Model Cars Magazine Forum

'50 Olds or Pontiac Torpedo bodies

Jimmy Flintstone, MCW and Promolite make fastback 'Torpido' Olds conversion bodies. R&R and Hendrix make '49 Olds fastback kits which I beleive can go with the Revell kit. I have not put my hand yet on any of them to make a judgement. But as far as the master making WIP of Promolite goes (have a look on his Fotki pages), it seems to be the only '50 fastback body with the proper roof line.

As for the Pontiac, Tom Coolidge (Promolite) made several copies of that car several years ago. Maybe he will consider an additional run if there is sufficient demand. An email costs nothing. Contact him and maybe you have luck.

Ronald386, an Ebay seller, used to sell this car for quite some time. It is not included in his list anymore (see below link), but, again, you may contact him and ask.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/ronald6386/m.html?item=390557185612&pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item5aef05b64c&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

• 4 weeks later...

Torpedo? Never heard that term w/ the 50s bodystyles...I thought that was a '40s thing. MCW has a few bodies available for the Olds..incl. a fastback.

I know it's a strange deal, Chevy called them a Fleetline, Olds, & Pontiac called'em a Torpedo, & Cadillac called them Sedanettes, the guys at GM had some strange ideas, but no commonality.

hello,,first time on here,,the fast back body styles are all close to the same,minor changes between Buick,Olds,Pontiac,,,,,BUT,,,the trim changes from year to year,,and the grilles are different from year to year,,,,,I own 1946 Pontiac Torpedo back street rod,,,very rare,,first year after the war,,wish someone would do grille options for the Galaxy kit,,I have a couple to do,,so those Chevies would be Pontiacs,,,,,,thanks for your time,,,,,,Doug

hello,,first time on here,,the fast back body styles are all close to the same,minor changes between Buick,Olds,Pontiac,,,,,BUT,,,the trim changes from year to year,,and the grilles are different from year to year,,,,,I own 1946 Pontiac Torpedo back street rod,,,very rare,,first year after the war,,wish someone would do grille options for the Galaxy kit,,I have a couple to do,,so those Chevies would be Pontiacs,,,,,,thanks for your time,,,,,,Doug

Actually those bodies were done in two series:

Chevrolet, Pontiac and Oldsmobile all used the A-body series for their "fastback" ( I believe the Olds was termed a "Torpedo", Chevrolet called their's the Aerosedan 1942-48, Fleetline from 1949-52, Pontiac called their version the Streamline).. Buick's Roadmaster and Cadillac's Series 62 used the GM B-body (a longer body, completely different shape than the A-bodies) and were called "Sedanette".

Ostensibly, while Detroit had played with the fastback style off and on during the 1930's (Cadillac displayed a V16 fastback bodied car at the 1933 Chicago "Century Of Progress" World's Fair), I've read where it was Australia's Holden (Holden was a body company up until WW-II, building unique to Australia bodies for just about every automaker exporting cars down under), who sort of pioneered the so-called "sloper" body style, for not only GM cars, but also for Ford and Chrysler. While Ford and Chrysler never got on the fastback bandwagon in the US, GM did, introducing fastback body styles across the board for teh 1942 model year. Those cars were resumed after the war ended, carrying the style forward until the early 50's, when slippery-looking streamlined styling fell from favor.

Art

• 2 weeks later...