appears to be done by someone that thinks we are mind readers ... lack of instructions, diagrams or identification of the pieces is standard procedure.

Yes, it's illustrated. But not with step-by-step pictures of the assembly procedure. Pictures of the final product don't really cut it, d'ya think?

Curtis just took thirty minutes out of his time to post pics and provide lots of good, helpful info based on his experience with p/e wipers, and that's not good enough? You need step-by-step pictures or the tutorial won't "cut it"? :rolleyes: I'm sorry, but this has to be the most unappreciative reply I've read in this section in a long time...maybe ever.

On behalf of those who appreciate the pics and info you posted, Curtis and Steve, thank you. It's people like you who go out of their way and give more than they take from this hobby which makes it so enjoyable for so many people. :)

But, a tutorial like Skip is asking for would be appreciated by many I'm sure. Almost every P.E. set I've seen appears to be done by someone that thinks we are mind readers ... lack of instructions, diagrams or identification of the pieces is standard procedure.

Casey,

Mike DeRagon also asked for a tutorial in a civil way-just like Skip. Skip didn't seem to be belligerent about his request-nor did Mike.

It's fine to thank Curtis and Steve for their contribution but Skip is not exactly some hoople that needs a seeing-eye dog.

Skip has been an enormous contributor of research tips to any who ask and many who don't. As well as presenting many news-worthy, model-related items. He has also always demonstrated a fine sense of forum etiquette. If you think he could have phrased that sentence a little better you have the right to say so.

However, I would have been mindful of that before posting such a harsh condemnation.

Here is a pic of the vise I use to bend photo etch, all the hobby suppliers sell them, ebay has several too, different shapes and styles available. Photo etch was a real problem/mystery to me til I got this. The piece I was working on today, ' 57 Chevy rocker panel.The clamp holds it really well, slip a razor blade under it and bend away. I'll be trying the wipers in the next few days and if I can get some decent pics I can post them if it would help anyone ?

100_0187_zps0cc71943.jpg

100_0188_zpsaff15eb9.jpg

That would be great, Randy! Naturally, there are many different types of wiper sets, but they must have some things in common.

Here's an example of a Model Factory Hiro PE Borrani wire wheel tutorial by Andy Smith that made everything clear...

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52976

Edited by sjordan2

search photo etch bender or photo etch bending tool, you'll get lots of choices. I like the vise style because I can lay things out under my 5x lighted magnifier, just can't see like I used too :(

this is the model car garage wipers, cut them loose and cleaned up with a file. Like was previously mentioned they bend nicer with the pre-scribed lines to the OUT side. I think the scribe makes for a little thinner area and it just naturally bends easier there. Pics are so-so, the best I could get

100_0190_zps871ee8ea.jpg

100_0191_zps4f1c17d5.jpg

100_0194_zpsbf18818e.jpg

100_0196_zpse3918e19.jpg

now they're ready to paint, a drop of super glue holds it together, I have also dipped the blade in some tamiya acrylic clear, let it start to get tacky and set it on, won't fog the windshield that way.