Model Cars Magazine Forum

Miss Deal Funny Car - 24 Hour Build

Tom Geiger

IMG_3070-vi.jpg
This was my entry in the 24 hour build last month. I pretty much wrapped it up by 5am (I had until noon) minus some details I knew would take some time. Howard had warned me that the exhaust was an issue, so I didn't even try during the build. I also didn't like the fake foot push bar, so I left that off as well. The blower top had a really bad sink mark, so I figured I could do that later as well. I gave it a nasty gasser look, and again, didn't get to the rust part until later.
IMG_3063-vi.jpg
Front chassis view. I actually started with the sponsor decals on the firewall to hide a couple of holes. Came out well and I like it since that was just a blank panel. The blue wires were used because I had the prewired distributor in my hoard. I did build the kit headers (plate plus 4 individual pipes to glue together on each side) but they didn't fit at all. So I hit the parts box and came up with this pair, which I sanded and bent up a bit to fit. Forget that they were RED and bled through a few times. Not perfect but they're on there!
IMG_3064-vi.jpg
Rear view of chassis, I used some photo etched gauges because I thought it would be quicker than trying to detail what was molded onto the firewall. It wound up being a draw, time wise, but I like it. The kit had no seat belts and I think it would be too much trouble to do it correctly now.
IMG_3066-vi.jpg
I did find a good blower top that actually mated fairly well with the kit bottom piece. I sanded the new assembly to shape and BMFed it since I am out of Alclad.
IMG_3069-vi.jpg
Rear view uses the back bumper from the '53 Ford pickup kit in place of the hokey foot thingie that came in the kit. Much, much better in my book!
IMG_3068-vi.jpg
Right side shows more rust and damage. That's always the fun part for me. Not bad for the speed at which it was built! I did learn a lot on that 24 hr build and I noticed that my building has sped up a bit with the new sense of organization it gave me. And it was fun to build with guys across North America! And for those who haven't figured it out by now, "Miss LED" is just a jumble of the kit "Miss DEAL" decal.
IMG_3061-vi.jpg
I did a little logo for the 24 Hour Build that is on the back of the car! So I'll always remember that day!

You do realize that a funny car body is a one-piece fiberglass replica, not made up of sheetmetal panels like a "real" car body... so there would be no rust.

Of course I know it's a fiberglass body. It's a theme car. Note that the primed fender is just edged with paint. They mold dents into fiberglass and put faux rust on rat rods and such. And that's not real rust, it's chalk!

You do realize that a funny car body is a one-piece fiberglass replica, not made up of sheetmetal panels like a "real" car body... so there would be no rust.

You do realize this is a model with a styrene body... so, again, no rust... :P

Love how this came out, Tom. This one is my favorite of all the models I've seen built from this kit.