Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kurtis Sports Car (Update 1/27/17)

RancheroSteve

• 1 month later...

Update: After some time off to concentrate on the 289 HiPo, I'm getting back to this one.

I've opened up the hood, cut out the radiator opening, removed the windshield, fixed the cowl and interior opening, made some new headlight buckets from brass tubing, and started building up the trunk area.

KurtisRF11_15-vi.jpg

Kurtisrear11_15-vi.jpg

Onward!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Lots of patience required to get a project this involved to come together. I find it helps the process to do other projects during, too. Seems to allow the subconscious to solve problems on its own, and when one comes back to the project, the solutions become obvious.

True, Bill. I thought I was pretty close on the body contours when I put this down, but when I got back to it I noticed that the corners were way too rounded. Closer now, I think. I'm looking at this as a long-term project - more ambitious than most of what I've done before - but something that will be cool and unusual when it's done.

• 1 month later...

I'm still at it! It may not look like too much, but I've been putting in a fair amount of time on this - still fiddling with the body, and I've begun to fabricate the chassis.

760 Kurtis LF

The Kurtis was unibody car that used '49 Ford suspension components, so I used a Revell '49 Merc as a basis, as I needed a period correct car with a separate frame and detailed suspension.

759 Kurtis under

As you can see, I've also added the side trim and part of the bumpers in brass, which I've attached to the body. Next I'll tackle the bumpers guards (center sections of the bumpers), which will be separate pieces. Then on to the windshield frame  . . .

757 Kurtis LF hood off

Edited by RancheroSteve

Very interesting project! It is really looking like the Kurtis at this point. Congratulations on the great progress from that funky lump with the AMT '51 Chevy windshield frame sticking out of it.

I'm interested in your use of brass to define the hard edges of the grill opening and the wheel openings and to keep them chipping, I assume. It also looks like you're using it along the lower edge of the body as well, correct? What are you using to attach it to the resin? What body filler are you using?

Very interesting project! It is really looking like the Kurtis at this point. Congratulations on the great progress from that funky lump with the AMT '51 Chevy windshield frame sticking out of it.

I'm interested in your use of brass to define the hard edges of the grill opening and the wheel openings and to keep them chipping, I assume. It also looks like you're using it along the lower edge of the body as well, correct? What are you using to attach it to the resin? What body filler are you using?

Thanks, John. Yes, I've used brass along the lower edge of the body, the front wheel openings, the grille and of course the side trim and bumpers. I've found that brass is great for holding a shape or an edge (once you get it close to where it belongs) without fear of grinding it away too easily and having to build it up again. I've been using the green label Zap-a-Gap to adhere it and it seems to hold well, and my preferred putty these days is the gray Tamiya.

• 2 months later...

Some more progress - the front and rear bumpers are taking shape:

934 Kurtis front

935 Kurtis rear

And I finally figured out a way to make the DuVall windshield. I made a paper template, then a plastic template. Once I get the fit a little more refined, I'll photo-etch a brass frame and add some kind of channel for the glass.

190 Kurtis windsheild

• 1 month later...

Slowly but surely, a little more progress - it's taken me a while to figure out how to approach making the windshield frame. With nothing commercially available that was suitable, I decided it would have to be scratchbuilt. I drew a frame on paper and fit it to the body, then scanned that template and refined it in Photoshop. After some more trail and error, I got this:

644 Kurtis windsheild

645 Kurtis windsheild

I think I have it about where it needs to be. Next step is to photo-etch this in brass and add some channel for the glass. Thanks for looking.

• 2 months later...

Some small big significant progress: I photo etched my windshield design; made two pieces and soldered them together for more thickness, added some brass rod for the convertible top pins and some small angle at the outside edges.

604 Kurtis windshield brass

608 Kurtis windshield brass

There's still a little refining to do, but it's close. On to the interior next.