Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some new uses for the Purple Cleaner

So I got thinking a while back on what else the Purple Cleaner would do.

Here's what I've put it through.

1. I poured it in a clogged drain.. Awesome results.

2. I used it to clean the Algae out of my backyard pond. Worked better than anything else.

3. Cleaned the rims on my wife's Jeep. This was amazing!

Other than an occasional car wash, these rims haven't been cleaned in 7 years. I put the cleaner in a spray bottle and used a common scrub brush then rinsed them off with a hose.

Here are some before and after photos.

After 7 years of road grime.

P1050925_zpse5797c4a.jpg

P1050929_zps3245713c.jpg

P1050928_zpsf5569db4.jpg

A small trial use turned out ok.

P1050926_zps1bc438ae.jpg

Here's the end result. Not perfect but real close.

P1050927_zpsf127982a.jpg

Dale:

This stuff is known commercially as "Super Clean", and is marketed primarily as an auto parts cleaner.

Yes, it will remove the chrome plating from model car parts, as well as being a dandy paint stripper for models.

It's kinda expensive, though. Last I checked, a gallon was going for around $10 at my local car parts store.

If all you want to do is strip chrome, regular household ammonia cleaner will work just fine. Last time I checked, it was selling at the local supermarket for about $1.34/quart. Obviously, any leftovers will be handy in doing other cleaning chores around the house.post-10758-0-03604300-1376448993_thumb.j

Dale:

This stuff is known commercially as "Super Clean", and is marketed primarily as an auto parts cleaner.

Yes, it will remove the chrome plating from model car parts, as well as being a dandy paint stripper for models.

It's kinda expensive, though. Last I checked, a gallon was going for around $10 at my local car parts store.

If all you want to do is strip chrome, regular household ammonia cleaner will work just fine. Last time I checked, it was selling at the local supermarket for about $1.34/quart. Obviously, any leftovers will be handy in doing other cleaning chores around the house.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Or you can buy Purple Power for about $5 for a Gallon jug, I get mine at wally world, its in the automotive section, right next to the Super Clean

Hmmm. My Tracker wheels are dirty and clear coated, which is peeling off in places. Maybe I can get them down to uncoated and clean?

My wheels may have a clear coat, but I dont think so, I am sure that after close to 300,000 miles, it would be peeling off by now :lol: , I am pretty sure that it would remove the clear coat on your wheels, give it a shot I guess :D

Edited by martinfan5

The purple stuff has plenty of intended uses. We have adapted it for our purpose. I use this stuff all the time for detialing my 1:1 cars. I have a few different sprayers with different dilutions for various things. Strong dilution (1:1) works great for removing the old protectant and blooming (browning) on tires, as well as brightening white walls or rwl's. For wheels and general degreasing I use it at 5:1 for cleaning under hood and wheel wells and door jams. A good spray, a few minutes of dwell time agitate with brush and rinse. I always make sure to rinse afterwards. Not sure what the long term effects would be even with it being diluted. I always use gloves when handling this stuff. I looks like it did a nice job on those beat up wheels, but if I had something nice that were clear coated or bare polished aluminum I would stick to a dedicated cleaner for that purpose.