Model Cars Magazine Forum

new shop (Time to pack)

How would you build a new shop. We are buying a new house so it means new TOY BOX if it were you what would be on your wish list,for the shop already has central air/and heat..

Empty 10X8 room??????????? help!!!!!!!

Edited by b_lever1

I would look at organizing it so clutter was kept to a minimum. Shelving and a good workbench setup as well as proper lighting would be top priority for me.

If you have the ability to set up a separate spray area, that would be another ideal thing to add.

Send us pictures when you have it done!

First off, congrats on the new house, we just got one too and it's a great feeling to be able to put up shelves and the like without worrying about screws or nails in the walls . My wife and I both have hobbies( hers is painting miniature houses for Christmas decorations ), so I built a good size table for us to both work at comfortably. The legs of the table ares shelving units which helps with storage. There is also a good size closet in the room for model storage. We each have out own magnifying light, which is very helpful. There is also some overhead lighting but as the budget allows, we will be replacing it with something better suited to our hobbies. There is a large window which allows for good , natural light during the day and I made an adapter for the window ( a piece of plywood with good dryer vent ) so I can spray in the room relatively easy. When I'm not using it I just pull the adapter out. I have an 80 gallon compressor in my garage which luckily happens to be directly under the " hobby office ". I drilled a small hole in the floor and t-d the line off the compressor, then insulated the hole for sound. Now I have compressed air 24/7 and if I'm up late it's very quiet. I also put a regulator on the upstairs end of the air line. We have a small desktop style stereo and since our computers are also in the room and we have the dish network we can have live TV in the room or what ever we happen to have on the DVR. I guess all we need now is a dorm room fridge and we'd be all set ..LOL.. Good luck in setting up your room how you like it and again, congrats on the new house !!!

The most important thing is a locking door. :lol:

We may have good ideas for us but you have to work in the space.

Good size work bench , shop around if you do not have a favorite one yet. Anything from a good solid door, an old metal office desk to a counter top will work.

A good chair.

Do not forget your storage space and or a peg board on wall by bench.

Spray booth .

Connection for TV and Internet.

You forgot to tell us how much we get to spend. :lol:

Congrats on the new house .

Thanks on the house it's been a long time coming kids all grown up it's old house to big.Downsize time only space for toys in old place 4X5 room built out of need to get some peace(5 kids)got most everything. Just what to do with all this new space. Andy lots spend lots and drop it off LOL..Will be getting most everything new except my chair and dog.Got him 2 years ago.

Go slow at first Bob. Buy the lock first to keep unwanted stuff out ! :lol:

An 8 x 10 hobby cave will fill up fast.

I do like my counter top from Menards. The back splash keeps the parts from falling off the back.

The only thing is you will need to get something to set it on. That would give you a reason to buy cabnets to put stuff in.

2 Benchs or seperate work areas (1 'clean' for assembly and 1 'dirty' for sanding etc), spray booth (properly vented outside) and a drying cabinet, compressor and airbrush of course, racks for paint (maybe a solvent cabinet for paints, thinners etc, also vented outdoors), racks, cabinet or shelving for unbuilt model kit boxes...are you displaying your finished models in there as well or just a workshop? Enclosed cabinets are great for keeping dust off models! There are some decent display cabinets available, but are spendy. IKEA has a few that could work, or watch garage/yard sales or antique/used furnishings shops. That should fill up the space pretty quick! Another thing I thought of is a shelf train or slot car layout around the top of the walls of my office...been trying to research as lots of possibilities out there! I probably have enough AFX HO track or Eldon 1/32 track!

Without being stupid a lock why no kids at home anymore, just wife,dog,cat, and me. Dog always chases cat from anywhere near shop that is his and my space

Bob, if I read this right, you are asking me why I want a lock? I've had some issues in the, not so distant, past. So, I like my workspace to be secured from straying eyes and hands.

Edited by Skydime

Without being stupid a lock why no kids at home anymore, just wife,dog,cat, and me. Dog always chases cat from anywhere near shop that is his and my space

Must not have grandkids yet, and the wife must respect your space. you never know what might end up in your room. It only takes up a little room. LOL

Coming from a large family I have different worries than most people.

