Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

jb... From the article you cited...

Core samples, tide gauge readings, and, most recently, satellite measurements tell us that over the past century, the Global Mean Sea Level (GMSL) has risen by 4 to 8 inches (10 to 20 centimeters). However, the annual rate of rise over the past 20 years has been 0.13 inches (3.2 millimeters) a year, roughly twice the average speed of the preceding 80 years.

Over the past century, the burning of fossil fuels and other human and natural activities has released enormous amounts of heat-trapping gases into the atmosphere.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previous to the "past century" there was a lot more burning of fossil fuels going on than there is now. Coal powered every factory, the smoke was so thick in cities that you couldn't see across the street some times. Today the air in most places on Earth is way cleaner than it was 150-200 years ago. Cars put out way less pollution than they used to. Factories are way cleaner than they used to be. So why do the "experts" say that heat-trapping gasses are increasing faster than in the past? Wouldn't they be decreasing as more and more laws are passed to keep the air clean and more and more clean plants and and factories and cars replace the old polluters of the past?

But for the sake of argument let's say that the warming happening now is due to man and burning of fossil fuels. Let's say you are 100% correct.

Ok, so now what?

The US has the most stringent laws on the planet regarding air pollution. We are doing our part.

But what do you do about the biggest polluters on the planet... China and India, and the dozens of other countries that have very few or NO laws regarding emissions whatsoever. No matter how well we in the US "clean up our act," it has no effect on the emissions being spewed by the rest of the world. All the rules and regulations the EPA throws at us has zero effect on the rest of the world.

How do you address that problem? International treaties? Ha! Good luck enforcing them.

How do all the good intentions and well-meaning regulations our companies have to abide by make a bit of difference to China and India, who combined have almost ten times the population we have?

Anybdy ever hear of the Industrial Revoution in the mid-19th century?  Forget anything that went before regarding man's influence on the environment. It's 99% happened since then. 

Like I said, even if man-caused global warming is 100% true and happening, the real problem isn't us... it's all the other countries that couldn't care less about it! Countries with far more people than we have, and spewing far more greenhouse gasses than we do.

On a global scale, the share of the problem that we are causing is relatively small. What do we do about the rest of the world?

It's a tough question with no easy answer. Maybe no answer, period.

What "irked" me today was the price on a 1/2 oz. bottle of Testors Enamel paint at $3.99. With my 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby it still cost me $2.57 "out the door." WOW! The price of poker has gone up.

Want to get really irked? Figure out the cost per quart or gallon. Better be sitting down.

The cost of "model paints" is completely off the charts. That's why I use anything but "model paints" whenever possible.

It's the same with Testors thinner/brush cleaner. Five bucks for a little glass bottle. I can get a quart of the stuff at the home center for less.

I hear ya, Nick. I switched over to airbrush to try and save money on paint. Yeah, right......:rolleyes: spread out over auto, military, and maritime subjects, i need to refinance my house just for paint. 

What "irked" me today was the price on a 1/2 oz. bottle of Testors Enamel paint at $3.99. With my 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby it still cost me $2.57 "out the door." WOW! The price of poker has go

Edited by bismarck

What "irked" me today was the price on a 1/2 oz. bottle of Testors Enamel paint at $3.99. With my 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby it still cost me $2.57 "out the door." WOW! The price of poker has gone up.

Want to get really irked? Figure out the cost per quart or gallon. Better be sitting down.

The cost of "model paints" is completely off the charts. That's why I use anything but "model paints" whenever possible.

It's the same with Testors thinner/brush cleaner. Five bucks for a little glass bottle. I can get a quart of the stuff at the home center for less.

$1021.44 gal. And to think the car is so small!...lol Joe

Today it's the blond weather woman.  Germany has a new all time high temp record.  105.4 °F.  This guys, in Central Europe!

The blond weather cutie grinned and smiled and told us tomorrow will be the same, just more humidity.  Ugh!

Went to the local Walmart today to pick up a few odds and ends. They have a new policy there.. there's an employee who stands by the doors and looks over your receipt before they let you leave.

