Model Cars Magazine Forum

The NEMESIS builds..

Has anybody here ever done a model and it just didn't turn out the way it could, or you know you can do better? Do you vow to get revenge and build another and prove to yourself you can build a certain model much better?

I call these my "nemesis builds."

my first that i need to get revenge on and build right will be a NASCAR Chevy Lumina of Jeff Gordon. My first time i built it, i was a kid and loved the model but did a horrible job - in fact i'm sure the paint is still drying on it, and that was from 1996ish.

i will avenge myself. :)

I call them my "Tear Down Later" I started model building (in a serious nature) about 2 months ago. My first choice was the Revell 2010 Shelby GT500. Needless to say, it was horrible. So, I completed a few models after and now I've torn it apart and plan on rebuilding it for a new life as a Pro Street Drag car.

I hate when my Models don't go as planned.

Mvc001s-vi.jpg

The Revell '57 Nomad kit kicked my tail a number of times as a kid. I don't believe the parts in that box were ever intended to go together to reasonably depict a Nomad. I'd buy the kit, screw it up and put it in my parts box. The next year I'd get drawn in by that beach scene again, and reason I was a year older, only to repeat the same process. I must have done that 3 or more times!

Once I got back to the hobby as an adult I tried again. I have one that's maybe 3/4 built, that I started about 24 years ago. Still sitting in the box! Ah, one of these days!

Oh, the writing on the lower right on the box is Bob Paeth's autograph.

Edited by Tom Geiger

I think EVERYONE in this hobby has more than 1 "nemesis" build.... If they say otherwise... They're liars. Simple. I, like others, have had many over the years including a current German - Made In Italy, Supercar. Everything was turning out perfect on my first kit, paint/parts etc, until it came to polishing time... Then the C-pillar, being as fragile as Humpty Dumpty, decided to break! I tried a dab of superglue & although it held it back together, the crack was noticeable. I can't bring myself to display a model with a defect like that. So after having nearly 5mnths off from the hobby because my best mate passed away, I decided to try again, & went & bought another kit. Same deal... Everything turning out great, paint/parts etc... Then BAM... Yep ... Broke the d**n C-pillar AGAIN!!! I'm determined to get this kit made, hell or high water!! So it's caked in Easy-Off at the moment, awaiting a strip. I'll fix the C-pillar & start all over again!! Frustrating to say the least...

Cliff

Like probably most here I have never built a model I'm satisfied with. I wouldn't call them nemesis models, but some I may rebuild new and some may be works revisited. The more I learn from this forum, I realize the less I know. It is difficult to know when to be happy with your results, and to strive for something better. I do believe we all become better with every build and it is nice to also see where we started and the improvements we've made. Build forward.