Yes to grand kids 1 the rest of our kids can not be ours LOL you understand we had 3 in diapers at one time.7 children total all over 21. Wife never had any problems she cleans it once a week she love building also great detail painter

If you are on Facebook you may want to check out my group called Scale Modelling Work Spaces. It's a group specifically just for our modeling workshops. Lot's of ideas..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/533013200112185/

WOW this place just blew my budget LOL one thing I have never had just quik notice PEG BOARD going back for more joining this tons of very cool work spaces and ideas for building a workshop

Edited by b_lever1

Yes to grand kids 1 the rest of our kids can not be ours LOL you understand we had 3 in diapers at one time.7 children total all over 21. Wife never had any problems she cleans it once a week she love building also great detail painter

Bob you are a lucky guy, your wife likes your hobby.

My parents had 8 kids in 8 years, no twins, two in the same year and than 4 kids after that . Having 8 sisters is not fun, LOL. This is why I say a lock. Funny I think that way because mom does not like dads hobby of fishing but would never touch his stuff, my sisters on the other hand........ LOL

Good luck with your shop.

Lighting is key.... Good bright lighting with a couple clip on the desk style bright hobby lights.

A nice comfortable chair is a must...

I like the L-shaped desks that you can get at Staples, etc. Some of them are large, Multi-tiered, fairly inexpensive and perfect for model building.

Lots of shelves and a peg board behind the desk at an arms length.

Cable and a TV is a must too. It would be for me.

As far as the door lock, I'd not need one either. If you have to lock your wife out of your hobby room there are bigger problems at hand IMHO LOL

I sometimes think of the house I would build if I won the lottery. I'd have one heck of a hobby room if I did LOL. Actually I would build a barn garage for my cars with the whole upstairs as my hobby/music area.

I thought this might be helpful to you, or anybody else really. I was going thru some older mags I have and found this supplement I got in an issue of fine scale modeler. Some of them are kind of obvious , but some not so much. I've found them pretty helpful. Hope they help y'all too..

post-7221-0-16058800-1380985232_thumb.jp

post-7221-0-76261800-1380985238_thumb.jp

post-7221-0-20737600-1380985246_thumb.jp

post-7221-0-52132600-1380985252_thumb.jp

post-7221-0-11201700-1380985263_thumb.jp

post-7221-0-26620500-1380985274_thumb.jp

post-7221-0-30469700-1380985293_thumb.jp

post-7221-0-25958800-1380985307_thumb.jp

post-7221-0-68062100-1380985330_thumb.jp

post-7221-0-26797500-1380985339_thumb.jp

post-7221-0-85008500-1380985437_thumb.jp

Edited by KingSix

Thanks for all the ideas everyone. Just have to wait on all the normal stuff with buying house we did find one, offer done and agreed on just bank and legal stuff. Basement is drywalled and insulated 872 sq ft of hobby room.I think I've died and gone hobby heaven,please don't wake me :) :) :) how many kits will fit in that space ???? :lol: :lol:

What a week the deal is done.Nov15 moving Nov 16 set up shop.Well it is time to pack up shop buy new benches,paint shop 57 Corvette Teal.Then start building the dream shop central air,gets hot here in the summer,laminate flooring,walls dry walled and plastered, no paint. Will post pictures and share

Are you any good at carpentry, electrical etc? I found I was much happier building my own work bench, paint rack etc because I made everything to fit my stuff, instead of trying to find spice racks, work tables etc that sort of worked.

I built a workbench of the perfect height (for me), and I measured the depth from a sitting position so I could just comfortably reach the far side to maximize storage and usable work space. You can buy some nice work tables, but its always better if you have one custom fit for your size. Lights are always nice, I went with track lighting over the bench. It is easy to install and very adaptable. I can easily add more lighting or rearrange the existing lighting (the lights are a quarter turn to add or remove). If you want to get fancy, under cabinet lighting makes it easier to find dropped parts on the floor.

That said there are lots of commercial items that are cheap and useful. The closet organizer area of my local Home Depot turned up some shoe shelves that made great under workbench storage shelves for spray paint and my stalled projects (which I store in clear plastic shoe boxes). When we moved into the house we found a small 3 drawer dresser that fits perfectly under the work bench where it makes a nice storage for my resin kits and parts. There are tons of parts organizers (clear plastic drawers) which work great for parts and paint bottles.

Thanks for the ideas 15 X15 room.I need 4 benches 2 for my cars,1 for paint booth, and one for my other toys 10th scale Chris Craft 48ft Corvette RC boat.here a picture of the shop

post-6187-0-43930800-1381452183_thumb.jp this is called Retirement home. Down size in house children are grown up