Now I know that a lot of Walmart shoppers use their "five finger discount" when the "shop" there, so I can't blame Walmart for trying to catch some of these lowlifes. I would do the same. But what Walmart is doing is completely pointless. The little Walmart employee (usually a tiny, elderly woman) takes your receipt, looks at it, gives you a quick once over, hands back the receipt and says "have a nice day." In fact, most of the time they just smile at me and don't even ask to see my receipt at all. Guess I don't look like a shoplifter... :D

But even when they ask to see your receipt, they don't actually cross-check your receipt with that's in your shopping cart.

So the point of this little exercise is...???

All this accomplishes is to hold up people who are trying to leave the store. It's a completely useless little charade.

Last time I bought DuPont's chameleon colors for real cars, about 2008 or '9, they were around $400 per quart, or $1600 per gallon.

Stuff's expensive.

Why?

It's not like there's ground up diamonds in there. What on Earth can possibly justify a cost like that? I mean, besides "because they can."

Man, I hate this new "combine all your posts into one reply" thing. Very annoying.. :angry:

perhaps giving the little old lady a job, a few bucks, and a couple of hours away from her apartment, is reason enough?

it could be her only social interaction. 

If that's true, then I don't mind the backup at the doors. But as far as actually cutting down on shoplifting, this new procedure is basically useless.

Makes no sense to me what is she going to do if she was to come across a thug or two shoplifting ? 

Seems Walmart is putting her in Harms Way

I guess they could give her a whistle and she could blow the whistle for Walmart?

Don aka XJ6 ? 

With everything I have to deal with lately my rider mowers transaxle just striped out so now I have to try and find another one so I can cut grass...rains it pours...:blink:

Mark, ya gotta start Fertilizing With Ortho Ground Clear and Mowing with a Rototiller! You only need to do that once a Year.

With everything I have to deal with lately my rider mowers transaxle just striped out so now I have to try and find another one so I can cut grass...rains it pours...:blink:

Mark, did you check the belt that runs it? On my old Craftsman, the belt went bad, and the tranny would not work.

Thanks for the tip Lee but its toast...gears are striped out in it.  Its a Craftsman LT1000 rider with a 6 speed right hand side shifter.

The Eucalyptus Trees were in and of themselves a Major failed experiment that to this day Haunt California. Good to read your Mothers Friend and the Firefighter made it through it Ok.

Hey buddy got rid of the eucalyptus tree. Found that I might have a lurking bear (scratches in tree), so I'll be walking the dogs around the outside of the property. The wood will be trucked to a local charity in Eureka. I will end up loading it with my left hand as I shattered a bone in my Right wrist, a Carpal bone think they said pisiform. Pain is just weakness leaving the body. The next thing to do is remove the stump.

Grind it, yank it out or burn it out? not a fan of the last as CA is on fire and water is at a min around here. Could rent a stump grinder or removal crew. The tractor might pull it.?….. Just so much could go wrong with that. step back and think as thats all I'm supposed to do for awhile, but when I'm heeled a little there will be plenty to do. And yes I did split wood this morning with my left hand I love a good challenge. I think my real challenge will be to rest. I don't like to not do things around here. so maybe do some one hand modeling.    

Good Job! Heck you might call the Charity and see if they'll come and haul it off!? If you wern't worried about Bears prior to finding the scratchs it dosen't look like now's the time to start as they look to be several years old. From the sounds of it you've got a LOT of weakness that's wanting to get out.

If the Stump isn't in the way why not just let it rot on it's own? Bore some holes in it and mount Whirly Gigs in it in the mean time! So what do you have there, a 50's Case 300?

Hope that hand heals real soon. 

perhaps giving the little old lady a job, a few bucks, and a couple of hours away from her apartment, is reason enough?

it could be her only social interaction. 

If that's true, then I don't mind the backup at the doors. But as far as actually cutting down on shoplifting, this new procedure is basically useless.

Harry, i asked the lady in electronics when i bought my television how someone on the news the day before stole a 1000 dollar television that was on the news. She said ; they slipped the alarm off the manager has to remove because it was to loose.  I am still thinking inside job because the alarm at the door should have went off....

Bought a bottle of brush cleaner. The bottle is convenient for brushes based on size.

I re-charge it every so often with fresh paint thinner. Works out well.

Charlie Larkin